Flashing speed limit

Amen. And a lot of the distractions these days are signs and other helpful so-called safety features!

The Dutch demonstrated that if you decluttered the roads of signs and markings then people actually had to concentrate and drove more safely: accidents reduced.

The same I suspect is true of many nagging safety systems.
Whilst I want this to be true, I'm not sure it is. The move towards integrating pedestrians/cyclists/vehicles, getting rid of all the signs and getting people to use their common sense was halted in this country a few years ago. Primarily because of a few incidences with disabled people is my (very limited) understanding.
Its a great theory, and would be an amazing improvement, but anything that requires on people's common sense is in trouble.

(I'd be happy to be wrong on this if others have a more up to date/better knowledge than I do)

This debate has made me laugh! If you find it distracting, just switch it off! That’s my ritual every time I get in the car, and it’s not exactly arduous – LKA off, sign recognition off. Problem solved. Not a problem – or problems – confined to MG, by the way; even IC vehicles are becoming ridiculously over-sophisticated. Just enjoy driving the damn thing – that’s what it’s for. Good driving practice and common sense should sort out the rest.

This debate has made me laugh! If you find it distracting, just switch it off! That’s my ritual every time I get in the car, and it’s not exactly arduous – LKA off, sign recognition off. Problem solved. Not a problem – or problems – confined to MG, by the way; even IC vehicles are becoming ridiculously over-sophisticated. Just enjoy driving the damn thing – that’s what it’s for. Good driving practice and common sense should sort out the rest.

And how many actual button presses is this, pray tell?
Every journey, Press, swipe, press swipety flickety swipety pressity press?
Every….journey….?
How ironic that you then say ‘just enjoy the thing’
😆

And how many actual button presses is this, pray tell?
Every journey, Press, swipe, press swipety flickety swipety pressity press?
Every….journey….?
How ironic that you then say ‘just enjoy the thing’
😆
Heh, I use the total of five button presses to sink into a meditative "I'm now about to enjoy my MG" mood, culminating in that wonderful, gentle pressure on the accelerator that starts the car moving ever so slowly and subtly away from a standstill. Personally, I love this preparatory moment.

Yes, it would be wonderful to be able to permanently disable LKA and sign recognition. But since I can't, I'm certainly not going to allow such insignificant issues to cloud my enjoyment of the vehicle. I'm down near the Pyrenees at the moment, and enjoyed a truly wonderful drive yesterday afternoon down almost empty roads along the Atlantic coast. Now that's what I'm talking about.

Feeling permanent anger about what one's vehicle doesn't do properly seems to me like a really good way to damage your own health, especially mental. I've long ago reconciled myself to the fact that you don't just leap into the MG, rev up and zoom off. And you know what? I feel better for it. But you clearly have a very different perspective. And that's fair enough. I just can't help feeling that you don't enjoy your car as much as I do, or indeed at all?

Heh, I use the total of five button presses to sink into a meditative "I'm now about to enjoy my MG" mood, culminating in that wonderful, gentle pressure on the accelerator that starts the car moving ever so slowly and subtly away from a standstill. Personally, I love this preparatory moment.

Yes, it would be wonderful to be able to permanently disable LKA and sign recognition. But since I can't, I'm certainly not going to allow such insignificant issues to cloud my enjoyment of the vehicle. I'm down near the Pyrenees at the moment, and enjoyed a truly wonderful drive yesterday afternoon down almost empty roads along the Atlantic coast. Now that's what I'm talking about.

Feeling permanent anger about what one's vehicle doesn't do properly seems to me like a really good way to damage your own health, especially mental. I've long ago reconciled myself to the fact that you don't just leap into the MG, rev up and zoom off. And you know what? I feel better for it. But you clearly have a very different perspective. And that's fair enough. I just can't help feeling that you don't enjoy your car as much as I do, or indeed at all?
fake interest cool story bro GIF

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel