First long distance trip. Report

MG Volcano

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
First long distance trip today from mid-Devon to Sheffield. About 250 miles, 220 of which on motorway.
  • charged once at Droitwich. Pod-point 16 minute charge for £16 for 25 kWh to go from 45% to 80%.
  • arrived Sheffield with 27% charge
  • used tja for most of the motorway driving
Car stays wonderfully in lane, follows car in front and maintains speed. Virtually no pedal driving. Car very smooth on the bends. Very relaxing.
- only issue is that the safe distance to the vehicle in front is quite large such that other vehicles drop into it, causing the car to slow until the distance is maintained.

Overall, highly satisfactory journey, impressive technology, speedy charging and relaxed on arrival.

When in ACC/TJA move the left joystick left/right to reduce/increase the following distance from 1 bar to 3 bars. My non-scientific assessment is that each bar is about 0.8 to 0.9 seconds gap.

Not sure. It seems to keep a set distance depending on your speed, which would make sense
Page 201 "Adaptive Cruise Target Following Distance Adjustment Whentheadaptive cruise control system is activated, press the adjustment switch to the right (increase spacing) or to the left (decrease spacing) to adjust the following distance, which is switched between 3distance settings and displayed on the instrument. Select the corresponding following distance according to the relative speed to the preceding vehicle, the higher the relative vehicle speed, the longer the distance is. Considering the traffic and weather conditions, the range of optional following distance may not be suitable for all drivers and driving conditions."?

First long distance trip today from mid-Devon to Sheffield.

We will be on our first longer trip tomorrow in the MG4 on our annual 'Santa run", from Penzance to Swindon to my daughter's place, so I was interested to see your thread.

Several years ago (2016) I did a similar journey in a Mk1 Zoe which had a max range of 100 miles (in summer), but it was a completely different scenario to what we have today as regards the numbers of available public chargers. We did the journey both ways (about 480 miles), and had to charge 6 times, so we lost several hours hanging about, but had no problems. The Zoe also did most of the southern counties, going to Hampshire, Dorset and Sussex on several occasions over the 5 years we had it.

Page 201 "Adaptive Cruise Target Following Distance Adjustment Whentheadaptive cruise control system is activated, press the adjustment switch to the right (increase spacing) or to the left (decrease spacing) to adjust the following distance, which is switched between 3distance settings and displayed on the instrument. Select the corresponding following distance according to the relative speed to the preceding vehicle, the higher the relative vehicle speed, the longer the distance is. Considering the traffic and weather conditions, the range of optional following distance may not be suitable for all drivers and driving conditions."?
Yep. As we used to say, I should “rtfm”….

And there's me thinking it was 'flippin'.
Incidentally, the combined manuals are around 450 A5 pages. At a minute a page, that's over 7 hrs reading.
How long is a dealer's briefing?

Interesting you though the ACC distance was too much, I found even on the 3 bar setting the distance was too close, especially for lorries at it didn't pass the standard lorry, if you can't see my wing mirrors I can't see you're behind me test.

Seemed to be ok behind smaller vehicles.

The local dealer handover here is a theatrical 'reveal' (car hidden under a car cover in the showroom, with the DP pulling it back with suitable flare) followed by a detailed 20 minute one-on-one tutorial on the controls.

Even for the test drive back in August I had an abbreviated but still full 10 minute briefing despite previous ZS ownership experience. I thought it might be an MG strategy but perhaps it's just our small town dealer investing in customer relations development.

The local dealer handover here is a theatrical 'reveal' (car hidden under a car cover in the showroom, with the DP pulling it back with suitable flare) followed by a detailed 20 minute one-on-one tutorial on the controls.

Even for the test drive back in August I had an abbreviated but still full 10 minute briefing despite previous ZS ownership experience. I thought it might be an MG strategy but perhaps it's just our small town dealer investing in customer relations development.
Small but beautiful town - and we loved that southward car museum down the road a bit. That was a fabulous road trip round your N&S islands back in 2000.

You obviously got the deluxe handover package then :cool:
We got a fancy handover with a mercedes a few years ago. The handshakes, the reveal, bouquet of flowers presented to my wife, the works. Eight horrible days later we dumped the hellish heap at their door. Worst pile of junk EVER.
(We didn’t like it)

I think MG take the view that...What's the point in doing a lavish goodbye, as they know you'll be back very soon, again and again. :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 514 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back