Granny cable stopped after half an hour

StuartT

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I almost never use my granny cable, but today I plugged in at a friend's house. It started off fine (though at the expected pathetic 2kW). But when I can back to it, it had stopped charging. Has anyone else had this? Could it have been dew formation causing a safety cut out or something?

I almost never use my granny cable, but today I plugged in at a friend's house. It started off fine (though at the expected pathetic 2kW). But when I can back to it, it had stopped charging. Has anyone else had this? Could it have been dew formation causing a safety cut out or something?
If it is dew you could have dried it up an restart. Did you try it?

Dew is a possibility. Plus do you know the quality of the socket you were plugged in to?

Does your car charge OK on a standard 7kW charge point? (Just wondering if you're seeing the start of the AC charging issue several other LR owners are facing. Does your car have the 3-phase onboard charger?)

Mine aborts the AC charge if I unlock the car after leaving it charging and locked. For example I forgot to take a bag out of the rear footwell so 10 minutes after starting a home charge I unlocked the car and the screen said charge aborted. I got it going agaiin after a few attempts and different methods but it has always aborted every time I unlock my car while the car is charging on AC. I think last night it just restarted charging again after I locked the car again.

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but what charge level was the car set to?

In my experience, granny charging will stop if doors opened (but not boot) but will start again automatically if the car has not reached its set charge level.

Hi, did you have any schedules set in the car or on the spp?
no.
If it is dew you could have dried it up an restart. Did you try it?
I didn't as it was late in the evening, but it seems to be working ok today.
Were you using an extension lead
yes
Dew is a possibility. Plus do you know the quality of the socket you were plugged in to?

Does your car charge OK on a standard 7kW charge point? (Just wondering if you're seeing the start of the AC charging issue several other LR owners are facing. Does your car have the 3-phase onboard charger?)
Yes, my car charges fine on all chargers I've used.
Mine aborts the AC charge if I unlock the car after leaving it charging and locked. For example I forgot to take a bag out of the rear footwell so 10 minutes after starting a home charge I unlocked the car and the screen said charge aborted. I got it going agaiin after a few attempts and different methods but it has always aborted every time I unlock my car while the car is charging on AC. I think last night it just restarted charging again after I locked the car again.
Aha! That's it then. I did have to get something out of the boot. What a weird feature though! Why abort simply because you open the car?
Yes I also had the charging stop when opening one of the rear doors.
right. I'm sure that it then
Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but what charge level was the car set to?

In my experience, granny charging will stop if doors opened (but not boot) but will start again automatically if the car has not reached its set charge level.
The car was set to long distance (100%) so it wouldn't be that.

Thanks everyone

My SR does that too. Someone said in another thread that if you leave it, it will restart by itself. But I've never tried that, as it's easier just to re-start the charge while you're there anyway. I just unlocked the car again, unplugged the granny lead, waited about 30 seconds, then plugged it in again. It started the charge again and I was able to relock the car.

In the EV6 there where settings you could change i.e. stop charging on unlock. I have not checked but does the MG4 have similar in the menus?

My MG4 restarts charging automatically if interrupted by unlocking if it’s left plugged in without having to relock.

What a weird feature though! Why abort simply because you open the car?

This is the proper way of stopping the changing process and UnLocking the plug. And, as other members state, the charging will resume 10...30 seconds after interruption.

Strangely, this doesn't happen on rapid chargers, just with slow/granny. Is this by design or another MG quirk?
ah! So this is why I never noticed it before. I've only ever really used rapid chargers.

So I wonder why they feel it necessary to make this happen only with a granny charger?

Because unlocking the car starts internal systems and adds a minimum of 300W (0.3kW) draw from the battery (more if AC fires up), so significantly impacts the draw from a low power AC supply? 🤷‍♂️

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back