Gen2 MG4 - has anyone seen one yet?

lbdsg

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hello, and greetings from New Zealand. The MG4 hasn’t yet landed here although I have a deposit on one and the demo cars are due in about two weeks, with the first batch of cars for sale about a month after that.

Apparently they will all be gen2 cars (rear wiper, third headrest, color match roof, larger wheels, etc). What I am wondering is whether it not any material upgrades have been made to the firmware or the infotainment system…and specifically the LKA system. Presumably there will be updated firmware because if nothing else controls will be needed for the rear wiper…hopefully some other issues will also be addressed.

Are we all in a “wait and see” mode here or has anyone taken delivery of a gen2 car and able to comment?

Thanks!

Hello, and greetings from New Zealand. The MG4 hasn’t yet landed here although I have a deposit on one and the demo cars are due in about two weeks, with the first batch of cars for sale about a month after that.

Apparently they will all be gen2 cars (rear wiper, third headrest, color match roof, larger wheels, etc). What I am wondering is whether it not any material upgrades have been made to the firmware or the infotainment system…and specifically the LKA system. Presumably there will be updated firmware because if nothing else controls will be needed for the rear wiper…hopefully some other issues will also be addressed.

Are we all in a “wait and see” mode here or has anyone taken delivery of a gen2 car and able to comment?

Thanks!
Picked mine up last Friday, new version trophy or exclusive they call it in Ireland, no need to turn LKA off as only a gentle pull once in a while when I cross while lines,no biggie,one pedal driving is a gift and the bigger wheels with new covers look great,car looks bigger and meatier than I remember, haven't stop smiling

Picked mine up last Friday, new version trophy or exclusive they call it in Ireland, no need to turn LKA off as only a gentle pull once in a while when I cross while lines,no biggie,one pedal driving is a gift and the bigger wheels with new covers look great,car looks bigger and meatier than I remember, haven't stop smiling

Nice! Can I ask what is your tire spec (brand and width/profile dimensions) and do you know the software version? Thanks!

IMG_4893.jpeg
IMG_4893.jpeg

I have had the gen 2 for about a month now and overall very happy. The software has been the only downfall so far. I have had issues with CarPlay disconnecting or not connecting plus the radio functionality not working at all. However, a trip to the dealer does seem to have fixed this for now.

It’s my first electric car, so I can’t compare against other models/brands but I think for the price it’s very good. I also really like the minimal interior styling. By comparison, I had an MG5 as a courtesy car and it almost gave me a migraine 😵‍💫

I’m in the U.K. and took delivery of one last week. Very pleased with it. No issues so far. Can’t comment on the buggy software as mine seems fine.
It's not so much buggy software,it's missing software. No charging suggestions in Navigation,no trip logging,our Leaf24 was constantly updating charging locations.

Nice! Can I ask what is your tire spec (brand and width/profile dimensions) and do you know the software version? Thanks!
I took i delivery of a new MY23 spec Trophy yesterday. It was parked up next to the dealer's MG4 XPower demonstrators model! They have identical tyres but XPower has sporty alloys and orange callipers. Even so the new cover design I think is a huge improvement over the older model.

Tyres are Bridgestone Turanza 235/45 R18 98W. Attached a pic to see.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    498.7 KB · Views: 206
New MY23 Trophy picked up yesterday in Volcano Orange. Main differences over the MY22 'older' model are added rear wiper, rear centre head rest, new 18" alloys with new cover design and revised infotainment system/layout. Don't really care much for the centre rear head rest, like most people have said, will probably remove it to improve view. Rear wiper is tiny and probably useless. New 1-pedal driving option, but so far I think I prefer to break (maybe I'm too old school).

New bigger tyres and aero covers are a definite improvement and it looks like MG have tried to address MY22 owners gripes about the infotainment system. Eg. New simplified layout and bigger buttons to press (esp. for climate control) and added functions for the star button on steering wheel. I remember a lot of complaints about the tiny layout and buttons before and the assist options felt like killing rather than keeping you safe, but it appears these have all been resolved in the newer software. Note- my dealer a MY22 Trophy spec owner seemed most disappointed that current MY22 owners won't be getting this new new software/firmware in their vehicles any time soon, which I feel is a shame as the cars are essentially the same and snubs many existing owners. I hear MG are still trying to sell off remaining old MY22 spec models so anyone with an awaiting order make sure you request the new spec model.

My only gripe- it's missing the 2-tone black roof which I really liked. But I like my Volcano orange so much it isn't a dealer breaker. Word is the 2-tone roof has been reserved for the Trophy spec Enhanced range 77Kw version, probably out sometime 2024. I've heard others are putting a wrap over where the black roof was to restore the look. Not sure, if I'll do that, but was thinking it would look nice with black racing stripes???

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    730.7 KB · Views: 198
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    498.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    642.2 KB · Views: 199
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    695.5 KB · Views: 223
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 212
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 204
@lbdsg drove an MG4 demonstrator last week here on the Kapiti coast and can confirm the rear wiper. Tyres were Bridgestone Turanza. Larger 18" wheels only on the Essence and Long Range models, the two Excite versions (51 kW LFP and 64 kW NMC types) have the smaller 17" tyres. The roof was black.

Bit of a disappointment in that the AC charge capability is only single phase 6.6 kW, except for the top spec LR 77 model. We have a base ZS EV and like the 11kW charging from our three phase power at home.

IMG_1245.jpeg

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 522 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel