Fed up

SCB86

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I had my ZS brand new in December and it's been in the workshop 3 or 4 times now for rattles.

Originally the sunroof creaked and the A-Pillars rattled. When they had the car they told me the sunroof wasn't creaking and it was just the A-pillars rattling, despite me insisting the roof was creaking.
They replaced the A-pillar trims and declared it fixed.

A month later it was back in as the dashboard was creaking and the sunroof creaking to the point it couldn't be opened due to the noise.
They originally said the dashboard wasn't rattling but they had found a rattle on the passenger door card.

I told them it was definitely creaking from the dashboard where it joins the windscreen. They took it for a proper drove and said I was right, it was creaking from the dashboard.

They kept the car for two weeks and declared it was now rattle free from the door, dash and roof.
However the dashboard now knocks more than it did before and I am rapidly reaching the end of my tether with Budgens MG in Telford and with my car.

I know the car is cheap but you'd at least hope it was screwed together properly.

I agree. It’s a shame because it spoils the car. MG dealers are not great from what I’ve experienced and their product knowledge is poor. this makes getting warranty work satisfactorily completed a pain. My sunroof still also has intermittently creaks. I’ve tended to look at rattles myself because I know how frustrating it will be at dealerships and I’ve resigned myself that the warranty is there (I hope) for big ticket items should they fail.

I had my ZS brand new in December and it's been in the workshop 3 or 4 times now for rattles.

Originally the sunroof creaked and the A-Pillars rattled. When they had the car they told me the sunroof wasn't creaking and it was just the A-pillars rattling, despite me insisting the roof was creaking.
They replaced the A-pillar trims and declared it fixed.

A month later it was back in as the dashboard was creaking and the sunroof creaking to the point it couldn't be opened due to the noise.
They originally said the dashboard wasn't rattling but they had found a rattle on the passenger door card.

I told them it was definitely creaking from the dashboard where it joins the windscreen. They took it for a proper drove and said I was right, it was creaking from the dashboard.

They kept the car for two weeks and declared it was now rattle free from the door, dash and roof.
However the dashboard now knocks more than it did before and I am rapidly reaching the end of my tether with Budgens MG in Telford and with my car.

I know the car is cheap but you'd at least hope it was screwed together properly.
One of the big down sides of building an EV is, it really tests the build quality of any car.
Any trim rattles etc are bounced on by the driver straight away.
Noises that would hardly be noticeable in a ICE appear to my much louder and more of an annoyance in a EV due to the lack of any mechanical back ground noise.
Not that makes it okay to have poor build quality of course.
One of the big attractions of owning an EV is the silent cabin.
When your peace is spoilt by a rattling item of trim etc, it just bugs you to death !.
You can try to dismiss it, but you can’t.
It gets inside your head.
These rattles can be difficult to locate and rectify.
You fix one, then another one starts some where else.

Totally agree with everything you've said.
It's not helped by the dealer who thinks they know better than I do.
It's getting to the point where I'm thinking of rejecting it if it's not rectified this time.

Yes I agree. My issue is more about the standard of customer service and customer relationship management at the dealerships. My experience is that they are not great. If you go to them with an issue they should listen and try their best to make you happy. I’m not expecting them to always get it right but to listen to me as a customer and do their best. Sadly this hasn’t always been the case in my experience. Perhaps it stems from how they have been developed and where they have come from.

I feel your pain, we must've got lucky - haven't noticed any noises etc yet in ours.....

I'm surprised they haven't instructed you to use the built in fix, increase the radio volume lol.

Not sure you'd particularly want to try it, but expanding foam is great for filling spaces and keeping things in place!

I'm guessing I'm either lucky enough to not have many rattles, or I'm too deaf to hear them 🤦‍♂️🙉 The sunroof did have a slight rattle initially, but that seems to have gone away. I know trying to track them down is a mare. Spent many a time lying in the boot of the car while it was being driven over bumps to try and locate an annoying clunk or clatter.

I'm guessing I'm either lucky enough to not have many rattles, or I'm too deaf to hear them 🤦‍♂️🙉 The sunroof did have a slight rattle initially, but that seems to have gone away. I know trying to track them down is a mare. Spent many a time lying in the boot of the car while it was being driven over bumps to try and locate an annoying clunk or clatter.
I once spent ages trying to find a clunk coming from what I thought was under the car on braking on a Ford I had, eventually found a can of de-icer rolling back and forth under the passenger seat clunking against my subwoofer every time I braked. Doh !

Totally agree with everything you've said.
It's not helped by the dealer who thinks they know better than I do.
It's getting to the point where it' I'm thinking of rejecting it if it's not rectified this time.
Can you reject a Motability car?
Is it possible your wheelchair is creaking in the back and it's not the car?
Try being respectful to the Dealer and they will respect you.

Can you reject a Motability car?
Is it possible your wheelchair is creaking in the back and it's not the car?
Try being respectful to the Dealer and they will respect you.
Yes you can reject Motability cars for the same reasons you can reject any other new car.
I have been more than patient and fair with the dealer, but there is a limit to my good will.
The dealer left black oily prints on my roof lining when they replaced the A-Pillar posts, I contacted the dealer and they apologised and booked it in for a full valet. There was also a strange metallic transport sticker that had been left in the windscreen which they missed at the PDI and they were supposed to remove at the same time as the valet.
Got the car back and they had only washed and vacuumed it - had completely forgotten the oily fingerprints and sticker that it was in specifically to be sorted.

So that, including the fact they have told me on several occasions I'm wrong about rattles, creaks and knocks but then eventually they get the car and concede I was right, doesn't give me much confidence in the dealer.

SCB86 hi as stated earlier time to change dealers if possible and leave feedback in this forum about the one you have now so others can be aware of the bad service you have received from them
Les

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom