First Service ... Excessive Corrosion of the rear Disc found

I’d rather have discs all around and occasionally brake harder at lower regen. Best is custom with sport braking and low regen or adaptive regen whenever you fancy cleaning the brakes.
whats Sport braking .. ?
But yes Custom settings for sure ...

Never tried Adaptive regen ... what should I expect on this mode ?

Adaptive regen basically sets the regen level to 1, 2 or 3 automatically depending on conditions, such as whether or how much you press the brake pedal, detection of vehicles in front etc.

e.g. bool up to a roundabout with nothing in front and lift off the go pedal and you'll not slow down very much, certainly compared with regen 3. But press the brake pedal and the regen level will increase, in proportion to how hard you press it (up to 25% regen). Press harder and the physical brakes will come into play.

Thanks - Nah think I keep it at 3 and then 1 when I want Fun ...
Adaptive regen basically sets the regen level to 1, 2 or 3 automatically depending on conditions, such as whether or how much you press the brake pedal, detection of vehicles in front etc.

e.g. bool up to a roundabout with nothing in front and lift off the go pedal and you'll not slow down very much, certainly compared with regen 3. But press the brake pedal and the regen level will increase, in proportion to how hard you press it (up to 25% regen). Press harder and the physical brakes will come into play.
Why custom? You don’t need to set custom to get low regen anyway
Custom give you other options like Sports Steering - Much improved over eco (wishy washy relaxed)

Thanks - Nah think I keep it at 3 and then 1 when I want Fun ...

Custom give you other options like Sports Steering - Much improved over eco (wishy washy relaxed)
Sure I understand that
I just use the pre-defined modes.
Either way, regen strength has nothing to do with the mode, but more to the point, if you already use custom for steering, you must have seen the brake feel option too

Update rear disc looks much 'cleaner' having had a few days of spirited driving - Custom mode Sports enabled - Eco Drive and LOW on regen ..
Still not right tho - that, that amount of Disc wasn't used on regen 3 .... Just not sure I want the Agro of an argument with the dealership re 'is it correct' - As to me ITS NOT... - Regen 3 should still ensure that when braking its engaging all of the disc c/o the pad

Your car, like mine, probably has had zero lubricant on the caliper pins all round from new. My rears used to stick on and developed the same crusty ring where the pads didn't really touch
Get yer pins and where the pad 'ears' rest in the caliper lubed. Should have been done in the factory but that's MG :rolleyes:

Your car, like mine, probably has zero lubricant on the caliper pins all round. My rears used to stick on and developed the same crusty ring where the pads didn't really touch.

Get yer pins and where the pad 'ears' rest in the caliper lubed. Should have been done in the factory but that's MG :rolleyes:
Thanks ...

I will get the garage to do just this ... Cheers for that ...

When mine was in for the locking in recall last January I mentioned about the brakes not feeling like they're applying/releasing properly so I got the garage to make sure the sliders/pins etc. were all properly lubricated. All seems to have been OK since then.

Your car, like mine, probably has had zero lubricant on the caliper pins all round from new. My rears used to stick on and developed the same crusty ring where the pads didn't really touch
That's pretty much the same with all manufacturers and is not normally even included in a service.

That's pretty much the same with all manufacturers and is not normally even included in a service.
But the brakes should work properly from day one...As we / I have the plastic wheel cover trim I would be none the wiser if the Mech hadn't shown me at the 'first service' which didn't amount to a brake strip down ... ....

Last edited by a moderator:
TBH - I have never come across a set of brake pads yet, that have been assembled into the brake callipers, were lubrication has been used directly at the factory.
The pads are pre-installed ( dry ) into the callipers, by the supplier then installed as a complete assembly.
This type of practice obviously generates the requirement for "brake service" work as the car ages.
I have also seen new pads being installed ( much later in the car's ) without adequate cleaning of the mating surfaces of callipers and lacking the correct lubrication being used.
A condition of rust build up and lack of lubrication can result that, when the brakes are released the pad will continue to "bind" in the calliper assembly.
This will result one area of the pad dragging on the disc surface, therefore causing uneven friction pad material etc.

Back in 2003, SWMBO bought a 2002 mk1 Ford Focus diesel at the Car People Wakefield they did the first service on it as it was nearly due. When I queried if this would affect the Ford warranty they said it shouldn't as they do a better job that Ford dealers do for the first service. I noticed the pins and guides on the front brake calipers had been greased by The Car People and was impressed. Fast forward 20 years later (now) and this same Focus, passed down to her daughter, is still going and has never had any problems with sticking pads, in fact I think it has only had 1 set of pads replaced in all that time and 80K miles.

IMHO the pins should definitely have rubber grease of some description on them straight from the factory.
They're just going to jam horribly if not.

My pad ears did in fact have a little grease on them from the factory, just not very much for my liking.
The pins however were dry as chalk and were binding badly on the rubber anti - rattle insert .

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back