Granny cable stopped after half an hour

I almost never use my granny cable, but today I plugged in at a friend's house. It started off fine (though at the expected pathetic 2kW). But when I can back to it, it had stopped charging. Has anyone else had this? Could it have been dew formation causing a safety cut out or something?
Mine failed in 1st year. MG said not covered by warranty.

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but what charge level was the car set to?

In my experience, granny charging will stop if doors opened (but not boot) but will start again automatically if the car has not reached its set charge level.
Yes, I've found that if you open the boot without unlocking the rest of the car, the charge will continue. I sometimes use destination chargers that have a minimum fee so it's handy being able to get something out of the boot without stopping the charge, just in case interrupting and restarting the charge by unlocking then locking would cause the session to be treated as two separate charges (although I should try that one day just to find out! I hate minimum fees..).

Yes, I've found that if you open the boot without unlocking the rest of the car, the charge will continue. I sometimes use destination chargers that have a minimum fee so it's handy being able to get something out of the boot without stopping the charge, just in case interrupting and restarting the charge by unlocking then locking would cause the session to be treated as two separate charges (although I should try that one day just to find out! I hate minimum fees..).
MG need to work out how to put an interlock on the charging connector.

They tell me that charge port un locks when you unlock the car because it stop people driving off with the cable attached. Stupid logic - then connector is still in the hole!

I fell foul of minimum fees on an AC charger. After about an hour I went back to my car for something opened the door and charging stopped, I thought it just suspended it and it would re start but no. I refused to pay another £5.00 min fee so I didn't re start it.

I charged my MG4 with the granny lead several times while on holiday. No problems. I had to buy an extension lead to use the granny lead, and purchased a "Garden extension lead with weatherproof socket" from a well known DIY store. Only to find that it says on the back of the label "Do not use in wet conditions"!

I charged my MG4 with the granny lead several times while on holiday. No problems. I had to buy an extension lead to use the granny lead, and purchased a "Garden extension lead with weatherproof socket" from a well known DIY store. Only to find that it says on the back of the label "Do not use in wet conditions"!
I went to an electrical wholesalers a couple of years ago and told them exactly what I wanted the extension lead for and took my granny charger and showed it to them, they made up my lead and I use it when I go away on holidays and it has been fine in all weathers. I previously had an old extension lead and the 3 pin plug got very hot (worryingly hot) so now with this lead it barely gets warm.

I bought one online which was advertised as being made for EV granny charging. I haven't used it yet, as there have been chargers close to both friends houses I have stayed in since getting the car!

I fell foul of minimum fees on an AC charger. After about an hour I went back to my car for something opened the door and charging stopped, I thought it just suspended it and it would re start but no. I refused to pay another £5.00 min fee so I didn't re start it.
Thanks. That's what I was worried about. I'll maybe try next time I'm on an AC charger and have got beyond the minimum fee, just in case the chargers I use behave differently. But I expect it will be as you found!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back