First proper trip - thoughts

Yandards

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
So did my first proper longer trip in the car yesterday, round trip Bristol at about 130 miles there and back.

Having had the car for a couple of weeks (although I don't drive it often) it was good to get it out and see how it behaves.

Good stuff:
Liked the handling, it really does go around country roads very nicely. Extra space for the 3 of us was one of the prime reasons to swap from an e208, definitely noticeable on longer runs.

Satnav behaved well, plenty of notice of the random lane swaps you get coming off the M32 into the city - much better than the Peugeot which is a Garmin based system.

Less good stuff:
Cruise control was mega aggressive when cornering until I put the energy recovery into auto mode, then much more tolerable.

GOM is pretty decent compared to the Peugeot, that was regularly widely off.

Not great stuff:
AC settings page is way too fiddly - better now I know you can drag down from the top of the home page to get it to stay up though.

Duration of warning notices, you get a bong and by the time I've looked down it's gone before I can read it.

Massive blue bar on the sat nav page.

In some lighting conditions there is a lot of glare on both screens.

Rubbish stuff:
Bluetooth dropping, pilot disconnects, constantly having to traverse through the menus to get the car setup prior to driving off.

Cruise control and speed limiter settings, thanks to a bicycle leaning council a lot of the surrounding villages have had 20 mph limits applied - I'm not convinced that cars are made to have the throttle pedal in a comfortable position when you need to go that slow so use the limiter. As its a menu option again having to scrawl through to change it.

All in all pleased with it, it's doing what we wanted it to do but I do hope they tweak some of the software stuff - user profiles (I know lane keep assist isn't going away) would be great for starters.

Just got back from taking an elderly neighbour for a spin in the EV. Her late husband ran the garage in the village for decades, and her whole life has been ICE cars. We went through a village with first a 40 mph limit coming down to 20 mph in the centre, and I showed off the ACC to her, saying exactly that. "It's difficult to keep your speed down to 20 manually, but this just does it for you!"

Yandards, I think you need to have a close communion with the steering wheel buttons and joysticks (and maybe the manual) and figure out what they do. Audio volume and track selection, climate control temperature and fan speed, ACC on/off and set speed, it's all there. (And I think I'm still missing a trick or two.) Seldom if ever need to touch the screen when driving. Or even take my eyes off the road for more than a momentary glance.

If you don't want to use ACC for 20mph limits use the speed limiter or set the car to eco to get a less responsive accelerator pedal.
I have the right star button set to control the AC.

Happy enough using the steering wheel controls for both AC and ACC - some of the AC functions are not available without pulling the AC page up though and the auto setting wants to cool the windscreen instead of me.

Yes, I could use ACC to control the 20 mph limit but there's a couple of issues that mean it won't work. Cars parked on one side of the road involving finding holes to give way and some of the local villages are that windy you don't want to be doing 20 mph that ACC is going to run at. Basically the limiter is by far the better option as ACC isn't viable, but that then requires a switch back to use ACC post village.

It's not my first car with ACC (Mazda CX5) so this isn't my first rodeo with the technology. In the E208s favour it even had a button on the cruise control stalk to 'load' the speed limit from the traffic sign/speed limit recognition camera - which the MG4 can do with the limiter set but not the ACC according to the manual, which I have read.

The auto function in my Trophy can be set to any of the flow directions. I assume you have tried switching out if auto, setting the direction and then re-electing auto?

In my SE the flow direction can be set to Feet vents, and one of Windscreen or Dash vents - it won't do both.

To be honest I don't think it's much of a limitation. Normally the windscreen stays clear just with the dash vents, and if it does mist up then switching to the windscreen vents for a few minutes to clear it isn't much of a chore.
All I meant was it is another unadvertised difference between the specifications.

So did my first proper longer trip in the car yesterday, round trip Bristol at about 130 miles there and back.

Having had the car for a couple of weeks (although I don't drive it often) it was good to get it out and see how it behaves.

Good stuff:
Liked the handling, it really does go around country roads very nicely. Extra space for the 3 of us was one of the prime reasons to swap from an e208, definitely noticeable on longer runs.

Satnav behaved well, plenty of notice of the random lane swaps you get coming off the M32 into the city - much better than the Peugeot which is a Garmin based system.

Less good stuff:
Cruise control was mega aggressive when cornering until I put the energy recovery into auto mode, then much more tolerable.

GOM is pretty decent compared to the Peugeot, that was regularly widely off.

Not great stuff:
AC settings page is way too fiddly - better now I know you can drag down from the top of the home page to get it to stay up though.

Duration of warning notices, you get a bong and by the time I've looked down it's gone before I can read it.

Massive blue bar on the sat nav page.

In some lighting conditions there is a lot of glare on both screens.

Rubbish stuff:
Bluetooth dropping, pilot disconnects, constantly having to traverse through the menus to get the car setup prior to driving off.

Cruise control and speed limiter settings, thanks to a bicycle leaning council a lot of the surrounding villages have had 20 mph limits applied - I'm not convinced that cars are made to have the throttle pedal in a comfortable position when you need to go that slow so use the limiter. As its a menu option again having to scrawl through to change it.

All in all pleased with it, it's doing what we wanted it to do but I do hope they tweak some of the software stuff - user profiles (I know lane keep assist isn't going away) would be great for starters.
Didn't know the ability to pull the AC controls down from the top of the screen - that is a game changer for me - Thanks. I find it annoying that the default on startup seems to be internal recycling of air so I have to change that each time and I was switching off the AC, switching it on to get the screen up for about 2 seconds and trying to click the buttons before it disappeared!

In my SE the flow direction can be set to Feet vents, and one of Windscreen or Dash vents - it won't do both.
If you put it into Auto on the Ventilation menu, and then reduce the fan down (because it will come on strong) you should be able get all 3; works on my SE LR.

If you put it into Auto on the Ventilation menu, and then reduce the fan down (because it will come on strong) you should be able get all 3; works on my SE LR.
I tried this - it didn't work. (AC on Auto, reduced the fan speed to 1 and tried selecting both windscreen and dash but it wouldn't let me).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back