Full Beam dark spots

On the SE there is one height adjuster each side, you usually need to raise the dipped bean cut off as it's too low. The main beam is just an additional higher light. The lights are ok but not as good as eithe the bi-zenon or LED headlights in my two golfs.

For the Trophy I think the lights are better. There are two adjusters each side and both the dipped and main beams can be adjusted for height independantly. I wonder if the 'gap' is where the dipped beam is too low and / or the main beam too high?

My Golf was pre-xenon - I think the xenon was an optional extra I didn't pay for. I hated these xenon lights, and they became the bane of my life when I had cataracts. LED lights seem fine, and although I need my dipped beam brought up a bit the lights on the SE SR seem to be OK.

20231022_221751.jpg

You can see how narrow the full beam is when parked close to a wall, tried adjusting them but doesn't help. They're okay at lighting up the road straight ahead, but on twisty or narrow roads the lack of spread is really noticeable. My previous car had bi-LED and the entire beam shifted up providing excellent spread. As far as I can tell, this is what the SE has so I wonder if the SE lights are actually better than the Trophy?

View attachment 21047
You can see how narrow the full beam is when parked close to a wall, tried adjusting them but doesn't help. They're okay at lighting up the road straight ahead, but on twisty or narrow roads the lack of spread is really noticeable. My previous car had bi-LED and the entire beam shifted up providing excellent spread. As far as I can tell, this is what the SE has so I wonder if the SE lights are actually better than the Trophy?
My SE lights had to be adjusted as the were angled too low and didn't throw the beam far enough ahead .
They're now excellent with no gaps in either dipped or full beam .
Still not quite as good as my Seat Arona which had matrix LED headlights but much better than all of my other previous cars.

My SE lights are supposed to be being realigned on Wednesday. The first time I asked them to do it they said they'd checked and the lights were MOT compliant so they didn't do anything. I said, but the MOT only checks they're not too high. I told you I wanted them higher if possible! Oh dear.

So this time I said, as high as it's possible to set them and still be an MOT pass. So we'll see.

I know this is an old thread, but did you get any progress on this? First time night driving for me and I have the same dark spots.
Hi Mate,

It went in to the garage for some work and this was one of the things I raised... Long story short they didn't do any of the work I asked them to. Waiting for a slot at a different dealership now

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back