First public charger (Tesla) network outing .

DaevM

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
So tomorrow I'm off for my first (and unexpected) 500+ mile round trip in the MG4 (se lr). I have previously been doing it (every 6 weeks, last 4 years) in a 30kwh Soul (ChadeMo) using Electroverse / Osprey / Grideserve etc.

I really fancy trying the Tesla chargers so have downloaded the app. There appear to only be 2 open to Joe Public on my route (Cornwall - W.Mids), Lifton and Merry Hill Centre, Brierly Hill. I may make it or possibly fit in a short comfort charge elsewhere mid-way.

Any pointers, hints, don't forgets etc. I've already tested the charging on a fastned and ionity/electroverse, both of which worked fine.

Any (constructive) advice gratefully received.
Cheers
Dave.

I tried a Tesla charger once and had no trouble. I used the app which I had downloaded some time previously. It asked me to pick the charger I was parked on, and then to connect the car. I did that, and although it said it could take up to two minutes for the charge to start, it actually started almost immediately. The only issue was that the app itself hung, so I could only follow what was going on using the MG app.

This was one of the older chargers with no touchscreen. It was fine though.

Well knock me down and call me Mildred!

I too shall be frequenting the Lifton Superchargers tomorrow!!!

On the way down to just outside Holsworthy to see the MIL.

Be there about Tea Time.

Keep a look out for me.

I'm quite distinctive looking. 👍

20240227_104434.jpg

Oh, have the app ready.

Pull up to desired post.

Leave your car on.

Plug In, count to 5

Select post on app.

Mine usually works in 30 seconds or less.

Once started you can turn off the car if you wish.👍

Ha! Well Mildred....
Hopefully I'll have been in Wolves for several hours by teatime.
I'm envisaging hitting Lifton about 0930(ish).
Many thanks for the instructions, very much appreciated.
I shall keep a look out for you anyway but fear if I see you something will have gone drastically wrong for at least one of us 😱.
Have a great day/trip and thanks again 😁👍🥂

(Easy to identify here too 😉👍)

Attachments

• IMG_20230919_222133_393.jpg
    IMG_20230919_222133_393.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Sooo many Teslas at Merry Hill.
There I was, charging at a very happy 136kw when someone plugged in the charger behind me and it dropped to 70 !! - it was going so well as well.
Still, I s'pose it's still better than the 50 kw max I've been getting on the Soul for the last 4 years 👍

Attachments

• PXL_20240320_143816917.jpg
    PXL_20240320_143816917.jpg
    682.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20240320-142650.png
    Screenshot_20240320-142650.png
    165.2 KB · Views: 29
If you plan on using them regularly the £10.99 a month subscription is well worth it. So far not had any issues and find the MG sooks the juice like a gooden until the battery gets over 50%. Even after that you get around 70kW/h.

Just need to have some phone signal when firing up the process (Harrogate, was a bit 3G and had to move about).

Only other thing is if you lock the car and return it tends to stop charging when you unlock, that's an MG thing not a Tesla thing

Does anyone know if the Lifton ones have contactless working?

I’ve seen people moaning on Zapmap (I think) that the signal is really poor there and they had to go into the shop and use the WiFi to start the charge.

I’ve seen people moaning on Zapmap (I think) that the signal is really poor there and they had to go into the shop and use the WiFi to start the charge.
As it was my first ever Tesla charge ( and I was desperate for the loo ) I was all over the place. Tried the app but as you say, no signal. Tried contactless but couldn't really see the screen properly so not sure if that had worked. Had seen complaints about no signal and having to use Arundel wi-fi. Hadn't made a note of the password and couldn't get back to it due to no signal. BUT the gent in the shop was very accommodating and only too happy to let me use the excellent wifi. Also loo is in coffee shop if required.
Finding it was a challenge. It is actually on The Arundel hotel carpark. Plenty of chargers. Readily available out of season.

Contactless?

There are only Tesla Superchargers at Lifton.

I mean, I'm happy to be corrected, but I haven't seen a payment screen at a Tesla charger before?

I haven't seen them all though, so perhaps some do.

Going to Specsavers next week.

You can only access them with your app AFAIC.
16 of them all to myself.

Very impressed.
Nice shop, excellent cake.

20240320_154052.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good 😍👍.
I think the theory is that they are V4. and accept contactless too. I tried it but as I say couldn't see the screen too well so went and used the wifi and app instead.

Looking good 😍👍.
I think the theory is that they are V4. and accept contactless too. I tried it but as I say couldn't see the screen too well so went and used the wifi and app instead.
Sorry I missed you m8.

I was still in Pendine on the beach when you were in Lifton.

Ah well, maybe next time 👍🤣

Contactless?

There are only Tesla Superchargers at Lifton.

I mean, I'm happy to be corrected, but I haven't seen a payment screen at a Tesla charger before?

I haven't seen them all though, so perhaps some do.

Going to Specsavers next week.

You can only access them with your app AFAIC.
16 of them all to myself.

Very impressed.
Nice shop, excellent cake.

View attachment 24959
My understanding is that the V4 superchargers they are rolling out and also selling to other operators have contactless. Could be wrong though. Never used a supercharger.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back