Gov Grant

I’m pretty sure that MG along with some other manufacturers will be offering better discounts soon. Demand will drop triggering more dealer incentives.

Maybe affinity will be offered sooner than expected.

So, just to reiterate the prices.
Was:
View attachment 5982

So now the SE customer price becomes £29,495 (£1,000 more)
The Trophy customer price becomes £33,495 (£2,500 more)
The Trophy connect customer price becomes £33,995 (£2,500 more)

(edit)
Assuming (big assumption) they drop the prices to 32k max to get the grant....
Trophy connect becomes £30,500 (£32k-1500) to the customer, that's £1K less than it was.
Thophy has to be kept £500 less? let's say £300 as the minimum difference, becomes £30,200 (31,700-1500) to the customer, that's £800 less than it was.
SE has to be at least 1.5k less surely, so becomes £28,700 (30,200-1500) to the customer, that's £200 more than it was.
What do you all think???
More likely there will be only the SE model at £31k and you have optional extras for the parts that you can upgrade to trophy and connect versions. Look at the pricing on the i3 etc, the base vehicle qualifies, but not many buy the base vehicle, they buy it with the extras.

What next? Maybe road tax on EVs or cutting the grant for home installation of a charging unit immediately and not at the end of March.
The grant was announced some time ago as being able to be changed (even withdrawn) without warning at any point when they thought the money allocated was running out. They are doing exactly what they suggested would happen so I don't see that it affects anything else. Dealers knew it might happen and although it wasn't a massive factor in our decision to buy in October, we knew then it could go at any time.

It makes a difference to me. I ordered MG partly because it was massively cheaper than the only other car under consideration (model 3). That gap now closes, so if the dealer can't honour the deal I will likely keep my leaf for another few more months and get a Tesla towards the end of my pcp.

It makes a difference to me. I ordered MG partly because it was massively cheaper than the only other car under consideration (model 3). That gap now closes, so if the dealer can't honour the deal I will likely keep my leaf for another few more months and get a Tesla towards the end of my pcp.
If you have ordered and paid a deposit then it should all be in the system already and secured. There is a database the dealers have to use and it is logged on order not on delivery. This allows the government to stop the offer knowing what they have committed too

If you have ordered and paid a deposit then it should all be in the system already and secured. There is a database the dealers have to use and it is logged on order not on delivery. This allows the government to stop the offer knowing what they have committed too
I have the original zs ev, cannot fault it. Was going to upgrade to the trophy but gonna stick with this one. Laughable really that the 'budget' Zs ev is too pricey for a Govt grant, hopefully more Chinese companies will sell in the UK, BYD being one of them, cheaper options may lead to a fall in prices from other makes

The original ZS exclusive had a list price over £30k. Many customers purchased a car for less than £21k (not special deals they were advertised on Autotrader) - yes that also included the then grant, but it shows what large margins are available to dealers to build in discounts if they are pushed to do so.

I ordered MG partly because it was massively cheaper than the only other car under consideration (model 3). That gap now closes,

Tesla have put the price of the M3 up twice this Autumn, each time by £1k.

Given the current market, I'm on the fence as to whether I regret cancelling my Tesla order back in August. But then I just remind myself why I cancelled, and feel much better.

The original ZS exclusive had a list price over £30k. Many customers purchased a car for less than £21k (not special deals they were advertised on Autotrader) - yes that also included the then grant, but it shows what large margins are available to dealers to build in discounts if they are pushed to do so.
I agree, I purchased mine for just under £22000, on my invoice the price the dealer paid was under £19000, so surely there is plenty of scope for MG to lower prices, if sales slow down, which I expect they will.

I forsee the SE becoming more popular as it now represents better VFM than it did due to the bigger difference in price to the Trophy models without the grant.
Unless some bigger discounts come along I think I'll be going for the SE now.

FWIW, I think that MG may be still doing a manufacturer deposit contribution of £1500 on PCPs.

MG will end up as a footnote in the EV story if things keep going up for them. Agree with the point about the TM3, albeit things there have gone up too but in part due to feature improvements.

We've just binned out of an order for a new ZSEV Trophy because of the price increase - it doesn't feel like great value without the grant (not sure any EV could be classed as great value at the moment, except to the environment which is always a good benefit)

That’s a shame. I’m sure that there will be better dealer discounts next Year. It all depends on sales figures…

We've just binned out of an order for a new ZSEV Trophy because of the price increase - it doesn't feel like great value without the grant (not sure any EV could be classed as great value at the moment, except to the environment which is always a good benefit)
If you ordered before they lowered the grant, surely your order should still stand at the old price ?

If you ordered before they lowered the grant, surely your order should still stand at the old price ?
Miles covered this in last nights pod cast.
If your dealer had taken a deposit and then applied for the grant straight away, before the PICG grant reduction, then you will be okay.
If the dealer failed to apply for the grant before the reduction, you could be in trouble.
Chorley applied for the grant usually within 24 hours of taking customers deposits.
Chorley customers who ordered before the grant reduction date, have been assured that they their cars are NOT subject to the reduction.
Also, the same customers will not be subject to the likely price increase due in Jan 2022.

Miles covered this in last nights pod cast.
If your dealer had taken a deposit and then applied for the grant straight away, before the PICG grant reduction, then you will be okay.
If the dealer failed to apply for the grant before the reduction, you could be in trouble.
Chorley applied for the grant usually within 24 hours of taking customers deposits.
Chorley customers who ordered before the grant reduction date, have been assured that they their cars are NOT subject to the reduction.
Also, the same customers will not be subject to the likely price increase due in Jan 2022.
Ah, sadly we hadn't ☹️ We did the test drive a week ago on Saturday and then deliberated until last Friday, by which time the damage to the price was done! We'll wait and see what happens to the price now. Still got the original ZSEV so all is not lost!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom