First time 7kW home-charging

bryski8

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi guys

Just got my MG4 EV.

Have existing Pod Point that I used with my old eGolf.

What's the actual process for charging with the 7kW charging cable between the MG4 and the home charger?

Is it exit car and plug in then lock the car?

Or exit car, lock the car then unlock it again and plug in, then lock?

Sorry for "dufus" questions but its little scary to begin with and looking to get confident with charging up from home.

Cheers
Bryan

Last edited by a moderator:
People have different methods that work for them. I do not have a wall-charger but use a public PodPoint. When I do, then I arrive, park, plug in the cable, arrange payment via the app, watch the car's charging lights - 4 of 25% green segments - which flash when that segment is charging, lock the car. The lights are blue when it is not charging and the lights go out when charging us finished. My car is a Trophy and I can set a charging limit.

One problem that seems to crop up is a mismatch between charging schedules set in the car and in the wall-charger. Please search the threads if you have issues.

Doesn't seem to matter at all for me what order I lock the car (or not or unlock again) and start charging. It charges as soon as it plugs in if the charger is ready.

I just plug it in when I get home, lock the car and walk away.
Sometimes I open the charging door and lock the car, then plug it in.

Either way it charges fine.

I just :-

-Exit car but not lock it
-Open charging door flap
-Plug in charger
-Wait a bit until the lights go green around the car socket
-Go round to drivers door and lock it, and look through window at dash showing charging status

Only once have I had to manually lock the socket in the car to get it to start charging .

The official guide to home charging from the MG4 user manual...
1698684145476.png

Why are words in the Note at the beginning of the text not the same as that at the end? They seem to offer conflicting advice - 'on' and 'off'.

Why are words in the Note at the beginning of the text not the same as that at the end? They seem to offer conflicting advice - 'on' and 'off'.
Actually I think these instructions are for the 13amp plug, not a 7kW home charger. Shut off the power means at the domestic plug socket.

I have 2 versions of the manual. Attached are 2 pages covering AC charging. The first Note on the second page relates to the instructions on the first page with the second Note covering 'Residential Charging'. I have always used the app to find the state of charge using my granny charger but will see if switching off the 13amp supply displays the charge on the info screen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231030-173444.png
    Screenshot_20231030-173444.png
    737 KB · Views: 46

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member