Granny charger extension lead.

We are going on a road trip, (Whitby from kent). A couple of places we are staying in, I'm planning to granny charge and a extension lead might be needed. I'm no expert and I don't want it to melt!

I occasionally use a 45M extension cable to charge with no issues whatsoever, just remember not to leave any spare cable coiled.
PS the one you are looking at is much cheaper at Screwfix if you have one local :)

I occasionally use a 45M extension cable to charge with no issues whatsoever, just remember not to leave any spare cable coiled.
PS the one you are looking at is much cheaper at Screwfix if you have one local :)
The one from Wickes is weather proof, hence the higher price

Just make sure you fully unwind it as you are pushing it to its maximum.
Not so long ago I was using a power tool, was on for about an hour solid, had only unwound the extension cable by a few metres...... it tripped the protection on the extension lead and when I touched the cable it was so hot I couldn't hold it, the cable was so flexible when it was hot it was amazing lol.
Don't do it lol!!!!

I think this type of extension lead is designed for powering the likes of electric power tools, lawn mowers / strimers for about a hour or so.
I don’t think they where every intended for use on a “Granny” unit pulling a constant higher load over a long time frame.
The temptation is to only unwind enough cable to reach the socket outlet and plug in the lead.
I would never recommend doing this !.
I do not object to the occasional us of an extension cable when there is no other option of course, but I believe there use should be limited.
I have made my own extension cable and have only used it on a couple of occasions when there has been no other means of grabbing a quick “top up” and only for a couple of hours.
The flex on my home made extension lead is rated at 2.5mm and maybe seen as “over the top”.
It is about 25 feet in length and has a single water proof IP 65 socket outlet one end and the best quality three pin plug I could find on the other end.
After charging for about two hours, the top of the three pin plug gets “warm” to the touch, but not not.
The cable and outside socket outlet displays NO sign of heat of course.
The cable carrying capacity can NOT be to large, it can only ever be to small !.
I see the use of an extension cables as a last resort really.

I think this type of extension lead is designed for powering the likes of electric power tools, lawn mowers / strimers for about a hour or so.
I don’t think they where every intended for use on a “Granny” unit pulling a constant higher load over a long time frame.
The temptation is to only unwind enough cable to reach the socket outlet and plug in the lead.
I would never recommend doing this !.
I do not object to the occasional us of an extension cable when there is no other option of course, but I believe there use should be limited.
I have made my own extension cable and have only used it on a couple of occasions when there has been no other means of grabbing a quick “top up” and only for a couple of hours.
The flex on my home made extension lead is rated at 2.5mm and maybe seen as “over the top”.
It is about 25 feet in length and has a single water proof IP 65 socket outlet one end and the best quality three pin plug I could find on the other end.
After charging for about two hours, the top of the three pin plug gets “warm” to the touch, but not not.
The cable and outside socket outlet displays NO sign of heat of course.
The cable carrying capacity can NOT be to large, it can only ever be to small !.
I see the use of an extension cables as a last resort really.
Interesting. We discussed elsewhere the using of the 7kw home charger cable when partially wound - slightly off-topic I know. Wallbox manufacturers don’t seem too concerned about this with the 32a chargers - I wonder why?

Interesting. We discussed elsewhere the using of the 7kw home charger cable when partially wound - slightly off-topic I know. Wallbox manufacturers don’t seem too concerned about this with the 32a chargers - I wonder why?
Overkill on the size of the cable perhaps ?

Yes - I thought that. Isn’t it the fact that it’s coiled that creates an electro-magnetic force that can cause heating?

I would make sure the specs for the cable are listed and it's a 13A continuous rated extension (when fully unwound), not a 13A max one.
The Granny draws 10A IIRC.

Yes - I thought that. Isn’t it the fact that it’s coiled that creates an electro-magnetic force that can cause heating?
The heating of the wire is mainly caused by the resistance, a bigger wire would have less resistance so less heat.

Oh ok. So getting hot has nothing to do with being coiled up?

Oh ok. So getting hot has nothing to do with being coiled up?
Coiling it up does add to the heating because the wires are closer together, no air circulation between them. Time also adds to the effect, the longer the wire is left coiled the hotter it gets, due to the lack of air circulation.

Overkill on the size of the cable perhaps ?
Yeah - I think you are bang on with that assessment !.
I recently replaced my original standard length 5 year old tethered cable on my wall box about two months ago.
The black outer casing had developed a few twists and lumps and bumps over the five years.
The last two coils closest to the wall box are never used and where like brand new.
It was only the first two coils that had twists etc.
I replaced it with the longer length cable that would reach any EV regardless of the location of the charging port.
I think it was only another £25 for the longer length cable from memory.
Bit of future proofing maybe ????.
I decided to cut open the OLD cable to see how badly the inner conductors had been damaged by the lumps and bumps in the outer protective sleeve.
The main individual core high load cables look extremely heavy in there carrying capacity, at a guess they look very close to the 6mm T&E inner conductors.
Interesting to note that each of the inner copper conductors are made up of hundreds of very thin stands of wire.
Of course, I expected the cores to be of the multi strand type, but these are extremely thin and in huge numbers.
You can understand the use of wire ferrules being used to make off this type of flex.
The use of high strand multi core conductors to there to help keep the cable some what flexible.
The two signal wires are the complete opposite, very small in cross section of course due to there low load requirements.
Once the otter sleeving had been cut away, in a couple of places, the inner cores had become badly twisted.
At one small section, two of the inner conductors where almost twisted back on themselves.
I will try and upload a couple of images of the cable I removed ( less the damage bits ) and place a small section of 6mm T&E along side so you can see the comparison.

F1A3D2F6-E409-46B2-9CED-11E732A2015C.jpeg

Thanks. As it might be out during interesting weather, I went with the weatherproof option.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom