First service - experience of charges out there

DevonMG4

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Anyone booked their first service with a main dealer as yet, what have you been quoted? Who was that dealer and where?

Need to book mine as 15,000 approaches.

Booked yours yet, what was the basic price?

First service must be approaching for the early adopters I would think and high-milers like yourself.

I am particularly interested in what you get included with software updates, please report back if you can.

I was quoted £88 for the first service when I queried it before I purchased the car at two different dealers. I think subsequent services were 150/100/250 but I'm not absolutely sure about that.

Service Service Date Approx. Mileage Total*
4 Electric 15k/1 year Service May 2024 12000 £97.73
4 Electric 30k/2 year Service May 2025 24000 £179.08
4 Electric 45k/3 year Service May 2026 36000 £97.73
4 Electric 60k/4 year Service May 2027 48000 £203.72
4 Electric 75k/5 year Service May 2028 60000 £250.42

Here's the quote I got for a 5 year service plan

So that’s over £800 to service an EV for 5 years?
That’s outrageous. 😡
My car would need two services in the same timeframe (every two years or 30000)
Haven’t checked the cost, but it sure as hell won’t be £400 a time!
Tesla owners will be laughing at us both too.

Last edited:

Sounds about right, I got a 3 year plan plus one MOT for £433.

MG are continuing with annual services and keeping the costs up to keep their dealers in business.

Tesla don't have dealers and don't have services, though you can consider it built into the cost of the car, which is higher.

Time will tell what most people prefer, the old model or the new.

The major services, where they actually change anything is every 30k (Pollen filer, Keyfob batteries & Brake Fluid), I've just had an email in, saying that I need to come in, and am thinking about what to do, as these have always been diy jobs for myself in the past. The main thing is that you can't invalidate your warranty (as all of these are not covered anyway), although residual values may be affected if you are thinking of selling?, however the AA cover may come in handy?, but no issues to report todate.

The major services, where they actually change anything is every 30k (Pollen filer, Keyfob batteries & Brake Fluid), I've just had an email in, saying that I need to come in, and am thinking about what to do, as these have always been diy jobs for myself in the past. The main thing is that you can't invalidate your warranty (as all of these are not covered anyway), although residual values may be affected if you are thinking of selling?, however the AA cover may come in handy?, but no issues to report todate.
You don't have to service it at MG, just have to use MG approved parts and follow their service manuals. Of course, proving that as a private citizen is probably tougher.

The AA cover is useful if you don't already have breakdown cover elsewhere.

No way to get software updates except from MG, but then if you car works ok, do you need them?

Previous UK legislation stuff required whoever did the service to be VAT registered as a business to maintain a manufacturers warranty.
Not sure if that's changed but worth being aware of.

MG are continuing with annual services and keeping the costs up to keep their dealers in business.

Tesla don't have dealers and don't have services, though you can consider it built into the cost of the car, which is higher.

Time will tell what most people prefer, the old model or the new.

That’s kinda suggesting the only difference justifying the extra cost of the Tesla is the no-service thing.
Like saying the free brolly in a rolls Royce is built into the cost.
Well, yeah…but there’s a bit more to it than that…

That’s kinda suggesting the only difference justifying the extra cost of the Tesla is the no-service thing.
Like saying the free brolly in a rolls Royce is built into the cost.
Well, yeah…but there’s a bit more to it than that…
I said it was built in not the only reason for the difference. I agree with you.

So that’s over £800 to service an EV for 5 years?
That’s outrageous. 😡
My car would need two services in the same timeframe (every two years or 30000)
Haven’t checked the cost, but it sure as hell won’t be £400 a time!
Tesla owners will be laughing at us both too.
Cheaper than either of my old ICE cars were... £150 for cheap and £250 expensive, alternating between years and then add £50 and £100 in the years 2021 and 2022

I currently lease a Kia E Niro (next car an MG4 Trophy LR in black I hope). I have a maintenance agreement with Kia, sustained a slow puncture recently ( " nail at outside edge - unrepairable" OBVIOUSLY !!) & so £150 for a new tyre. Claimed on the Maintenance Agreement & within a week full reimbursement into my bank account, made the agreement much more palatable !

I currently lease a Kia E Niro (next car an MG4 Trophy LR in black I hope). I have a maintenance agreement with Kia, sustained a slow puncture recently ( " nail at outside edge - unrepairable" OBVIOUSLY !!) & so £150 for a new tyre. Claimed on the Maintenance Agreement & within a week full reimbursement into my bank account, made the agreement much more palatable !

That’s a full maintenance package on a lease.
That’s a different beast from a servicing only package.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 523 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back