Faulty HV Battery

insight

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I should be driving a nice new MG ZS ev Trophy from last week. But.
Car is at the dealer awaiting a very big repair (I have not seen or driven the car yet and probably never will)
During the PDI the car wouldn't charge and they think some cells are faulty!!!
Dealer is arranging for car to be lifted to MG for the battery to be repaired.
I have been given 2 options and both are bad.
1 Full refund. reorder without glass roof, no grant and wait.
2 wait for MG to repair which could take weeks and live with a brand new car which has the battery opened and repaired I would always be worried about the waterproofing and having different batches of cells in a pack.
I need a full report of the exact fault from MG so I know how to proceed.
At present dealer has been paid and I have no car.

Car is at the dealer awaiting a very big repair (I have not seen or driven the car yet and probably never will)
2 wait for MG to repair which could take weeks and live with a brand new car which has the battery opened and repaired I would always be worried about the waterproofing and having different batches of cells in a pack.
doubt they would mess about with changing cells they will swap out the battery pack.

There should be an option 3. From the many stock cars that are on order you should be given the exact model that you ordered. They are still manufacturing the exact model that you ordered.

If the grant has already been applied to the faulty car then they could swap your car and sort out paperwork after the grant application has settled.

Thinking about it another way - Surely if a car is written off in the first week of ownership there is a way of swapping onto an identical car without having to pay the grant back? You could have a similar scenario only your car is faulty rather than written off.

Option 2 is not a bad choice though if they are going to replace the battery with a complete brand new one. I would not accept a repair to the battery. I would doubt that they have the facilities in the UK to fully test and certify a repair. It is not a simple job to replace cells and the best test rig to fully test and ensure safe / certify is at the end of the production line in China. (This also brings into question if the battery was fully tested in the first place)

Would your insurance be happy with a repaired battery pack?

The fact that you have paid in full for a car and not even seen it must be be very disappointing and I do feel for you. Hope you get this resolved soon.

How was the dealer paid, but no actual delivery to you of a fully working new car took place? Via a finance agreement or something?

1. You get your money back, but then pay them more in the long run? I wouldn't go for it.

I don't see why they can't replace the whole battery pack. It should be something they are prepared to do for any of their cars still covered by their warranty, if needed.

I would expect them to replace the battery pack if indeed there are issues with the current one. This is not a particularly difficult job and on the plus side you will be assured that you have a fully checked and 100% battery, so definately I would go for option 2.
At least it shows that your garage is carrying out pre delivery checks efficiently, and if the car goes to MG I am sure they will also carry out the full checks on the car (you can also ask them to check that all software is up to date and fully functional).
Perhaps a cloud withn a silver lining?

I would expect them to replace the battery pack if indeed there are issues with the current one. This is not a particularly difficult job and on the plus side you will be assured that you have a fully checked and 100% battery, so definately I would go for option 2.
At least it shows that your garage is carrying out pre delivery checks efficiently, and if the car goes to MG I am sure they will also carry out the full checks on the car (you can also ask them to check that all software is up to date and fully functional).
Perhaps a cloud withn a silver lining?
Reading the initial post they have not offered to replace but repair the existing battery. As per my previous post I would not accept a repaired battery, but would accept a brand new battery fitted.

Seeing as you have paid for the car and it is faulty you should also be supplied with a replacement car while it is fixed.

Reading the initial post they have not offered to replace but repair the existing battery. As per my previous post I would not accept a repaired battery, but would accept a brand new battery fitted.

Seeing as you have paid for the car and it is faulty you should also be supplied with a replacement car while it is fixed.
Yes, thats why I said I would expect them to replace the battery?

This should be one of the first things offered. I'd also want to followup with MG myself to ensure the issue has been escalated, and to find out whom can approve the cost of a courtesy car (if the dealership hasn't a demo to loan).

I can't see the car being returned to China if OP takes the other option, so then presumably they eventually fix the issue and the dealer does what..? Sell it new at a markup?

I believe if it's within a certain timeframe, you can ask for a replacement car of the same spec, not just a replacement battery.

I have a Trophy SR registered on 30/06, I haven't collected or taken delivery yet due to a battery fault.

The original dealer couldn't charge the car so tried to do some updates to the battery BMS
this failed. On the day of collection dealer called to say the car was faulty. Wasted train tickets:(.
The car was there for about a week and a half.
I asked MG directly after and this was their response "in summary, it has not been a problem regarding diagnosis, it has been a discussion regarding the technicians qualification and ability that has been holding up the process"
The car was transported to one of their larger sites.
MG further response "We were informed on the 2 August, that the technician at the dealership is happy to carry out the work at this branch so this matter should be resolved shortly."

No loan car was provided so I asked for a EV loan car or I'll rent one.
14/08 Train trip to collect loan car. They are now demanding it back because it's a CUSTOMER CAR.
8 weeks and they state the car is fixed. Replaced one cell module in the battery pack.
My confidence in this car is very low.

The dealer group did mention getting a 72 reg of the same specs in September. Then his colleague completely changed the offer to "
We can order a new car for you the same specification and colour, however, this can take up to 30 weeks to arrive, it would also be more expensive for you now as the Government Grant is no longer available. However we are happy to do this if this is something you would prefer.
Your car was repaired by our qualified technicians and as such there is no danger of water ingress etc. Your MG warranty would also cover anything like this."

The car is ready
I can't pick it up yet as the dealer hasn't written down how they will reimburse me for car finance, insurance, train tickets, time etc yet. my new car will be 2 months old, less warranty etc.

Why am I still waiting I should have rejected it. A replacement will be more money
quote from the dealer manager stated they are happy to refund because they can sell it for more money now.

In summary, the HV pack was removed from the car and then, stripped to replace a battery cell pack and reinstalled due to

This is my experience so far wish me luck as I am losing patience.

Last edited:
In summary, the car had issues with the cell BMS module no comms. The original technician had difficulties with the software uploading the firmware to these modules. :unsure: from MG "discussion regarding the technicians qualification and
So, just to clarify the situation.
Has the HV pack been removed from the car and then, stripped to replace a fault battery cell pack and reinstalled ?.
I somehow doubt this some how to be totally honest.
Or has the car just received a BMS update ( which the first dealer was unable to perform ) to clear the fault codes, that had originally prevented the car from receiving a charge ?.

The HV pack was removed stripped to replace battery cell/BMS module and reinstalled.

Original dealer tried to perform a BMS update to clear the fault code that had originally prevented the car from receiving a charge.
After this there was no communication to the cell BMS module hence the cell was changed.

My 101-day-old MG ZS ev still with 9 miles on it.
Hendy has been entirely useless and well it's over 3 months and they haven't delivered my car yet.
What happened: car wouldn't charge after PDI
The technician was using the wrong software on his laptop and tried updating it
The battery pack now has a bricked or faulty module within the battery pack.
car was transported to their other site.
It was there for many weeks first they replaced the BMS then the CMU module.
The technician has Hyundai training so they felt confident to do a battery repair instead of sending it to MG Longbridge which MG suggested.
After complaining they gave me a loan car which was promptly taken away because it was a customer's car!
The brand manager promised a new car for September which they backtracked on.
I have been less than confident with the repair of the car.
I made it very clear that I needed test results and that an air tightness test was needed on the battery after opening it up to ensure it was rated to IP67
No results / No tests
They then promised to do the test. Removing battery again. this time recording it.
And I receive a useless video of an air regulator gauge and not the measuring pressure gauge. The gauges didn't have the precision needed for the test.

Added some pics of the underside of the car.

Attachments

• opera_nJIFBItzpG.png
    opera_nJIFBItzpG.png
    840.7 KB · Views: 97
  • opera_ZZrBkKMfPU.png
    opera_ZZrBkKMfPU.png
    630.7 KB · Views: 101
  • image_2022-10-10_234940772.png
    image_2022-10-10_234940772.png
    536.5 KB · Views: 92
  • car.png
    car.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 105
Has MG come back with anything further since you last contacted them, or have you escalated the issue? What reason was given for backtracking on a new car?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry should have continued thread.
they offered a new car for september stating we can get you a allocation and he would talk to MG and get thid done.
then they email
"
We can order a new car for you the same specification and colour, however this can take up to 30 weeks to arrive, it would also be more expensive for you now as the Government Grant is no longer available. However we are happy to do this if this is something you would prefer.

Your car was repaired by our qualified technicians and as such there is no danger of water ingress etc. Your MG warranty would also cover anything like this.

The repair time of 6 weeks was including us investigating the fault and speaking with MG Technical as we needed to investigate which area the fault lay in, the repair only took a few hours in our Poole workshop to complete."

After weeks of asking for workshop reports of what exactly was done to the car I had to submit a GDPR request to get the infomation on what was repaired.

with a 6 week repair time I am going to question everything!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom