First long distance drive šŸ˜¬

First leg of the journey today from Essex to Cambridge, Via Motorway.
Temp 9-10 degrees please see attached pictures left fully charged with estimated GOM reading of 170 in ECO with heating on blob two and fans on three. Voltage 454 volts fully charged and average 3.6 miles per KWh.
Leg two will be completed without heating and fans to see the difference
That's insanely good numbers you are getting there Mark. šŸ‘. Looking forward to see the home trip numbers

Great figures - even more so for colder weather. Ave 45mph - were you doing around 60-70mph on the motorway?

How did your range drop, when you compare the actual range driven compared to what GOM showed?
I was predicted 161 miles, so it was out by 50 miles. I noticed turning the heating off at the start would "give" me an extra 14 miles, but as the range dropped to the teens it only added 2 miles off the predicted range

I did my first ever long drive today. 110 mile round trip. Driving with the HVAC, stereo and heated seat on. Temperature was 0-2 degrees. Got back home with 10% battery and 12 miles left.

Did get a bit stressful towards the end when the power was limited and the miles dropped to the teens.

I did stick to 60MPH and it was nearly all motorway speeds - averaged 50MPH. I also drafted large trucks a lot of the motorway journey back. Averaged 3 miles per KW accumulated total according to the car.
What was your m/kwhr?

I was predicted 161 miles, so it was out by 50 miles. I noticed turning the heating off at the start would "give" me an extra 14 miles, but as the range dropped to the teens it only added 2 miles off the predicted range
The range drop with the HVAC represents a % of the available power hence it doesnā€™t remove the same number of miles

The combined range off around 122 miles you had on that kind of trip, is very much on par with what I see in same circumstances.

Trip 2, return leg.
Same journey back, temp still 9-10 degrees, but with no heating on.
Left with 414 volts and trip meter reset, 63 miles with an average of 3.5 miles per KWh. Whilst I drove slightly quicker due to less traffic I was expecting a better return than the outward trip due to no heating, shocked.
What are your thoughts on this I did expect a bigger margin, but what is obvious to me over previous tests is the more the heating is turned up it really does have an impact on the overall HV draw where as today there was little difference to being off or on.
However about 121 miles completed with 34 left or approximately 18% charge is good.

Attachments

• 0E420F76-748B-4EEB-9AF0-7FFC0D1BFAF7.jpeg
    0E420F76-748B-4EEB-9AF0-7FFC0D1BFAF7.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 97
  • EF38E276-45AF-47D3-86BE-973D277B1C1E.jpeg
    EF38E276-45AF-47D3-86BE-973D277B1C1E.jpeg
    378.5 KB · Views: 100
Trip 2, return leg.
Left with 414 volts and trip meter reset, 63 miles with an average of 3.5 miles per KWh. Whilst I drove slightly quicker due to less traffic I was expecting a better return than the outward trip due to no heating, shocked.
What are your thoughts on this I did expect a bigger margin, but what is obvious to me over previous tests is the more the heating is turned up it really does have an impact on the overall HV draw where as today there was little difference to being off or on.
However about 121 miles completed with 34 left or approximately 18% charge is good.
The wind is a big factor to rule in, especially on the MG.

First leg of the journey today from Essex to Cambridge, Via Motorway.
Temp 9-10 degrees please see attached pictures left fully charged with estimated GOM reading of 170 in ECO with heating on blob two and fans on three. Voltage 454 volts fully charged and average 3.6 miles per KWh.
Leg two will be completed without heating and fans to see the difference
Iā€™ve just noticed that the first pic show 170miles and the second 200miles both on E - why is that?

Trip 2, return leg.
Itā€™s still very good considering itā€™s not exactly 20degrees and itā€™s quite a large car.

I didn't know it will change like that. Our old car (Peugeot iOn) would change the GOM as soon as you turned it higher or lower with heat or Aircon on. I liked that honesty a lot. I will try next time on the MG, just sad you have to power down the HVAC completely.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom