FOTA

hmadsen

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi

Looking at the MG site here in Denmark, they say that you get "Free Over The Air Updates" so you don't even have to visit your MG store or garage for updates.

Is this just a fancy way of saying "We might update your infotainment over the air" or does this statement encompass all of the car's "computers" including "Engine ECU" and whatnot, like the Tesla ?

Does it use the regenerative braking in ACC ?

What does the UDW (Unsafe Driving Warning) do ?

Is the 360 camera function a higher quality than on f.ex the ZS EV (Looks really poor on the ZS EV)

I can't say for sure, but I suspect it's only infotainment system updates that will be OTA - core firmware updates are likely only available via dealers.

Does it use the regenerative braking in ACC ?

Yes

Displays the coffee cup and loud bongs. Don't ask how I know, I thought my Wife has the rights to nagging.

Is the 360 camera function a higher quality than on f.ex the ZS EV (Looks really poor on the ZS EV)

Yes, but way lower than my Wife's 2015 LEAF. So much for progress. They could have done worse than to benchmark the charge and climate control timers and the App (which is saying something) against the same car ....

My guess is it monitors your eyes on the road and any lane deviation.

It complains every time you look away from dead ahead for more than 0.000000000001 seconds.

There are two different versions. The Trophy (Luxury in Europe) has (or it appears had) a device on the cowl behind the steering wheel that acted in this way. But there's also a device that picks up if you wander around in the lanes and complains loudly that is in all models.

I can't say for sure, but I suspect it's only infotainment system updates that will be OTA - core firmware updates are likely only available via dealers.
I would imagine, it's just the wording they use, certainly leaves room for interpretation on what they actually mean.

From what i have been able to gather, the MG ZS EV Gen.2 is nearing its first year on the market, and they have not done a single OTA update of the infotainment as of yet.

So "It has the ability to be updated over the air" is technically correct, but when they never do it, it's kind of silly to even mention that it can.

Sort of "We can, but in all actuality, we never will".

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 523 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back