Gear shifting in EV mode, Warning

My first impression with driving my brand new MG plug-in Hybrid in 100% EV mode:
The electric drive has a 4 gear transmission systeem which often shifts in a very slow way. The car halts for a moment like someone who cannot find the next gear!
In the hybrid mode with 6 extra gears available here is no problem at all, but in EV I find it troublesome, especially when overtaking traffic on dual roads. At a speed of around 80km/hr while accelerating, a total power cut occurs for about a full second causing decelleration! Anyone who can confirm this?
My hope is improvement in the near future for all owners in that case.
I can confirm this. In hybrid mode also, there is a HUGE 'flat spot' at about the same speed, but it's masked to some extent by the ICE. This is well known, and is certainly a software issue, but whether it will ever be fixed is another matter.

Not a thing. I was meant to take it in for another check by my local dealer but required the car to be kept for a week. Will ask them to check on next service.
I do not know why they say it needs to be kept for a week 99% of the time would just sit on the forecourt. Need to be stronger you are the customer if you wish to get any where. My MG Tec says it how the gearbox’s works not the best one in the world but will not let you down fingers crossed.

I do not know why they say it needs to be kept for a week 99% of the time would just sit on the forecourt. Need to be stronger you are the customer if you wish to get any where. My MG Tec says it how the gearbox’s works not the best one in the world but will not let you down fingers crossed.
They were honest about it.. they said that they will test it when they get around to it. I had total loss of power earlier this year but a straight restart fixed it - maybe it was in wrong gear or something. Otherwise it has been good. Now that I am used to it, it doesn't annoy me as much - after all I have driven it like 18k miles

I have it too in Australia. I get the ghost needle that heads to 100% on the power meter during the issue which only gets mentioned once in this thread. I’ll be on the case with the dealer and MG Australia too. Saic need to get this resolved. Love the car, not happy about this issue though.

Stands to reason that this shift delay can be adjusted based on some videos on YT that do not show this slow shift. A few more of these kind of misstep and MG will fade to the back row, with new competition starting to crowed the market, why bother with this kind product shortcomings........?

My first impression with driving my brand new MG plug-in Hybrid in 100% EV mode:
The electric drive has a 4 gear transmission systeem which often shifts in a very slow way. The car halts for a moment like someone who cannot find the next gear!
In the hybrid mode with 6 extra gears available here is no problem at all, but in EV I find it troublesome, especially when overtaking traffic on dual roads. At a speed of around 80km/hr while accelerating, a total power cut occurs for about a full second causing decelleration! Anyone who can confirm this?
My hope is improvement in the near future for all owners in that case.
Confirmed

Update. I took my HS PHEV in for its complimentary 1 month/1500klm service. I had advised them of the issue with loss of power around the 70-80kmh mark in advance. They said there was a software update for the transmission and that the update will also reset its records of the drivers driving style as it learns as you drive. They said it’ll take another 1000klm to learn our driving style and that it wouldn’t be perfect before then. I did notice the lag when driving home in EV mode but it wasn’t as long or noticeable as previous experiences. Fingers crossed this is an improvement but won’t know for sure until I’ve experienced the issue more over the coming weeks.

Update. I took my HS PHEV in for its complimentary 1 month/1500klm service. I had advised them of the issue with loss of power around the 70-80kmh mark in advance. They said there was a software update for the transmission and that the update will also reset its records of the drivers driving style as it learns as you drive. They said it’ll take another 1000klm to learn our driving style and that it wouldn’t be perfect before then. I did notice the lag when driving home in EV mode but it wasn’t as long or noticeable as previous experiences. Fingers crossed this is an improvement but won’t know for sure until I’ve experienced the issue more over the coming weeks.
That sounds promising! Did the workshop install this update on your car?
If not, did they say anything about how it will be rolled out?

That sounds promising! Did the workshop install this update on your car?
If not, did they say anything about how it will be rolled out?
I don’t think it’s anything that hasn’t been out for a bit already. You just need someone that can access the updates and install the correct one. It took him about 20 minutes checking through the available MG updates to find the one we needed. I’m sure others in this thread will have received updates too but may not have any success worth mentioning. Like I said, need more time behind the wheel. If it does seem beneficial then I’ll hound the guy to provide more info that I can put in the thread.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom