Full charge displays 220 KM

facultative

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
When I complete a full charge, before I disconnect the cable, I always check the display on the screen , it shows 260 KM. Once I disconnect the cable and turn the power on from inside the car, the display shows the range available to be only 220, not 260 km. Anyone got any idea what is going on with this discrepancy. Many thanks in advance.

If you read all the answers, you would have seen my answer in post #9
Also there's no way you'll get 10% more range in ECO than in normal unless you drive slower, that's why it's called a guess-o-meter.
And the estimated mileage shown being what you will get in driving like a nun in ECO is exactly what I said.
So you are driving along in Normal with 200km showing left and you switch to Eco my car then shows 220km range left and I dont have to drive slower to get the extra 20km ? The car is more responsive and uses slightly more battery in Normal mode and even more in Sport mode.

Upvote 0
Whilst charging, mine shows the estimated range in N mode, also after a full charge the range shown on GOM is in N mode.
Well mine does not, maybe like the OP. when I do a full charge it shows around 265km but when I turn on the car the dash display shows around 240km as it starts in Normal mode. If I flick my Mode switch to Eco it shows 265km.

Upvote 0
No its not. The range shown on charging is what is estimated in Eco mode. That is why the OP is confused.
It must be different on the European one then, range, in miles, showing whilst charging on the UK model is definitely the range in NORMAL mode with heating off.

Upvote 0
So you are driving along in Normal with 200km showing left and you switch to Eco my car then shows 220km range left and I dont have to drive slower to get the extra 20km ? The car is more responsive and uses slightly more battery in Normal mode and even more in Sport mode.
The response of the car and how much battery it uses is purely down to your control of your foot on the pedal. ECO mode just makes it easier for you to press the pedal gently by altering the amount of power you get for a certain amount of pedal. The GOM is not an accurate representation of the actual miles you will get, it is an estimation. The extra miles shown on the GOM is the estimated achievable amount if you press the pedal gently, which it assumes you will because you chose ECO mode. The car is more responsive in NORMAL and SPORT because you're applying more power with the same amount of pedal. I take the same journey every morning and in the same weather conditions I get the same miles per kWh whether it's in NORMAL or ECO because I drive it steady.
This diagram shows the relationship between the amount of pedal travel and the power applied to the motor in the three different modes:
Pedal map.png

Upvote 0
There's a few confusing responses here concerning Eco mode or battery balancing but I think it's purely about HVAC. The OP is in Australia where the range for a full charge in Normal mode is 263 km (without HVAC on), thus the disappointment at seeing only 220 km when they start up.

The HVAC takes 15% off the estimated range so I'm fairly sure the difference is because they have it on. Try turning it off and you should see the higher range.

In my experience the real-world reduction in range from having the fan on with occasional AC, as is likely in Perth climate, is closer to 10% so you've probably got closer to 235 km than what the GOM is showing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am not sure if any of the replies have hit on an answer. Again, if I may, after fully charging and before disconnecting the charge cable, my screen says fully charged and shows 260 km. Once I disconnect the cable and start up the car, the screen shows 220km . Now there is nought difference of any value, if I change the "modes"....I will never see 260....which, excuse me repeating myself, is what the range shows after fully charged i.e. 260. Anyhow I do appreciate all the replies and suggestions.

By the way, may I throw another different topic into the ring. I am going to replace one of the reversing bulbs, with a bulb that has built-in sound i.e. beep beep beep....I did this was with my petrol car as when I reverse (I have to reverse) out of my home into a busy sidewalk, I cannot see left or right if any pedestrian coming, so this noise does the trick warning-wise. This is really not a question, but more of what views others may have as I always thought it was a good idea, Some cars may have this built-in (like commercial vehicles) buy you don't hear much about these bulbs being available. The sound is built in and sounds when you put the car in reverse. Anyone else doing this?

Upvote 0
On seconds thoughts, after now going through more of the replies I see my question has been answered as to the 260km display. So we can put that topic to bed, or at least I can. Thank you all for replies.

Upvote 0
am not sure if any of the replies have hit on an answer. Again, if I may, after fully charging and before disconnecting the charge cable, my screen says fully charged and shows 260 km. Once I disconnect the cable and start up the car, the screen shows 220km . Now there is nought difference of any value, if I change the "modes"....I will never see 260....which, excuse me repeating myself, is what the range shows after fully charged i.e. 260. Anyhow I do appreciate all the replies and suggestions.
So your GOM reading does not change on your dash when you toggle in Eco, Normal or Sport ? You need a visit to your dealer if it does not.

Upvote 0
As I said in my message, there is no significant difference when I toggle to the various modes... In other words minor difference in mileage only between the various modes......In any case it does not explain why I see 260km's after being fully charged and then no reference whatsoever to 260 after disconnecting the cable and starting the car and toggling through the various modes.

Upvote 0
The response of the car and how much battery it uses is purely down to your control of your foot on the pedal. ECO mode just makes it easier for you to press the pedal gently by altering the amount of power you get for a certain amount of pedal. The GOM is not an accurate representation of the actual miles you will get, it is an estimation. The extra miles shown on the GOM is the estimated achievable amount if you press the pedal gently, which it assumes you will because you chose ECO mode. The car is more responsive in NORMAL and SPORT because you're applying more power with the same amount of pedal. I take the same journey every morning and in the same weather conditions I get the same miles per kWh whether it's in NORMAL or ECO because I drive it steady.
This diagram shows the relationship between the amount of pedal travel and the power applied to the motor in the three different modes:
View attachment 6827
Wow! I thought I stumbled on to the Open University website by mistake...! all beyond my ken :-(

Upvote 0
I have the original model, and generally charge at home. Typical range is 330km at the point of full charge ! If you look at the battery voltage at full charge, it should show about 445V. If it is less, then you need to equibralise. Any recharge other than at home will adversely affect voltage and therefore range. If you change from N to E then you will get 10% extra range. The range is an indication not a guide, and depends if you have zeroised the trip and total mileage., and then how you use the car.

Upvote 0
330km from a first gen ZS is surely not correct ? Thats around 200 miles. I have never seen more than 270km estimated range when fully charged and I have only ever charged at home. Can you post a picture showing your 330km range after charging ? If you can get that here in France there must be something wrong with mine - and my neighbour who has exactly the same model as me ! BTW we are not far from you in Roussines 16310.

Upvote 0
I must agree, I never seen anything written about 330KM for this model, not even on the MG written material. But having said that can anyone tell me how to "so-called" equibralise? not sure what in fact that means in the context of the battery...thank you in advance for any advice you can provide on this.

Upvote 0
I must agree, I never seen anything written about 330KM for this model, not even on the MG written material. But having said that can anyone tell me how to "so-called" equibralise? not sure what in fact that means in the context of the battery...thank you in advance for any advice you can provide on this.
Battery equalisation, or balancing, is done to make sure all the cells are equally charged. A lot of DC charging (with rapid chargers) can lead to variation - a good analogy is trying to fill an ice cube tray with the tap on full.

To equalise the battery you need to charge with a 7kW charger or standard wall outlet and keep the charging cable connected after it shows 100% and the MG badge on the port stops pulsing. Leave it connected until the light goes out completely. This could take less than half an hour if the battery is ok though I've heard stories of people having to do it multiple times over many hours to achieve balance. Mine has only ever taken a short time.

If the car is fairly new, has the right battery management updates and you don't do much DC charging it should be simple. I've seen advice saying to do it every month or two.

BTW I've had over 300km range occasionally (about 14kwH/100km) for pure urban driving in warm weather but to get 330km that driver must be driving very sedately.

Upvote 0
When I complete a full charge, before I disconnect the cable, I always check the display on the screen , it shows 260 KM. Once I disconnect the cable and turn the power on from inside the car, the display shows the range available to be only 220, not 260 km. Anyone got any idea what is going on with this discrepancy. Many thanks in advance.
The 260 is when you drive under "perfect" conditions. It's winter now, and we have sad the heat on 2 red bulbs and the fan speed is set to 3 bulbs. This how we run the car must off the time when it's winter. We drive often on motorway, so the GOM is almost always under 200 km off range, must at around 185 km. The car know's our driving habits pretty well and is very accurate to how we drive in winter times. It will be frustrating if it started out with 260 all the time, because winter is not the perfect time for the longest off range.

Upvote 0
The 260 is when you drive under "perfect" conditions. It's winter now, and we have sad the heat on 2 red bulbs and the fan speed is set to 3 bulbs. This how we run the car must off the time when it's winter. We drive often on motorway, so the GOM is almost always under 200 km off range, must at around 185 km. The car know's our driving habits pretty well and is very accurate to how we drive in winter times. It will be frustrating if it started out with 260 all the time, because winter is not the perfect time for the longest off range.
It's summer in Perth, Australia where he is from and it is showing 220km because the fan is on which reduces the GOM by 15%.

Upvote 0
I think this points out that the GOM system needs more work. Maybe lowest range and highest range achieved over so many charges Being displayed along with current range would give the driver a better idea of where the range would sit. Just a thought.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom