Granny charger stops charging after 2 seconds

Ial

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello, just got my second hand 22 ZS EV Trophy LR yesterday and it's driving me crazy. Love the car but first EV, so not got a home charger.

Yesterday I tried charging with the granny charger at home at 30%. It locks in place, blue lights go to green and fill up once, twice, then back to blue. This repeats maybe 3 times and then the granny charger box clicks and goes from power on and charging on to power on charging blinks. The key indicates this means connected. The car display shows a ! On the cable.

We charged at a rapid charger to get enough to get to work today to approx 65 and then the granny charger worked fine at home to 80, with none of these issues. Today back down to 30%, trying again and having the same issues. I've had a really good look and can't see a solution. No power line. Tried multiple plugs and without extensions. Limit set to 80%. Starting through the app it says charging and then on a refresh it says "not charging other reason". I haven't been able to try other cables yet, though it confuses me that it worked last night but not tonight. Connection looks fine. I've even tried disconnecting the 12v negative for five mins (at 1am and freezing so not longer)

I'm utterly lost and out of ideas. Can anyone help before I return the car?

Have you locked the car once you've plugged it in? If you lock the car then the cable itself locks in place as a safety feature and if you don't then it cuts the charge.

Alternatively, are you sure there's no charging schedule set on the car itself (or via the previous owners app which is still connected)? They may have set it to charge between 11pm and 4am say during off peak rates. That would prevent a charge initiating, although it might show for the first second or two when you plug in.

Have you locked the car once you've plugged it in? If you lock the car then the cable itself locks in place as a safety feature and if you don't then it cuts the charge.

Alternatively, are you sure there's no charging schedule set on the car itself (or via the previous owners app which is still connected)? They may have set it to charge between 11pm and 4am say during off peak rates. That would prevent a charge initiating, although it might show for the first second or two when you plug in.
Hello thank you for replying - yes have tried locked and no scheduling issues (weirdly worked fine yesterday and then nothing tonight).

The box of tricks with the lights on is there to protect the car, you and the house electrics from going up in smoke or some other such disaster. Have you tried the granny charger on another socket or even better at another house? It could be detecting a fault in the socket or a bad earth etc.

The strange thing is the box doesn't ever kick off any error codes. I just get two seconds of green on the car, 3 times over, then the box clicks and the charging light goes from solid green to flashing indicating "connected" but not charging. This is on my garage plug, outdoor plug and utility room plug with or without extension cable.
Further experimenting today - I had the same issue and same in car error at a public 7 kw charger, but then it worked fine and charged well on a friend's home 7 kw charger. 50 kw fast charge at a pod point worked well and now I'm home it's back to not working.

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-10 at 12.33.43_f969e471.jpg

This is what I see when it fails both at home and on the public 7 kw charger.

Friend suggested, as I've only had the granny charger work when at ~65% battery, perhaps it's trying to draw too much at lower percentages and shutting down? Does that make sense? Or am I looking at a broken granny charger?

Solution seems to me to be a 7 kw home charger which was the long term plan, though it's a harder sell on the wife now!

Has your friend got a granny charger you could try. Test by substitution will tell you if it's the EVSE or the car.

Great idea thanks, he doesn't but I've put a post out on the local community to see if I can borrow one for a few hours.
I see you are in Exeter and there are other forum members in Exeter. Maybe someone on this forum could help out.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom