First 250+ mile trip down south in the MG4 LR

SWK74

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I am going on my first proper long trip in the MG4 Trophy LR. I'll be driving down to Southampton from N. Yorks, about 250 miles, so just wondering about experiences / tips people have of stops on the way and the like.

I think I might need to stop off a couple of times because I can only DC charge at the moment so I'll need to start about 80% rather than 100%. (Or should i just charge it to say 90% on DC and be done with it?) I'll need to stop off at least once, probably twice - for a rest and a coffee /sandwich. I should be able to granny charge at my destination.

1. What chargers should I aim for / avoid?
I'll probably need to stop somewhere between Nottingham and Leicester (might be too pushing it too far for Leicester though??). And then again hopefully south of Oxford. I am looking for somewhere with good coffee and lots of chargers so I don't have to worry about queues! Price is not my priority.

2. I always use Apple maps because it just works with traffic alerts and is accurate on ETAs. Would it be better to use something more EV focused like ABRP? Or do I lose the real time traffic?

If you use the A1 to Newark then the A46 to Leicester there is a 24 charger Osprey hub at 1Bradgate Mall, LE4 1DE. Then if you can get to the Redbridge Park and Ride at Oxford there is a Fastned hub there (think there may be a requirement for an hour parking ticket?).

Alternatively with a LR you might be able to reach the Osprey hub in Brackley? Used that one a few times and never had any problems or any sort of wait.

Last edited:
Enjoy ,😁👍
Did my first 250+ mile trip in mine last week.
What a car!! Brilliant.
May the traffic and weather be in your favour

Why not charge to 100%? On long trips I start at 100% with a range expectation currently of 220 miles. I then figure how much I want to arrive at me destination with - usually 20% or so - then do the maths - in your case start with 220 range less ending capacity desired = 176 effective range = top up en route of 74 miles would be needed or around 22KWh at least 74 miles into the journey. I regularly drive this distance and would only make a single charging stop.

Definitely download the Tesla app. There's bound to be somewhere en route you can charge (like Banbury). Simply add a payment card and you'll see which Superchargers are open to all EVs. I used Banbury, Stoke & Trafford Centre Manchester last weekend. So much cheaper.

Depending on where you start in North Yorks, I think you'll make it to Watford Gap services on the M1 if you kick off with 100% (I did it from Leeds Bradford Airport last month with only about 65% in my Trophy). There's a big bank of 10 to 15 newish Gridserve 150kw chargers there.

There's a Leon, McDonalds and Costa there.

Charge as high as you are able on the DC charger before setting off. (Obviously don't block a charger if people are waiting). Things slow down above 80%, and significantly so above 90% SOC, but you can still go to 95%+ if necessary.

We like Rugby services not far from where the M1/M6 merge. ABRP reckons you'll get there with 11% remaining, if you leave N.Yorks (I went with just east of Ripon) at 90% charged, but I've always found I have more charge than it predicts when we stop. You can charge again in Winchester or Eastleigh so you arrive with a decent SoC in Southampton. Play around with stops & routes on ABRP and you'll get some good routes come through.

Most importantly, enjoy the smooth ride (potholes aside!).

I can’t really give you much helpful advice on chargers as I’ve only ever used Mer public chargers here where I live

Just incase though you come across a Mer charger I’d say it is worth getting the Mer app downloaded & set up an account ( it’s free )

Majority of time I’ve used my debit card contactless with no issues but once I did get a message pop up on the Mer screen saying

“Doesn’t support this payment method” but then it worked fine using the app

Having it ready incase saves you sitting there 10 minutes downloading & registering your details before you can start a charge

Have a great & safe trip 👍

I'm guessing you'll be going the M1 / A43 / A34 route ?

Depending on where you live in N Yorks I'd top up at Tesla Harrogate to get up to around 95% charge and then you'll easily make M1 Watford Gap or even Roadchef at M1 J15A. Both have easy to use (but expensive) Gridserve chargers which are directly en-route and have service areas for a coffee etc.

I have personal experience of Watford Gap & Gridserve chargers and all went well👍

I got from North Leeds to Watford Gap with 44% left btw from full 100%

I'm guessing you'll be going the M1 / A43 / A34 route ?

Depending on where you live in N Yorks I'd top up at Tesla Harrogate to get up to around 95% charge and then you'll easily make M1 Watford Gap or even Roadchef at M1 J15A. Both have easy to use (but expensive) Gridserve chargers which are directly en-route and have service areas for a coffee etc.

I have personal experience of Watford Gap & Gridserve chargers and all went well👍

I got from North Leeds to Watford Gap with 44% left btw from full 100%
There are also rapids at Harrogate Sainsbury's now, on their own network.
More expensive than Tesla though.

There is a big Shell recharge station at Tot Hill Services on the A34, just south of Newbury. The site has a nearby Starbucks. When we stopped there, some months ago, the chargers were only giving 20 mins charge but it was free.

As an aside, if you are joining the A34 from the M40 at the Wendlebury interchange, there can be long queues on the M40 at times. Others with greater knowledge may be able to advise.

Those are great tips! I’ve put the locations into favourites and I seem to have an option all the way there pretty much. I’ve also downloaded the mer app - I have the same experience with BP Pulse where I prefer using the app because it always seems to just work, but there are always other drivers complaining about not getting the contactless to work (usually on the same charger).

I think the most confusing point has been the ABRP app. It keeps suggesting two stops whatever settings I use, and it must be because it underestimates how far I can drive and/or won’t let me charge above 60%. I get 135kW under 50% and a decent 60kW+ at higher %s (as mentioned above) so it’s
not as if it’ll be that long really. It might be a long coffee but I will need the break.

I’ll charge as close as I can to 100% beforehand and, using an estimate of 3.4 miles/kW, stop anywhere after Leicester, like @dawson2099 said. (Actually wattsup looks like a better app because it tells you the distance of chargers from the start which works well with my brain.) If I go the Banbury way then I’ll make sure to stop at the Tesla superchargers, although M1/A43/A34 was the route I was going for.

I’m really looking forward to it!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel