Got the dreaded - - - on the GOM today!

PaulC82

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
These colder temperatures really are a killler; got - - - on the estimated range remaining today for the first time. 6% state of charge remaining, but had two big hills to get up before I made it home. I was actually wondering if it would make it.

Anyone know if there is a buffer below 0%?

These colder temperatures really are a killler; got - - - on the estimated range remaining today for the first time. 6% state of charge remaining, but had two big hills to get up before I made it home. I was actually wondering if it would make it.

Anyone know if there is a buffer below 0%?
Don't expect much (any) of a bottom buffer - ours (2022 LR Trophy) died with 1% left...

Many people drive around with the fuel light on and it's not a problem 👌
The red light in the ice car is the same as the EV displaying the range in red (down at a low percentage) and telling you to recharge. However zero battery / zero range in the EV would be the same as my old car, not only having the fuel light red but also saying zero miles of driving available, in the part of the screen where it says how miles of driving you have left in the fuel available.

What I can't understand is we all know the mileage will go down in the cold weather so we charge more often to ensure we are not going into the red so why are we moaning about it. The same applies to an ice car and no one moans? rant over:):):)

What I can't understand is we all know the mileage will go down in the cold weather so we charge more often to ensure we are not going into the red so why are we moaning about it. The same applies to an ice car and no one moans? rant over:):):)
The only time it matters is it potentially creates the minor inconvenience of public changing

For those who can't charge at home, this isn't really a factor re the convenience, as they do it anyway.

Obviously there is a cost implication.ower range = more charges = more costs. If you are charging almost entirely or absolutely ebturekt at hone, the cost difference would be not that significant. If public charging, it may well add up (depending on what public charge points you use).

With modern day ICE cars they are equipped with the facility to see the actual mileage remaining in the tank, before the car actually runs out of fuel ⛽️ .
This combined with fuel gauge and a low level warning light, you have to wonder how people run out of fuel in the first place ?.
But it happens - Why ?.
Is it just me or what ?.
You have to refuel a ICE car sooner or later, so why wait ?.
I have been driving for over fifty years and never run out of petrol.
I can’t really think of a reason why this continues to happen when fuel stations are just about everywhere.
But it does, ask the recovery people 🙄.
With EV driving the risks are higher of course, given there is less places to publicly recharge of course.
If new to EV drivers like to treat running their cars low on energy, like they did with previous ICE cars, by disregarding the low level warnings messages, then you are likely to get caught out one day !.

I had a bad trip last week, only 60 miles there and 60 miles back but cold and misting up meant I had to use the heater now and then, also traffic jam meant I had to go faster than I would have liked. Consequently half way home at about 6pm I realised I had to go down to 50 mph and no heat or I wasn't going to make it. Got down to 5 miles GOM about a mile from home, then it went to ----. Still, I made it. However, it shows that with the Mk1 it is only possible to do a 60 mile return trip, and even that is dodgy....

I had a bad trip last week, only 60 miles there and 60 miles back but cold and misting up meant I had to use the heater now and then, also traffic jam meant I had to go faster than I would have liked. Consequently half way home at about 6pm I realised I had to go down to 50 mph and no heat or I wasn't going to make it. Got down to 5 miles GOM about a mile from home, then it went to ----. Still, I made it. However, it shows that with the Mk1 it is only possible to do a 60 mile return trip, and even that is dodgy....
That's a 120 mile return trip surely? 120 miles in a Mk1 with heating on is expected....

Well, of course I did not have the heating on all the time, but it is necessary to clear the windscreen now and again. I think the killer was that, due to a traffic jam early on in the trip, I had to go at 70mph most of the time to get to my appointment in time. I paid the price on the way back.....50mph with no heat with external temp of about 2 degrees is not fun.
The point I was making is that 60 mile 2 way trip is the absolute max at this time of year.
(Next time I'll take the XK8!)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom