Fast Charger Cable Not Included - Huh?

To be honest, this was so much a sellers market that all i ever got as a "discount" was a set of petrol ZS EHS mats.

I know they are not a perfect fit, but i will just use them for a while and if i dont like them i will buy a set of mats that fits, myself.

He said it directly, when i pressed him for some sort of discount..."We can not get as many cars as we can sell so i am not allowed to give you any discount, because as my boss says, if you don't want to pay full price, someone else will"

Not happy about that, but i have to agree with him, this is a sellers market.

Also, i was offered a car, delivered only 1 month after i ordered it, and i have read the stories of people ordering late last year that has been told they have to wait until Q3 2022, so i am just happy to get it as fast as it is.

I still think the cable should be included as I have posted in another thread. My argument with the dealer was that on the website it lists charging times for different KW chargers but doesn't mention anywhere that you will need to buy extra equipment to achieve these speeds. Therefore the cable should be included. They have agreed to throw one in FOC this was after the sale and after paying in full so quite good of them really. I would advise anyone to contact their dealer and try to get one included.

I still think the cable should be included as I have posted in another thread. My argument with the dealer was that on the website it lists charging times for different KW chargers but doesn't mention anywhere that you will need to buy extra equipment to achieve these speeds. Therefore the cable should be included. They have agreed to throw one in FOC this was after the sale and after paying in full so quite good of them really. I would advise anyone to contact their dealer and try to get one included.
Isn't this a bit like when a mobile phone manufacturer says their phone will do XX Watt charging, but they only add a charger that does less, in the package.

I have a Samsung tablet, that will charge at 45W, but i only got a 15W charger in the package.

The car has a granny charger, and you do not need the cable if you only ever granny charge or charge at public fastchargers. (Or at home with your home charger with a fixed lead.)

You could turn the question around.... If the cable was included, it would just be added to the price of the car for everyone, and why should people that are contend with granny charging or fast charging or have a home charger that has a built in cable, pay extra for a cable they are not likely to ever use. ?

It's a fair comparison but I would say the fast charge cable is as essential as a spare tyre/repair kit.

Example:
When you are down to your last 10miles of range due to an unexpected diversion and 30miles from home, you pull up to the public charging port to find that its not a tethered charger and you don't have a type 2 cable.

If my phone takes an extra 20 minutes to charge it's not a problem. If my car takes 2 hours to add 30 miles of range then that is a problem.

It's a fair comparison but I would say the fast charge cable is as essential as a spare tyre/repair kit.

Example:
When you are down to your last 10miles of range due to an unexpected diversion and 30miles from home, you pull up to the public charging port to find that its not a tethered charger and you don't have a type 2 cable.

If my phone takes an extra 20 minutes to charge it's not a problem. If my car takes 2 hours to add 30 miles of range then that is a problem.

Offcourse but my take on it, is that they do supply A mean to charge your car, but not EVERY mean to charge your car.

As said, i have not got my car yet so i don't know for sure, but from what i have read, they only deliver the car with a pump and "goo" to try and mend your tyre...If you want a spare tyre (Emergency / full size) you will have to buy it seperately.

If i am right, the supply you with A way to keep going if you encounter a flat tyre, but not "every" option.

I suspect the need to carry a Type 2 cable is a "right now" problem, and in the future, the number of chargers with an attached Type 2 or CCS charging cable/connector will rise considerably, negating the need to carry your own cable.

I can see your point, but as they are not likely making huge amounts of money on the car, at the price they have it sitting at, they need to make money off of "after sales".

Car dealers / garages have had 3 sources of income.

1. Car sales
2. Selling extra stuff with / for the car
3. Repair and maintenance

There has not been huge margins on the car sales, so they had to sell you as much extra kit and packages for the car, but this was/is often a one time deal, at the time of purchase, and the major part of the money they make is repair and maintenance.

With electric cars, a lot of the repair and maintenance has gone, There is no oil's that needs changing every year, there is no belts that need changing every X miles, there is no exhaust system that needs changing, there are no spark plugs, no ignition coils, no timing or valves to adjust and so on.

So the biggest source of income has been drastically reduced, so they need, now more than ever to have something to sell to you, to make extra money at the time of sale.

It would have been nice for them to add the cable free of charge, even if it was just used as a bargaining chip to make you buy the car, but on the other hand, it's a one time purchase of about £200 and the cable can be transferred between cars in the future.

I expect to be using my cable less than 10 times a year as the home charger i bought, has a cable and Type 2 connector, and most times i have to travel beyond the range of the car, i would want to fast charge it as a CCS charger to get going fast.

Offcourse but my take on it, is that they do supply A mean to charge your car, but not EVERY mean to charge your car.

As said, i have not got my car yet so i don't know for sure, but from what i have read, they only deliver the car with a pump and "goo" to try and mend your tyre...If you want a spare tyre (Emergency / full size) you will have to buy it seperately.

If i am right, the supply you with A way to keep going if you encounter a flat tyre, but not "every" option.

I suspect the need to carry a Type 2 cable is a "right now" problem, and in the future, the number of chargers with an attached Type 2 or CCS charging cable/connector will rise considerably, negating the need to carry your own cable.

I can see your point, but as they are not likely making huge amounts of money on the car, at the price they have it sitting at, they need to make money off of "after sales".

Car dealers / garages have had 3 sources of income.

1. Car sales
2. Selling extra stuff with / for the car
3. Repair and maintenance

There has not been huge margins on the car sales, so they had to sell you as much extra kit and packages for the car, but this was/is often a one time deal, at the time of purchase, and the major part of the money they make is repair and maintenance.

With electric cars, a lot of the repair and maintenance has gone, There is no oil's that needs changing every year, there is no belts that need changing every X miles, there is no exhaust system that needs changing, there are no spark plugs, no ignition coils, no timing or valves to adjust and so on.

So the biggest source of income has been drastically reduced, so they need, now more than ever to have something to sell to you, to make extra money at the time of sale.

It would have been nice for them to add the cable free of charge, even if it was just used as a bargaining chip to make you buy the car, but on the other hand, it's a one time purchase of about £200 and the cable can be transferred between cars in the future.

I expect to be using my cable less than 10 times a year as the home charger i bought, has a cable and Type 2 connector, and most times i have to travel beyond the range of the car, i would want to fast charge it as a CCS charger to get going fast.
I purchased a type 2 cable, although I have a tethered wall box.
It lives in the boot of the car all of the time.
It’s a catch net really !.
I looked at this way, you are on a pre planned trip, that did not require charging on route.
But you are diverted from your original route due to an accident or some thing similar.
Now you need a charge.
You locate a couple of chargers close by.
Head off to the charger, to find it is a free to use unit, but you need a cable to connect to it !.
Now all of a sudden, you pat yourself on the back for purchasing one !.
Always have a back up plan with an EV.
Some dealers WILL throw one in as part of the deal, but in reality it is built into the price of what you pay for the car.
You don’t get nothing for nothing these days.

I got a type 2 cable with my Zoe, but not a granny charger. I have used the type 2 on numerous occasions, at hotels, supermarkets, shopping centers etc., but never needed a granny charger. I got a 7kW wall charger as part of the deal with the car.
I can pretty much guarantee that the granny charger I get with my ZS Ev (when it eventually arrives!) will remain in its packing during the whole time I own the vehicle. The DC charging on the ZS will give me access to a whole lot more tethered chargers (My Zoe only has AC charging up to 22kW)

I got a type 2 cable with my Zoe, but not a granny charger. I have used the type 2 on numerous occasions, at hotels, supermarkets, shopping centers etc., but never needed a granny charger. I got a 7kW wall charger as part of the deal with the car.
I can pretty much guarantee that the granny charger I get with my ZS Ev (when it eventually arrives!) will remain in its packing during the whole time I own the vehicle. The DC charging on the ZS will give me access to a whole lot more tethered chargers (My Zoe only has AC charging up to 22kW)
I agree !.
My Granny lead is happy hanging on a peg on the wall of my internal garage.
It is happy to live there, until we decide to go away for a couple of days and I know the charging infrastructure will be rubbish.
Then the Granny and the 2.5 mm extension cable I made, gets a trip out into the countryside !.
Couple of days of use ( maybe ) then back on its peg on the wall, it has an easy life really !.
They are a handy back up when you make trips into areas ( mid Wales ) where the chargers are more rare that Bobby Horse sh#t.
Now I have the V2L cable as well in the boot, it could come a handy partner for the Granny lead, if somebody urgently needs a charge and can not make it !.
A bit of juice transfer from one EV to another.

Does anyone else think it’s a bit silly that the fast charger cable is not included when you are effectively spending £30k on a vehicle.

Almost like the ‘batteries not included’ cop out. Makes me feel a little short changed.

That said, anyone have a recommendation for a decent one which I should now purchase?
I asked my dealer for one before I signed for my ZS Trophy and they gave me the cable with the car back in January when I took delivery.

My 5 came with a type 2 and granny cable. I'm not on the affinity scheme. Asked the dealer before I bought it if it came with cables, it did.

Does anyone else think it’s a bit silly that the fast charger cable is not included when you are effectively spending £30k on a vehicle.

Almost like the ‘batteries not included’ cop out. Makes me feel a little short changed.

That said, anyone have a recommendation for a decent one which I should now purchase?
I feel the same too! & I would appreciate any recommendations 😁

I think it is acceptable not to come with a type 2 cable. I bought the my MG ZS EV (in Australia) knowing it did not come with a type 2 cable (it only came with the "granny charger"), but when I had a 7kW type 2 charger installed at my house, the charger included the type 2 cable, so I did not need one. Some chargers come with a cable attached, others are "BYO Cable", so rather than price the cable into the sale price of the car for everyone, they allow people to buy a charger with a cable without ending up with "a spare" type 2 cable in the boot.

On the MG site and car accessories page they sell type 2 cables, however they are £236. I presume any any type 2 cable from Amazon etc will work ok?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom