FREE solar power charging - Shade Greener

dale

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
hi guys ....
a long shot ,but here goes . Not had my mg5 long but love it and being a tight yorklshire chap I would like to charge my car for free from my solar panels .
but the solar panels on my house where installed by company called A shade greener, they install and maintain the panels for free and they are paid by the electricty company for the electricity they generate ,But I can use for free electricity as it is generated eg if the sun is shining and the car is plugged in "free charging" if it clouds over "not free charging".... any geniuses out there who could figure an automatic way of controlling when the car charges depending on the amount of electricty generated

My mother has a Shade Greener and its pathetic in terms of getting information about what the solar is doing.
We still haven't a clue if it's saving her money after many years of being installed... cant wait for it to be done so she can end the contract.

Something like a Zappi could do it but what size array and output do you have ?

Do you already have an EV charge point fitted?
not at present
Something like a Zappi could do it but what size array and output do you have ?
not 100% sure about the figures think it is a 3.5kw setup this is report from a shade greener . remember this is mid feb

Table - Previous 7 days​

Tuesday
08/02/22
Wednesday
09/02/22
Thursday
10/02/22
Friday
11/02/22
Saturday
12/02/22
Sunday
13/02/22
Monday
14/02/22
Daily (kWh):291111321
Total (kWh):30,27630,28530,29630,30730,31030,31230,313

My mother has a Shade Greener and its pathetic in terms of getting information about what the solar is doing.
We still haven't a clue if it's saving her money after many years of being installed... cant wait for it to be done so she can end the contract.
you can log in to a shade greener and get info

Do you already have an EV charge point fitted?
not at present .... still scratching my head on that one ... or if I need one ...... but should mention I am retired so charging is probably not as important to me as to people who have to travel to work everyday

Just plug the granny charger in a 12amp socket with a timer, manually override to off on rainy days.
kinda my thoughts too.... just thought their might have been a more scientific method lol

kinda my thoughts too.... just thought their might have been a more scientific method lol

Maybe a smart socket and use alexa / google / etc to turn on the socket when it's sunny would work? I don't actually use alexa but I think this is possible. Getting accurate weather via the internet is probably a problem. BBC weather app is often saying rain when its not.

A smart plug and some routines would be effective enough. I use a Hive Plug for another purpose and can set it to dusk til dawn etc, but for weather based routines I would need to use an intermediary app like IFTTT as Hive doesn't offer weather as a trigger.

Depends on how technical you are, the old school 'it's sunny, I'll charge the car' option is probably the easiest to implement.

not at present

not 100% sure about the figures think it is a 3.5kw setup this is report from a shade greener . remember this is mid feb

Table - Previous 7 days​

Tuesday
08/02/22
Wednesday
09/02/22
Thursday
10/02/22
Friday
11/02/22
Saturday
12/02/22
Sunday
13/02/22
Monday
14/02/22
Daily (kWh):291111321
Total (kWh):30,27630,28530,29630,30730,31030,31230,313
Thank you, I'll try and get my mother to find her login details again.
Unfortunately she isn't very Tech Literate or organised (keep proper email records etc).

not at present .... still scratching my head on that one ... or if I need one ...... but should mention I am retired so charging is probably not as important to me as to people who have to travel to work everyday
Hi and hello Dale welcome to the forum, I have just read through this thread and in the post you wrote here above you make a very important statement that you are retired, so I assume like me at home a fair bit in the daytime when the sun might be shining, now bearing that in mind you can see from your own figures that you have posted #5, that your solar array is not producing very much electricity at this time of year, and what you are producing will be getting use by your home usages mainly, so not much excess if any to put in the car.

Now don’t despair, things will get better in the spring you say you have a 3.5kw array on you roof, well from 10 yours or so experience in having a 3.84kw array on my roof, at the very best in ideal conditions the max you may produce in any one day will be in the order of 24-27kw but that won’t happen often, so let’s assume that for 6-7 months of the year an average of 15-20kw per day and I’m being generous there, depending how much you use in the home you are not left with a great lot for the car.
So which way to go, well as we know your home a fair amount in the day so you could just plug in the granny box and control it manually with the switch or a smart switch, just be sure your home electrical systems are in good order and your smart switch is up to the load also remember the granny charger is very slow and will need many hours to charge the car also be aware if you need to use extension leads that they are of the correct rating for the job and fully Unwound.
The other way is to have a 7kw charge point installed which will charge must faster, there are many of these on the market so take your pick, some of these can be pricey so take care and do your researching first.

There is a few that work well with solar, I have the Zappi the good thing about that unit is, it as 3 settings you can use Fast, Eco,and Eco plus,now in Fast mode it will charge the car at around 7.3kw until you stop it, in Eco mode it will charge at a constant 1.4kw and also send anything left over from the solar array to the car so if nothing is being used in the house all of the solar output will go to the car but it will never go below 1.4kw. In Eco plus mode the car will not charge until your solar is producing at lease 1.4kw, so if the sun goes behind a cloud the car will stop charging if the solar goes down below 1.4 kw, the happy medium in all this is for me is the Eco mode and then if I need more I can just switch it into fast mode but the cost for this charger is around the £900 mark some may be a bit cheaper if you shop around
So Dale sorry if that lot is a bit of a read, but with your solar array very much like mine there is no way you can run the car for free all of the time, you will get some free miles but not all, but it’s still a lot cheaper than an ICE vehicle and that’s for sure.
Les

Last edited:
thanks for that
the solar was always " has cost me nothing" so any thing gained from it was a plus
so yes sunny days top it up for free
The wife and I also have a run to Northallerton on a Monday bit of walk/shopping/pub lunch, and the public car park has free charging so top up a little there as well
this is as much about having a little fun beating the system as well saving a few bob lol

A smart plug and some routines would be effective enough. I use a Hive Plug for another purpose and can set it to dusk til dawn etc, but for weather based routines I would need to use an intermediary app like IFTTT as Hive doesn't offer weather as a trigger.

Depends on how technical you are, the old school 'it's sunny, I'll charge the car' option is probably the easiest to implement.
thanks I do have a couple of smart plugs connected to alexa not sure if they could take the current or I could convince alexa to switch on and off when its sunny
will do a bit of research first

There are as has been said automatic devices that will clip onto the meter tails to try and detect any outbound current to divert it to the car. Great if you are not there but as a good retired Yorkshireman they are not cheap and hard to justify. So the Mk1 finger is a good substitute.

However watch out for "top ups". Lithium batteries do not like small recharges being applied to keep them up to 100%. In general avoid recharging if the battery is above 80% unless you have a specific need to have it at 100% for a long trip. One of the effects of the LR is I have more scope as to how long to leave it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom