First Long Range Trip

admiralross2400

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
So I've just returned from my first long range trip from just outside Edinburgh to near Barry in South Wales (and back with some smaller drivers round the area).

Here's a few thoughts etc.

I used ABRP for planning the trip. All in all, it does the job if via the most clunky design possible. It certainly takes getting used to. It also didn't always notice I'd stopped at the charger indicated meaning I had to set up a new route on the fly. Generally though, it picked decent chargers etc and you can easily filter ones out (e.g. I know Tesla currently doesn't work on MG5 or at least is a bit finiky so I asked to avoid those).

It also generally overestimates how much charge I'm going to use for the MG5 LR so I could either cut time at the charger or get a bit more in the tank for later (weather was nice for the most part with little wind till be got back to Scotland).

We never needed to wait for a charger which was good (I'd heard horror stories) but one BP station started a charge but refused to stop it. BP were useless and said they could see it was charging but not who was using it so they couldn't do anything remotely. I decided I needed to pull the emergency release (the emergency stop button on the station also didn't work by the way)...but had no tools to open the plastic cover (rookie error). Luckily, I was able to lift a corner and reach it without taking the cover off. Bonus, got a nearly full free charge from BP.

I was very chuffed with how it all went, and being able to plug an iPad in the back for the wee one was a bonus! 😂

Attachments

• PXL_20230916_134508875.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230916_134508875.MP.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 67
I used ABRP with OVMS on a long journey, and it worked reasonably well, although it was a couple % out due to the OVMS version.

I believe it can also be used with OBD2 dongle to get the SOC but make sure you don't poll when the car is locked, or you will probably set the alarm off.

I find ABRP very cumbersome. Not sure what it offers in reality over just deciding where I want to stop en-route and going there. Seems to solve a problem that doesn't really exist any more.
I understand it is trying to emulate the Tesla experience but it's basically a standalone app that guesses, there is no real info from the charging network that any other app hasn't got.

So I've just returned from my first long range trip from just outside Edinburgh to near Barry in South Wales (and back with some smaller drivers round the area).

Here's a few thoughts etc.

I used ABRP for planning the trip. All in all, it does the job if via the most clunky design possible. It certainly takes getting used to. It also didn't always notice I'd stopped at the charger indicated meaning I had to set up a new route on the fly. Generally though, it picked decent chargers etc and you can easily filter ones out (e.g. I know Tesla currently doesn't work on MG5 or at least is a bit finiky so I asked to avoid those).

It also generally overestimates how much charge I'm going to use for the MG5 LR so I could either cut time at the charger or get a bit more in the tank for later (weather was nice for the most part with little wind till be got back to Scotland).

We never needed to wait for a charger which was good (I'd heard horror stories) but one BP station started a charge but refused to stop it. BP were useless and said they could see it was charging but not who was using it so they couldn't do anything remotely. I decided I needed to pull the emergency release (the emergency stop button on the station also didn't work by the way)...but had no tools to open the plastic cover (rookie error). Luckily, I was able to lift a corner and reach it without taking the cover off. Bonus, got a nearly full free charge from BP.

I was very chuffed with how it all went, and being able to plug an iPad in the back for the wee one was a bonus! 😂
I tend to use ABRP to plan (find chargers on the route) the trip then use Apple Maps to navigate.

I tend to use ABRP to plan (find chargers on the route) the trip then use Apple Maps to navigate.
I get that, but there are several apps way better at finding chargers than ABRP, WattsUp, Zapmap, and Plugshare to name but a few and there are better route planners.
Each to their own but ABRP usefulness is completely lost on me.

I get that, but there are several apps way better at finding chargers than ABRP, WattsUp, Zapmap, and Plugshare to name but a few and there are better route planners.
Each to their own but ABRP usefulness is completely lost on me.
You are correct for finding chargers in a given location I do tend to use other apps.

I use ABRP for identifying when I will need to charge on a long route and suggest where the chargers are at those points.

You are correct for finding chargers in a given location I do tend to use other apps.

I use ABRP for identifying when I will need to charge on a long route and suggest where the chargers are at those points.
As I said earlier, each of us has our own favoured way, but I tend to know nowadays how far the car, or I, want to go before a stop and look for a cluster around that distance. For me WattsUp (Overview of route) is perfect for finding a bunch of chargers.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom