Goodbye MG4 Trophy!

Deakin

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Well, after a whole year of hassle, multiple software updates, 3 weeks in the dealership, a new infotainment screen, reloaded charging software and 2 very dangerous unprovoked emergency stops, the car is gone!
Buying the MG4 was a huge mistake. We sold it back to the dealer for a big loss, but a little above trade price. MG UK refused to take it back for a refund even though I put in writing (within 6months) that I would reject the car unless they could fix it.
It’s a good looking car, that drives well (most of the time), but there are just too many glitches in the electronics.
I have replaced it with a 10 month old Hyundai Kona EV for a very good price. Ok, the looks are a little bland, but it all works and is better thought through.
For example, I can now easily adjust the heating and AC without having to go into screen settings that don’t respond. No need to configure buttons on the steering wheel. Similarly with heated seats, changing driving mode or regenerative braking. There is also an OFF button so the car can be switched off without having to go into menus or getting out and locking the car.
Having to go into the infotainment screen while driving is just not safe.
Also having to disable safety features like emergency braking, to render the car safe to drive (as MG suggested) is just ridiculous.
On the Kona Apple CarPlay works every time (same phone and lead) without crashing the infotainment screen. Also the Hyundai App works easily and reliably.
I could go on.
So if you are offered DV23CDX at a good price, I advise that you do not buy it!
I spoke several times with Martin Seaton the MG Aftersales Director UK& EU, but he lost interest and offloaded me to Gary Smart, UK Customer Services Coordinator, but he just denied any responsibility for MG.
Incidentally, MG emails are forname.surname @ mg.co.uk
I really wanted the MG to work for me, but for like so many others on this forum it was a huge frustration and disappointment.
Good luck to you all.
Graham

@Deakin I can certainly sympathise with your frustration, although we haven't had the problems you have.
In defence of the MG, we are putting up with the software 'features'. It's a bit of a pain having a pre-flight checklist but we're not stopping and starting the car regularly so it's not too bad. We've also been involved with computers from the early days so I suppose we're just used to poorly written software (not that that's a good excuse). We've just had to balance the annoying features with the excellent handling and, relatively, cheap price.
There is however, no excuse for poor aftersales service and MG are going to have to improve once they lose their price advantage. I'm afraid however that, in my experience, they don't have a monopoly of poor dealerships.

Well, after a whole year of hassle, multiple software updates, 3 weeks in the dealership, a new infotainment screen, reloaded charging software and 2 very dangerous unprovoked emergency stops, the car is gone!
Buying the MG4 was a huge mistake. We sold it back to the dealer for a big loss, but a little above trade price. MG UK refused to take it back for a refund even though I put in writing (within 6months) that I would reject the car unless they could fix it.
It’s a good looking car, that drives well (most of the time), but there are just too many glitches in the electronics.
I have replaced it with a 10 month old Hyundai Kona EV for a very good price. Ok, the looks are a little bland, but it all works and is better thought through.
For example, I can now easily adjust the heating and AC without having to go into screen settings that don’t respond. No need to configure buttons on the steering wheel. Similarly with heated seats, changing driving mode or regenerative braking. There is also an OFF button so the car can be switched off without having to go into menus or getting out and locking the car.
Having to go into the infotainment screen while driving is just not safe.
Also having to disable safety features like emergency braking, to render the car safe to drive (as MG suggested) is just ridiculous.
On the Kona Apple CarPlay works every time (same phone and lead) without crashing the infotainment screen. Also the Hyundai App works easily and reliably.
I could go on.
So if you are offered DV23CDX at a good price, I advise that you do not buy it!
I spoke several times with Martin Seaton the MG Aftersales Director UK& EU, but he lost interest and offloaded me to Gary Smart, UK Customer Services Coordinator, but he just denied any responsibility for MG.
Incidentally, MG emails are forname.surname @ mg.co.uk
I really wanted the MG to work for me, but for like so many others on this forum it was a huge frustration and disappointment.
Good luck to you all.
Graham
Sorry to hear this.

Thanks for the heads up about this particular car though.

I think any marque can have a dodgy car, but it is very disappointing and concerning that MG didn't step up and deal with this better.

I get the odd glitch on mine but as an ex-demo I was reasonably confident that it would function - dealers wouldn't want to send people out in a dodgy car.

Reviews that reflect ownership experience are as rare as hens teeth!

I'm still loving mine. Despite expecting a range drop in hot weather, this year's heatwave (weeks at a time with daily temperatures of 37 - 41° C) has really driven the point home with the remaining range reading falling by up to 8okm the moment the aircon starts and it's showing 19kwh per 100km up from the average of 14 I've been seeing all year. Incidentally, the fan seems much noisier at the moment even at the same speeds as before - why should that be?
My dealer expects an XPower will be available for a test drive this month so I'm looking forward to having a go in it although the only car I'd consider changing to would be the BYD Seal Performance.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back