Fully Charged wants your opinions

Looks like the main gripe is the keep lane assist. On that point if you set it on warning mode does it stay there or would you have to set it up every time you jump in the car?
Every time.
There are some cars with an exception to that, but that'll likely be updated away when serviced.

Looks like the main gripe is the keep lane assist. On that point if you set it on warning mode does it stay there or would you have to set it up every time you jump in the car?
Every time. It's an NCAP requirement - on the basis that the car doesn't know whether it's the same driver, and NCAP believes that these settings should be in a predictable state.

It occurred to me that a big "LOAD DRIVING PROFILE" on the home screen would solve this. Satisfy NCAP by always starting up in a standard state. Satisfy drivers by conveniently loading their preference. It would be an obvious place to put preferences for more than one driver, too.

Every time. It's an NCAP requirement - on the basis that the car doesn't know whether it's the same driver, and NCAP believes that these settings should be in a predictable state.

It occurred to me that a big "LOAD DRIVING PROFILE" on the home screen would solve this. Satisfy NCAP by always starting up in a standard state. Satisfy drivers by conveniently loading their preference. It would be an obvious place to put preferences for more than one driver, too.
It would or should be able to be set up in the same manner as the memory function for the electric seats, you jump in, main screen loads up ,select driver 1 or 2 etc, your preferred settings, away you go!! Simples

It would or should be able to be set up in the same manner as the memory function for the electric seats, you jump in, main screen loads up ,select driver 1 or 2 etc, your preferred settings, away you go!! Simples
There's a memory function for the electric seats?

I know some cars load preferences based on which key is being used. But not the MG4; I guess it's a premium thing.

Every time.
There are some cars with an exception to that, but that'll likely be updated away when serviced.
Only if you let MG near it again! - they didn't update the LKA when it went in for a recall in January! - you can tell them not to update the software, afterall you are the car owner, not them!

Only if you let MG near it again! - they didn't update the LKA when it went in for a recall in January! - you can tell them not to update the software, afterall you are the car owner, not them!
Well if you want that warranty you'll have to have it serviced. That's when they'll check SW, I'd imagine most service centres will do what they are told by MG.

It's perfectly possible to have it serviced by an independent garage who don't even have access to MG software updates.
Exactly: The warranty says:

Each main service is carried out within 1000 miles / 1609 kilometers or 28 days of the recommended mileage interval or service anniversary date as shown on the Service Interval Plan (within the service portfolio) and that the appropriate service record page is stamped and endorsed by the servicing agent. Whilst the warranty will not be invalidated if a non-authorised repairer carries out this work, Warranty faults resulting from work carried out by a non-authorised repairer may not be covered under the MG Warranty.

Has anyone seen a Service Interval Plan for an MG4 EV: As i understand it, their isn't one, just a requirement to change the cabin filer & check the brake fluid every 2 years (& change if required): I'm sure they will sell you service kit if you ask the parts dept.

The best I've found, as to service costs is this: Blights Motors :: MG Servicing
MG 4 EV
  • 15,000 Miles / 1 Year£83.40
  • 30,000 Miles / 2 Years£167.65
  • 45,000 Miles / 3 Years£83.40
  • 60,000 Miles / 4 Years£195.17
  • 75,000 Miles / 5 Years£224.16
  • 90,000 Miles / 6 Years£167.65
... which seems very very reasonable as others have pointed out as you get a years AA cover for free - but will MG update the firmware at service? - I doubt it at these prices, as so much can go wrong, for every little payment.

EDIT: Thinking about it, its just like autoglass, even though they have the facilities to do a ADAS calibration, they just refused to do my last car in the centre, as the crack caused a diagnostic fault in the camera.

Last edited:
Not really an issue for me, as the lease company will sort out my servicing...

But out of curiosity, how likely is it that a local MOT garage is going to be servicing EVs? Do they generally have the kit and the skills? I guess their business is going to dwindle over the next 20 years if not...

But out of curiosity, how likely is it that a local MOT garage is going to be servicing EVs? Do they generally have the kit and the skills? I guess their business is going to dwindle over the next 20 years if not...
... it be exactly the same for all parts of the car (that they check in the MOT), the only difference is the replacement of engine with battery (as the motor is pretty much life of the car), same tools really a diagnostic scanner to tell you which is the problem part of the engine or battery module, what will end up is either battery recyling or 2nd use applications for the battery (via energy storage).

Previous ICE cars I’ve had have had a different set of driver settings for each key. Surely achievable with a trivial software update.

Cupra do it a wee bit different.
You can use the same key, but can set up a profile for users.
So my car has different users for me and my wife, with different radio stations, heater setting and ambient light colours.
These settings can be used in any Cupra, not just mine.

New trainees will be taught how to service EVs at college and the older mechanics will go on training courses like they always have done as cars evolve.
When I first started driving electronic ignition was rare and ECUs weren't heard of.

New trainees will be taught how to service EVs at college and the older mechanics will go on training courses like they always have done as cars evolve.
When I first started driving electronic ignition was rare and ECUs weren't heard of.
My partners nephew is currently at college in Madrid studying to become an EV technician/mechanic. He's already been told that he is allowed no where near the car when we go down in a couple of weeks 😁

A few years ago I took my old Renault 4 (1986) to a Renault dealer to try to get some exhaust parts for it (which they miraculously managed to supply). While I was there with the bonnet open, some mechanics (or technicians as they had probably become known as!) came out to have a look as it had been years since they'd seen one. One of them dragged a young mechanic along and pointed under the bonnet saying 'Look, carburettor! And look, distributor!'. It made me feel very old to realise that there were mechanics that had never seen such things. Time moves on...

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back