Front Number Plate mount

Jester27

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi all, been thinking about this since seeing the car for the first time and now I have one, I'm considering having a go.

I'm thinking about taking the front number plate mount off and applying a stick on number plate to the front bumper area like I've seen on some tesla model 3's
Obviously depending on where the current mounting holes are and whether they'd be covered ok.

It will open up the lower vents a little and make the front look much cleaner.
I've had a basic play in photoshop to see what it would look like.

Thoughts ??

As the car comes as standard.

Plate old.jpg.jpg

How I envisage the car after

Plate new.jpg.jpg

Do we think there would there be any legal issues with the plate facing down slightly ??
I cant see anything in the INF104 document on plate standards
Cheers
Dean

Last edited:
Hi all, been thinking about this since seeing the car for the first time and now I have one, I'm considering having a go.

I'm thinking about taking the front number plate mount off and applying a stick on number plate to the front bumper area like I've seen on some tesla model 3's
Obviously depending on where the current mounting holes are and whether they'd be covered ok.

Thoughts ??

View attachment 11729

View attachment 11730

Do we think there would there be any legal issues with the plate facing down slightly ??
Cheers
Dean
Whilst I don’t think there are any rules on the angle, you may be pulled over if the police think your numberplate is not clearly readable at a distance. However, that’s much more likely with a rear rather than front plate. Given how many people have illegal fonts and spacing, I doubt you’ll have an issue, but don’t quote me if you do!

Edit: As it is a modification, you should tell your insurer.

To update this
I had a look today and the black plastic piece behind the front number plate is easy enough to remove.
Unfortunately the front bumper still has a number plate mount moulded into it so it won't work as I wanted it to anyway.

I have removed the black section anyway and mounted to the one on the bumper instead as it's slightly further back and you can mount slightly higher than the removed mount.

Not a major difference but it looks a tiny bit better without the big chunk plastic thing sticking out.

To update this
I had a look today and the black plastic piece behind the front number plate is easy enough to remove.
Unfortunately the front bumper still has a number plate mount moulded into it so it won't work as I wanted it to anyway.

I have removed the black section anyway and mounted to the one on the bumper instead as it's slightly further back and you can mount slightly higher than the removed mount.

Not a major difference but it looks a tiny bit better without the big chunk plastic thing sticking out.
Picture please.

Thoughts ??

View attachment 11729

View attachment 11730

Cheers
Dean
Hi
From watching police interceptors you could get stopped for the lower photo as a ANPR could not read this clearly. On Instagram there is a post by a Devon and Cornwall police describing how front and rear number plate are displayed, it is not always in writing in documents to cover all the ways plates could be display and in this one the number is on a downward facing part of the car so as not be clear at a distance to be read.

Hi
From watching police interceptors you could get stopped for the lower photo as a ANPR could not read this clearly. On Instagram there is a post by a Devon and Cornwall police describing how front and rear number plate are displayed, it is not always in writing in documents to cover all the ways plates could be display and in this one the number is on a downward facing part of the car so as not be clear at a distance to be read.
Cheers for explaining that
As I said after checking though
It's not an option now as the front bumper has a moulded in plate mount anyway

On Instagram there is a post by a Devon and Cornwall police describing how front and rear number plate are displayed, it is not always in writing in documents to cover all the ways plates could be display and in this one the number is on a downward facing part of the car so as not be clear at a distance to be read.

Sounds like the Police making it up as they go along. There's no requirement in law for the plate to be vertical nor for it to be centrally mounted nor fully transverse.

Below is an example of a legal plate on a Police Evo

Screenshot 2022-10-16 10.18.13 PM.png

My under standing is that of September 2021 number plate have to be mounted central and vertical the police car is a 58 plate which Is fine for that age of car. Rules change and affect car after that date only. At this time new ruled cover the 3D type plate as well.
The photo of the MG 4 with the plate faces towards the floor could be be classed as obstruction of the plate which is a different offence. The police have book which have codes for many offences which cover a multiple of driving sines and sometimes they get stuck on which one to slap on you.

The photo of the MG 4 with the plate faces towards the floor could be be classed as obstruction of the plate which is a different offence.

The operative word being "could". This would be very open to challenge in court if it ever got that far.

The police have book which have codes for many offences which cover a multiple of driving sines and sometimes they get stuck on which one to slap on you.

Normally when they are looking for an excuse to have stopped you. Yet around here people openly break the law driving without front plates, or with illegal size or spacing of characters on plates seemingly without enforcement.

According to the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001:

“A registration plate must be fixed on the front of the vehicle in the manner required by paragraph (3).

“This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable. In such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having the diagonal length specified.

“A registration plate must not be treated in any other way which renders the characters of the registration mark less easily distinguishable to the eye or which would prevent or impair
the making of a true photographic image of the plate through the medium of camera and film or any other device.”

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back