Free charging at work

N2STY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
This is a bit tongue in cheek but where I park my car at work there is unlimited un metered 700v dc any way I can use this? 🤔😜

Not unless it's set up as a vehicle charging point. Your car wouldn't accept the input even if you had the right connector.

The cars battery is wired up for around the 400v DC average, so pluging the car into the third and fourth rail (I guess Underground set up 😅), then the battery pack is going to pop. Unless you can get some kind of regulator to set down the voltage.
Maybe try to find one of those cleaners sockets, they should be AC 240v....

The cars battery is wired up for around the 400v DC average, so pluging the car into the third and fourth rail (I guess Underground set up 😅), then the battery pack is going to pop. Unless you can get some kind of regulator to set down the voltage.
Maybe try to find one of those cleaners sockets, they should be AC 240v....
Funny you should say that granny chargers everywhere 🤫
we have jump leads we could use but need a DC voltage regulator/step down or just get 100 charge in 5 mins?

I have seen some 32amp commando socket in blue we have red ones too so 3 phase available I could buy a 7kw charger cable off amazon with the commando plug on it
Screenshot_20220508_170820.jpg

What started as a bit of fun may just work out 😅

I know your right just looking at options 🤣 dc is far to dangerous to play with at them volts but I did not think to use the commando sockets it's actually a feasible option 7kw charging even on a 4h shift is worth while

I know your right just looking at options 🤣 dc is far to dangerous to play with at them volts but I did not think to use the commando sockets it's actually a feasible option 7kw charging even on a 4h shift is worth while
Hey …… I don’t blame you for looking at it, at all my friend !.
Well done for exploring the options.
Personally, I would be scared to death, pushing in that plug for the first time.
A good idea to be standing on about six inches of rubber mat and at the same time, have your phone on auto dial to the local under takers 🤣.
It’s a bit like this same question really :-
“When my 12 Volt battery runs flat - can I use the massive 450 volt HV pack to jump start my car”.🤣🤣.
All that power strapped under the floor and unable to tap off 1% of it, to power up the 12 volt battery 🔋.
It’s hard to get your head around it.
Sledge hammer and the nut situation, all over again.

Last edited:
Just to clarify I will not be using dc at 700v I have seen the results
it was only the fact dc chargers are so expensive that makes ac into dc and I am surrounded by free dc
But the 32A 240v ac sockets is a possible option I am sure it won't be long till we have EV's as fleet vehicles and proper charges will appear 🤞

But the 32A 240v ac sockets is a possible option I am sure it won't be long till we have EV's as fleet vehicles and proper charges will appear 🤞
Arh ..... Sorry, Phew, thank god for that !.
I grabbed the wrong end of the stick - Dooh !.
32 Amps on a single phase 240 volts supply ?.
That does make it more feasible then.
More research needed.
Good luck !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom