First experience of public charging...

AidanTM

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Received my MG4 on Thursday. Long trip to deepest darkest Lancashire week after next so wanted to try public charging before then.

Today I went to Wimpole Hall, a national trust place 20 miles from me. Got there just before opening time thinking it would be quiet but found all the EV charging bays full. Including two taken up by drivers that weren't even plugged in 🤬

Parked in a regular bay and walking in could see a load of people leaving a park run so popped back out and managed to get a charging point.

Had a nice walk and got home with 80% charge having left home at 55% and it was a free charger 🤑. I got the best and worst of public EV charging in one visit!

For the trip to Lancashire I'm planning on using the Ionity chargers on Spitfire Close in Stafford just off the M6 J14 if anyone has experience of them?

Three times in ten days I have used public chargers which should have charged me money, but then found I had not been debited! In one case (a Gridserve at Gretna) I know the charger malfunctioned in the middle of charging (after giving me enough to get home on, thanks), but in the other two cases there was no readily apparent reason. In one case (with debit card) simply no debit on my card, in the other a record in my account of how long I'd been on the charger, but claiming no power had been drawn. Funny that, my car was at 100% when I got back to it!

Three times in ten days I have used public chargers which should have charged me money, but then found I had not been debited! In one case (a Gridserve at Gretna) I know the charger malfunctioned in the middle of charging (after giving me enough to get home on, thanks), but in the other two cases there was no readily apparent reason. In one case (with debit card) simply no debit on my card, in the other a record in my account of how long I'd been on the charger, but claiming no power had been drawn. Funny that, my car was at 100% when I got back to it!
;)are you sure you wasn`t in a Sainsburys car park { Free charging God bless em }

Hah, no. (I've never seen free charging at the Sainsbury's I use...)

The first one was a Blink type 2 charger in Halifax which I used three times. Only two debits showed up on my bank account, absolutely no sign of a debit for the third time. (The price was actually a rip-off, 69p per unit for type 2 charging, so I don't feel guilty.)

The second one was a Gridserve charger at Gretna services on the M74, 65p per unit for 50 KW CCS charging, but as I said the charger malfunctioned in the middle of charging so I suppose that's what did it. I saw a £1 authorisation charge pending in my account for a few days from that charger, but that simply disappeared with no actual debit appearing.

The third one was a ChargePlace Scotland type 2 charger in Glasgow, advertised price 40p per unit (with a £1 connection fee). My ChargePlace Scotland account shows correctly when I connected and how long I remained connected for, and it charged me the £1 connection fee, but then it claims that my car didn't get any charge! Oh yes it did...

I used a free ChargePlace Scotland charger last Monday. On that occasion my account noted everything correctly - the time I connected, the time I spent connected, and the amount of power drawn (3.87 KWh - I shouldn't have left home with a full charge!). It then merely recorded a price of £0.

Well, if I'd got hold of the Tesla driver using an EV bay without connecting to the charger it might have been!
Was it possible to park right up against their drivers door, and then plug your car in. would be interesting if they can defend their actions?

Received my MG4 on Thursday. Long trip to deepest darkest Lancashire week after next so wanted to try public charging before then.

Today I went to Wimpole Hall, a national trust place 20 miles from me. Got there just before opening time thinking it would be quiet but found all the EV charging bays full. Including two taken up by drivers that weren't even plugged in 🤬

Parked in a regular bay and walking in could see a load of people leaving a park run so popped back out and managed to get a charging point.

Had a nice walk and got home with 80% charge having left home at 55% and it was a free charger 🤑. I got the best and worst of public EV charging in one visit!

For the trip to Lancashire I'm planning on using the Ionity chargers on Spitfire Close in Stafford just off the M6 J14 if anyone has experience of them?
My son sent me a video of the exact opposite yesterday, a Tesla driver parked at a petrol pump while he went in to shop🤣

There's little doubt that it's the charging infrastructure people worry about most when they're thinking about switching to an EV. Problems getting fuel for an ICE car do happen, but they're quite rare. Most people can leave the house and drive off, secure in the knowledge that they'll be able to find fuel to buy in any reasonably-sized town, particularly in the daytime. Even at night, self-service petrol stations are becoming more common.

If EV drivers knew that they were virtually certain of being able to find a charging place with enough working chargers that they would have minimal or no delay, under a rainproof and lit canopy like a petrol forecourt, and maybe with a small lounge where they could buy a coffee while they waited, it would all be so different. It's not too much to ask, even railway platforms can offer a waiting room and a coffee/snacks machine.

Surely there's money to be made by providing the sort of facility lone women drivers aren't scared to call at?

It's about time some EV drivers realise the charging bays are for just that, not for parking in because you've got an EV. If I needed a "blocked " bay if I could block the car in I would, and have a nice talk with the other owner if it required 👹, cause that's the kind of guy I am, 🤷‍♂️

Question for those of you who have used public chargers.
Do you pay by bank card or do you have to use an app.
And if you can use your bank card, can you pay by Debit Card?
I will admit to being in my 70, so getting my excuses in early.
But I have downloaded zapmap and then chargepoint but it was not obvious (to me) how I would go about paying for charging.
I was hoping that public chargers would be as simple as paying for petrol.

I'm sure you've asked this question before ... and the answer is still the same - it depends. Any new charge point introduced in the past year (since April '22 I think) is required to accept contactless payment; many charge points already do. Others require either a specific RFID card, and/or a specific app.

Question for those of you who have used public chargers.
Do you pay by bank card or do you have to use an app.
And if you can use your bank card, can you pay by Debit Card?
I will admit to being in my 70, so getting my excuses in early.
But I have downloaded zapmap and then chargepoint but it was not obvious (to me) how I would go about paying for charging.
I was hoping that public chargers would be as simple as paying for petrol.
From my experience you can pay with both at some but not all chargers. The more expensive rapid ones tend to offer contactless payments but a lot need apps or cards linked to the individual charging network.
I currently keep 4 different in my car and most apps on my phone, and so far, I haven’t had an issue charging.

My tip would be to slowly create accounts in the different apps and await cards to arrive and keep safe. Then that way at least you have a 90% chance of being able to use any charger you need too

It can be as simple as paying for petrol, depending on the operator. Many of these things work contactless with a debit card and this is usually very simple. As I understand it, all new chargers installed since the beginning of last year are required to support contactless payment.

One word of warning. Some of the chargers that take contactless will take an "authorisation charge" on your account when you first present the card. This varies, I have seen £1 from Gridserve and £30 from Applegreen. Someone else reported one that took £45. Do not panic, you will not be charged that, but if your attempt to charge fails for some reason the debit will sit in your "pending transactions" for a few days before disappearing. I accumulated £90 of such debits with Applegreen before going away and getting connected to a nearby Gridserve charger. It wasn't a big deal, I didn't have to apply for my money back or anything, but if I hadn't had enough credit in my account to allow £90 to be frozen over a weekend it could have been difficult. As far as I can make out, if you charge successfully this holding charge disappears immediately to be replaced by a real debit for the amount of electricity you bought, but if the charge fails the authorisation charge takes some time to vanish. It seems that they are checking that you actually have the money in your account to pay for what you're about to take from the charger, but this is by no means a universal practice. And Gridserve only take a £1 charge, presumably just to check that the card/account is real.

However, there are still chargers around that don't take debit cards. I encountered this in relation to an outfit called Blink Charging, who run type 2 chargers I knew I would want to use. I was fortunate that I checked this out before I left home, because it wasn't simple. They wanted customers to have their own RFID card, but there wasn't time for anything to be posted to me. A fair bit of surfing got me to the place where I could download their app, and this wasn't easy either. The page to join as a guest didn't work because of a glitch in the phone number entry. To become a member you had to have a Google account, and at first this simply didn't work and dissolved in electronic gibberish. I emailed the company, got an automated reply, but no actual help. I remembered Google had two email addresses for me. I had to delete the app completely and start again with the other email, but that worked and I got registered. Except the app didn't have the MG4 as an option to enter your vehicle. (I knew I was OK though because my friend who lives right beside the chargers said she saw an MG4 charging there.)

When I got to the chargers I was so glad I already had the app, because the sun was so strong I could barely read either the charger screen or my phone. Downloading the app by the roadside would have been a nightmare. The charger kept asking for a card, but I went into the app (hiding from the sun inside the car boot) and found how to connect. I did phone the helpline at one point, mainly because the strong sun had concealed the fact that charging had started, and the girl who answered was helpful. More than I can say for the email. Later I got an email asking me to rate the service I had when I emailed them for help at the beginning. I said I got no help at all, and never heard another word. But the chargers did work from the app.

I'm telling you this to let you realise what can happen, and the advisability of getting at least the app and preferably the RFID card you need for a charger you know you're going to need in good time. Don't rely on rocking up to a charger like that and hoping you can make it work. I've seen people online brandishing fistfuls of RFID cards that make them look like Las Vegas croupiers. I got the info about which chargers took debit cards from ZapMaps, although they might not be the best they were right in my case.

Another thing you should do is take your car to a nearby public charger or two and practise, when you have the time to fiddle around, and it's not a disaster if you don't succeed. (I did this, but only on one with tethered connectors. I ended up tearing the wrapping from my type 2 cable with my teeth on the pavement beside the Blink chargers.)

From my experience you can pay with both at some but not all chargers. The more expensive rapid ones tend to offer contactless payments but a lot need apps or cards linked to the individual charging network.
I currently keep 4 different in my car and most apps on my phone, and so far, I haven’t had an issue charging.

My tip would be to slowly create accounts in the different apps and await cards to arrive and keep safe. Then that way at least you have a 90% chance of being able to use any charger you need too
Thank sounds perfect advice thank you.

I use a credit card. Once MFG took 2x£40 authorisation fees for a failed charge. It took 10 days for the credit to appear in my credit card account. Losing access to £80 from a current account would have caused me issues.

I recently charged in bath and put in about 45%
It was a pod point and only charged me £1.86 instead of circa 22kwh.
Not complaining as I'm sure i will get "equalised" somewhere else.

It can be as simple as paying for petrol, depending on the operator. Many of these things work contactless with a debit card and this is usually very simple. As I understand it, all new chargers installed since the beginning of last year are required to support contactless payment.

One word of warning. Some of the chargers that take contactless will take an "authorisation charge" on your account when you first present the card. This varies, I have seen £1 from Gridserve and £30 from Applegreen. Someone else reported one that took £45. Do not panic, you will not be charged that, but if your attempt to charge fails for some reason the debit will sit in your "pending transactions" for a few days before disappearing. I accumulated £90 of such debits with Applegreen before going away and getting connected to a nearby Gridserve charger. It wasn't a big deal, I didn't have to apply for my money back or anything, but if I hadn't had enough credit in my account to allow £90 to be frozen over a weekend it could have been difficult. As far as I can make out, if you charge successfully this holding charge disappears immediately to be replaced by a real debit for the amount of electricity you bought, but if the charge fails the authorisation charge takes some time to vanish. It seems that they are checking that you actually have the money in your account to pay for what you're about to take from the charger, but this is by no means a universal practice. And Gridserve only take a £1 charge, presumably just to check that the card/account is real.

However, there are still chargers around that don't take debit cards. I encountered this in relation to an outfit called Blink Charging, who run type 2 chargers I knew I would want to use. I was fortunate that I checked this out before I left home, because it wasn't simple. They wanted customers to have their own RFID card, but there wasn't time for anything to be posted to me. A fair bit of surfing got me to the place where I could download their app, and this wasn't easy either. The page to join as a guest didn't work because of a glitch in the phone number entry. To become a member you had to have a Google account, and at first this simply didn't work and dissolved in electronic gibberish. I emailed the company, got an automated reply, but no actual help. I remembered Google had two email addresses for me. I had to delete the app completely and start again with the other email, but that worked and I got registered. Except the app didn't have the MG4 as an option to enter your vehicle. (I knew I was OK though because my friend who lives right beside the chargers said she saw an MG4 charging there.)

When I got to the chargers I was so glad I already had the app, because the sun was so strong I could barely read either the charger screen or my phone. Downloading the app by the roadside would have been a nightmare. The charger kept asking for a card, but I went into the app (hiding from the sun inside the car boot) and found how to connect. I did phone the helpline at one point, mainly because the strong sun had concealed the fact that charging had started, and the girl who answered was helpful. More than I can say for the email. Later I got an email asking me to rate the service I had when I emailed them for help at the beginning. I said I got no help at all, and never heard another word. But the chargers did work from the app.

I'm telling you this to let you realise what can happen, and the advisability of getting at least the app and preferably the RFID card you need for a charger you know you're going to need in good time. Don't rely on rocking up to a charger like that and hoping you can make it work. I've seen people online brandishing fistfuls of RFID cards that make them look like Las Vegas croupiers. I got the info about which chargers took debit cards from ZapMaps, although they might not be the best they were right in my case.

Another thing you should do is take your car to a nearby public charger or two and practise, when you have the time to fiddle around, and it's not a disaster if you don't succeed. (I did this, but only on one with tethered connectors. I ended up tearing the wrapping from my type 2 cable with my teeth on the pavement beside the Blink chargers.)
Really appreciate your time and excellent advice.
I have a chargepoint card and have activated it.
But I am no wiser what that actually means because it didn't ask me to link it to a bank card. Assuming I have activated it correctly that is.
We rarely go long distances and so I don't particularly need to have loads of useless apps on my phone nor loads of useless cards.
Thank you again.

The Blink Charging app I downloaded definitely asked me to link to my bank account. Knowing that that had happened is what gave me the confidence that the app would probably work. I applied for a ChargePlace Scotland card when I got my car because there are a lot of them round here and occasionally you find one that will give free juice but only to cardholders. Again it linked to my bank account. (I think most of these ones take debit cards too though.)

I don't know which chargepoint card you have so I can't help with that. All I have is the ChargePlace Scotland RFID card and the Blink Charging app.

I think on motorway service stations they all take debit cards. But if you are planning a trip, check out the chargers you are planning to use just in case. You don't need loads of useless apps or cards, but you do need something that will let you buy electricity where you need it, so do some forward planning until you're sure of your ground.

The Blink Charging app I downloaded definitely asked me to link to my bank account. Knowing that that had happened is what gave me the confidence that the app would probably work. I applied for a ChargePlace Scotland card when I got my car because there are a lot of them round here and occasionally you find one that will give free juice but only to cardholders. Again it linked to my bank account. (I think most of these ones take debit cards too though.)

I don't know which chargepoint card you have so I can't help with that. All I have is the ChargePlace Scotland RFID card and the Blink Charging app.

I think on motorway service stations they all take debit cards. But if you are planning a trip, check out the chargers you are planning to use just in case. You don't need loads of useless apps or cards, but you do need something that will let you buy electricity where you need it, so do some forward planning until you're sure of your ground.
It is just a plastic credit sized card.
But anyway I am hopeful that should I need to use a public charger, I will be able to find one that takes a debit card. Thank you.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back