Findings in the wet with ESC off

Deleted member 14300

Reaction score
I got around today to try the Launch control. So ESC off, Sport mode, everything else turned off, I discovered it was quick. I thought I'd drive home with it off after as it would be an og experience. It was! Backend stepped out on a roundabout, I caught it as I've driven rwd since 1989 on and off.
It's a big respect to the ESC for limiting power, however it still attempt to step out so beware on very wet roads and be light footed.

* as an update also to blocking the camera, I now have no ABS also.
I can't wait for a week on friday to abandon it at MG for all the work.
Quite a worry from the point of view that the ABS fails due to the camera having no line of sight. I wonder if the Safety People properly test a car because how the hell does it get five stars from NCAP? Its effectively crippled by being blind.

I can't see why ABS would need to know (or even care) about what's in front of the car - ABS is based on wheel rotation (or lack thereof).

Did perhaps turning off ESC also turn off ABS?

I can't see why ABS would need to know (or even care) about what's in front of the car - ABS is based on wheel rotation (or lack thereof).

Did perhaps turning off ESC also turn off ABS?
ABS light could be linked to the stability as it'll stop braking each wheel individually with it turned off. Some manufacturers are better than others at this.

It doesn't make sense as wheel rotation is the only condition for ABS to work, but it flashes up on the display telling me drive carefully, but its off. It's seems that its lumped in with the camera accessing what's in front. Surely MG havent programmed it to use AI in ABS situations? OK, it's two weeks to getting it fixed, but if you were in a desperate situation awaiting the dealer to fix it, MG really need to sort out their service. I'm lucky because am old school and pre abs so I can drive and use the ole foot pump technique if i lock up. It was my choice to put a big decal over the camera to keep it off, and out of the hedge so to speak, but only do it yourself if you feel confident as a driver to tackle whats off. I'll give MG the chance to fix the car with the new parts etc, but if it does it again, I'll talk with motability about getting rid.

Last edited:
I reckon a lot of things but they ain't right. Either believe or don't.

The ESC also turn off the TRC? Do you feel that "launch control" with ESC off is quicker? Any wheelspin?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 539 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back