First 250+ mile trip down south in the MG4 LR

Update on the trip!

It was very positive and I made it all the way there with only one stop off to charge. I would have no issues with long (or longer) journeys in the future.

I started off at just over 90% charge and made it to Watford Gap services with about 25% charge. It was busy but I had no trouble finding a charger (on a bank holiday). I was back up to 80% within 20 minutes or so, peaking at over 135kW charging speed - honestly, I would have likely more time to drink my coffee! :)
I got to my destination with about 20% charge and charged up using a granny charger.

On the way back, I started out at 100% and stopped off at Donington Park services. This was not as great an experience... the signs for the chargers took me down a one-way route, and I accidentally paid to start the charge on the neighbouring car (he arrived at the same time) which seemed to confuse the machine but I got mine charging after a call and restart of the card machine. I got no more than about 60kW (two cars on the same charger?). I didn't really appreciate the longer wait (it was about 40 mins?). Had I arrived 5 minutes later, I might have had trouble finding a free 150kW charger.

So...
1. The car performed well. I was very comfortable with the 4.5 hour drive so the seats must be good. I do need to adjust the steering wheel height though - probably should have thought of that before now.
2. The services going north especially on the M1 are dire. There aren't many EV charging places which I find unbelievable on a major route.
3. On the other hand, I had loads of (decent) options on the way down and could have pushed it to Brackley if I had started out at 100%.
4. I came up with a rough rule of 2 miles range per 1% charge which worked well on the motorway sections. I ended up using my usual Apple Maps to navigate.
5. I had a couple of issues with spotify not playing (and I didn't want to stop to sort it out) but I listened to Radio 2 instead until I stopped. This happened on both legs so not sure what was going on.
6. The ACC was a god send in the torrential rain. I set it to 65mph with some continuous manual adjustment from me when it was safe, i.e. accelerating past slower cars, indicating and pulling out before it started to brake.
7. It was a bit chilly on the way back so the heated steering wheel and seat were welcome.

Haha ... glad all went well and you used exactly the same two public charging stations I used on our trip down south.

Not the cheapest chargers but at least they were very convenient for our trip 👍

Funnily enough I got better speeds at Donington in the far end slot. Full write up with photos here :-

Thanks for this feedback. I agree, charging facilities on the M1 around the East Midlands are poor. I've written to my local, Conservative, MP.

It was very positive and I made it all the way there with only one stop off to charge. I would have no issues with long (or longer) journeys in the future.
That's good to hear.
So...
2. The services going north especially on the M1 are dire. There aren't many EV charging places which I find unbelievable on a major route.
Yes, you have to be willing to get off the motorway to find good options, often in small villages or towns. It is slowly changing but motorway services aren't the best places to charge (also tend to be the most congested). It only takes 5-10 minutes to get off and find chargers in my experience.

Haha ... glad all went well and you used exactly the same two public charging stations I used on our trip down south.

Not the cheapest chargers but at least they were very convenient for our trip 👍

Funnily enough I got better speeds at Donington in the far end slot. Full write up with photos here :-

Haha. I read your post before I went! 😀

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel