Features unavailable after 12v battery was disconnected

PaulAshby

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I have only had my new MG4 a couple of weeks and today it refused to charge from either of my cables, usually I just charge it from the granny cable as I have way too much solar during the day so let the car take some of it.
After reading posts here that suggested disconnecting the 12V battery I tried that, afterwards the car again started charging.
Unfortunately when it was turned on it wanted all the windows wound down and the put back up and proceeded to give me a list of features that are now unavailable.
Left the car off for a few hours and went back for another look but it is the same.
Any ideas how I get things back to normal or it it going to need a call for assistance?

Take the car for a drive. We also had similar when we were told to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to reset everything. Drive for a mile or so and most of the alerts should be gone

Was also somthing about holding the window button upp for some seconds (5?) after the window fully closed to reset window endstop memory after 12v disconnect.
That's usual, I had to do the same thing with my Focus after changing the battery.

Well, you learn something new every day. Having the same car for 17 years one tends to fall behind the curve . Expecting delivery in the next 6 weeks so hoping I can remember all I,ve read in the last few months, ( although a few comments have been mentally binned ). Were these solutions in the user manual?

Take the car for a drive. We also had similar when we were told to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to reset everything. Drive for a mile or so and most of the alerts should be gone
I did a 30 mile trip without the warnings clearing but after I finished my meeting and headed home the warning had all cleared :)
Thanks so much for the help.

So I seem to have this problem again today, not happy at all.
I disconnected the battery, reconnected after 5-10 minutes, drove it round the village and back, plugged in and refused to charge still. I notice it keeps locking the charger then releasing again, does that several times before giving up.
Tried the same thing again and was definitely over 10 mins, had to drive my dad to the hospital that time, got home plugged in and it started charging on the 7kW Podpoint charger. After and hour it appears it decided to stop, I tried the app and in the car and it would not charge again.
so 3rd time disconnect battery etc... and refuses to charge still. I have it disconnected again now and will try after a decent while but this is pretty rubbish. Enough charge for my job tomorrow but then I am screwed.

So I seem to have this problem again today, not happy at all.
I disconnected the battery, reconnected after 5-10 minutes, drove it round the village and back, plugged in and refused to charge still. I notice it keeps locking the charger then releasing again, does that several times before giving up.
Tried the same thing again and was definitely over 10 mins, had to drive my dad to the hospital that time, got home plugged in and it started charging on the 7kW Podpoint charger. After and hour it appears it decided to stop, I tried the app and in the car and it would not charge again.
so 3rd time disconnect battery etc... and refuses to charge still. I have it disconnected again now and will try after a decent while but this is pretty rubbish. Enough charge for my job tomorrow but then I am screwed.
Just a shot in the dark but what percentage have you told it to charge to?

Early on in my EV experience, we were having issues charging at home and it turned out the voltage coming into our property was far too high, and the charger shut off at the Consumer Unit end, as part of the safety protocol, which obviously resulted in us not being able to charge, as well as causing much confusion and frustration - it took a good number of months to get to the bottom of the problem.

It may well be worth checking the voltage at your property just to be on the safe side/rule that out. If it's on the high side of things, it would take little fluctuation upwards to trigger the charge point being shut off. I hope that makes sense for you

It has been charging to full, not sure where I would change that on the car.
After I put the power back on its been charging this time, just turned it off at 83%.
You can check and change the charging percentage on the iSmart app.
Open the app, tap the battery percentage bar, on the next screen below the battery graphic is a white arrow. This adjust the percentage of charge the car will charge up to.

Screenshot_20230609-062625.jpg

You can check and change the charging percentage on the iSmart app.
Open the app, tap the battery percentage bar, on the next screen below the battery graphic is a white arrow. This adjust the percentage of charge the car will charge up to.

View attachment 18169
I do not think that's the issue as I get the HV Battery warning up and I am pretty sure after I had the problem the first time I still made a couple of journeys after it stopped charging and it still refused to charge after the battery charge had dropped a lot.
It has done it again today and got me wondering if the problem is being caused on hot days.
I have it booked in at the local MD dealer next Friday so hopefully they will get an answer to the problem.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back