First real long-range journey in my MG5 LR ... Some observations

D

Deleted member 7134

... 180 miles each way (95% motorway) there and back, to pick up my mum for Christmas.
1. First leg in daylight, no lights (mostly), no Heating (AC intermittently on and off to clear condensation - more on that later), Eco Kers 3, kept just under 60 mph, with ACC, got 4+ miles/kWh, very pleased with that. Had to stop at services near destination to top up as I was coming straight back. Very busy, no spaces at the 2 gridserve chargers (which can only charge 1 car at a time even though there are 2 CCS cables per unit - nuts!). Eventually got to charge! back up to 80%, and continued to destination.
2. Second leg, now dark, very cold, lights on, heater on (mum complaining of cold) + AC still needed on and off for condensation issue, Eco Kers 3, still kept it just under 60 mph with ACC, realised I wasn't going to make it all the way home, tried and failed at services to find a free charger (who knew it would be busy at Christmas ;) ) had to go off-route at 20% to find a rapid charger and top-up to just over 50% (to be totally safe). Got a bit over 3.5 miles/kWh and got home with about 35% battery in the end.
Quite a steep learning curve for this newbie. Lessons learned:
Infrastructure sucks, don't expect to get on a rapid at services during sociable hours on the busiest day of the year (I know!).
Damn these EVs steam up.
Heater eats the battery, AC eats the battery (see above).
Don't leave it until you're down to 20% on the motorway to try and find a rapid charger - I got lucky that I found 4 just off the motorway (at a 24hr MacDonalds of all places - instavolt) but I couldn't get 3 out of the 4 to accept my contactless bank card (in spite of the very nice helpline man who was very patient with me as I had a bit of a meltdown - I'd been up since 7am!), fortunately the final one worked, thank god (or should that be thank grid!), otherwise I'd still be there.
Tips for keeping the 'Steamy Windows' at bay, or any other ideas to make my transition into an EV grand master, gratefully appreciated :)

Hi Tommy, nice write up, I have the standard range. Tips for long journeys is keep 40 miles extra in range than your destination, eats more on the motorway than around town.
Next one is download zapmap and preplan stops, it's a pretty useful app just to find chargers and usually there are comments so you roughly know if they are working or not, use the heated seats, doesn't affect the range.

For the condensation you could get a dehumidifier bag, decreases it but doesn't get rid of it.

Best wishes

I've not yet had cause to use public charging and there won't be many instances when I do, but the pre-planning seems crucial to me - have a plan and a couple of fall backs.

One thing I don't yet know is how you recognise a queue for the chargers. Are people just parked up in the lane nearby, which would make it obvious?

Reference the steaming up, I've read other posters who have noted that the vehicle often switches to air recirculation mode which won't help.

Also note that when you turn off the air conditioning mid journey you'll melt any condensate that's frozen to the evaporator, this will be carried into the cabin in the air and will result in a yo-yo effect of AC on and AC off. If you can avoid turning it on in the first place you'll be better off, or just keep it on (subject to loosing some miles, but it's probably less than you think).

Alternatively cracking a window really helps, rear helps to draw the air through the cabin.

I've not yet had cause to use public charging and there won't be many instances when I do, but the pre-planning seems crucial to me - have a plan and a couple of fall backs.

One thing I don't yet know is how you recognise a queue for the chargers. Are people just parked up in the lane nearby, which would make it obvious?
Yep, they're just parked up nearby looking anxious ;) I can pretty much tell if it's an EV having looked at more or less every model whilst doing my research. Have to say every owner I've met has been really nice, friendly, and helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes ref the queue for the charger, get out of the car and go and chat with the car on the charger. He/she might know who is next as a result. If there is more than one waiting, go and find another charger if you can. Alternatively get Tesla and use their multi chargers at m/w sites..:)

And there's another thing. Why don't they put the GB under the green in case you go abroad? Time for a new thread lol

And there's another thing. Why don't they put the GB under the green in case you go abroad? Time for a new thread lol
Because the government recently announced that GB plates are on the way out. The plan is to replace GB with UK and specifically ban plates saying CYM or SCO. Apparently this is because they've solved all the more important problems we face so this is now the top priority...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom