Front Collision Assist AEB

CarlMG4

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Has anyone else had a problem with this?

Never had it before today, Today it has happened twice .. once when pulling in behind a car parked on the side of the road after indicating in, and once when driving straight forward into a parking bay at the supermarket with a car in the opposite bay.

Not driving particularly fast both times, around 5mph, slower as I got closer.

Then I thought I hit something, no audible warning just bang, stopped about 6ft away from the car in front. Hurt my neck the first time, hurt my son's neck the second time as he was in the car.

I have Collision Assist set to alert+AEB - moderate sensitivity, which I've since dropped to LOW.

Windscreen is clean, cameras and sensors are clean. Mg4 trophy r 24 infotainment version.

Anyone else? Think I need it looking at 😷

There are a few other threads about this topic. A search for AEB should yield them. :)

Yeah I read them, all seem to be when there are oncoming cars at junctions etc. or it has detected an object closer than it is.

My problem is I was slowing down, creeping closer to the vehicle in front to park, on purpose. It's similar but not the same.

I'll take it in to the dealer, it's not happened before even though I've performed the same maneuver daily for 5 weeks. Now twice today it's happened.

Mine went off this afternoon for the first time, but I'm inclined to forgive it.

I was driving quite slowly along the main street in Keighley, and there were cars parked along the pavement. A guy came off the pavement into the road and opened the driver's door of his car in front of me.

I didn't think it was an issue. I didn't think I was close enough in to the parked cars to have touched him. But my car slammed on its brakes anyway.

However, that could have been someone, maybe a child, starting to run out into the road. And the stop wasn't particularly violent, no whiplash or anything, possibly because I was going very slowly.

It's on probation now but I'm still not switching it off. Yet.

Mine has only ever gone off when I've expected it to, aka when I'm not breaking hard enough :)

To be honest it goes off less often than on the GLA which had sensors right around the front bumper so even cars turning off to the side would make it beep.

Mine has only ever gone off when I've expected it to, aka when I'm not breaking hard enough :)

To be honest it goes off less often than on the GLA which had sensors right around the front bumper so even cars turning off to the side would make it beep.

Yeah normally this was the case for mine too, beeps if the car in front was slowing down/stopping and it didn't like how little I pressed the brake, I was always aware of it.

The difference being today, twice, there was no warning, no alert, no message. Just an uncalled for emergency stop, when I was approaching a parked car - to park myself, which is harsh from any speed when you're not expecting it.

I'm just a bit baffled by it 🤔

Yeah normally this was the case for mine too, beeps if the car in front was slowing down/stopping and it didn't like how little I pressed the brake, I was always aware of it.

The difference being today, twice, there was no warning, no alert, no message. Just an uncalled for emergency stop, when I was approaching a parked car - to park myself, which is harsh from any speed when you're not expecting it.

I'm just a bit baffled by it 🤔
That is weird, you'd expect it to at least make the beeping noise to warn you its engaging AEB

Having a hurt neck is a little inconsistent with a low speed parking manoeuvre emergency stop….

Its done it to me once when i saw a right side turning a couple cars ahead in stopped traffic on a two lane road. Let a car in the opposite direction pass and then pulled out to enter the opposite lane to jump the traffic jam queue to do the right turn. It threw the brakes on as soon as I entered the opposing CLEAR lane

Having a hurt neck is a little inconsistent with a low speed parking manoeuvre emergency stop….
Maybe for some, maybe not for some, it was like hitting a brick wall. I'm not saying it was whiplash inducing, just wasn't pleasant on my neck and my 7 year olds neck. No lingering effects.

I didn't really come to discuss whether a 5mph unexpected (key word) emergency stop would cause a sore neck. If I had performed the emergency stop, I would have been able to brace myself. But thanks for your input 🙂

Maybe for some, maybe not for some, it was like hitting a brick wall. I'm not saying it was whiplash inducing, just wasn't pleasant on my neck and my 7 year olds neck. No lingering effects.

I didn't really come to discuss whether a 5mph unexpected (key word) emergency stop would cause a sore neck. If I had performed the emergency stop, I would have been able to brace myself. But thanks for your input 🙂
If the brakes are slammed on without warning even a very low speed stop can cause whiplash. I remember a classic 1980s TV demonstration of strapping people into a sled and having it slide down and stop suddenly from 7mph - people were shaken up and shocked with the violence of the impact. Preparing through bracing makes a huge difference at low speeds.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back