Granny Charging

The car end is the same as all other cables and I imagine would be classed as waterproof.

But the other end is just a regular 13A plug so no, it isn't. You'd be able to plug it into a proper weather proof socket though, if you have one.
Yes I know the type 2 connector is waterproof and the 3pin plug isn’t, but what about the charging unit box in the middle of the cable?

Yes I know the type 2 connector is waterproof and the 3pin plug isn’t, but what about the charging unit box in the middle of the cable?
Mine's not in the middle of the cable, it's about a foot (30 cm for youngsters) from the 3 pin plug so always indoors.

Each model could be different but at least IP66 which makes it shower proof.

Incidentally you should find even the lead to the 13A plug is heavier than any normal 13A cable. There are additional conductors in the cable and the plug has a temperature sensor in it. If the plug starts to overheat the charger will shut down.

Mine's not in the middle of the cable, it's about a foot (30 cm for youngsters) from the 3 pin plug so always indoors.
Yes mine is closer to the 3 pin plug like that, but as the cable is only 3m long chances are I will need an extension cable when charging away from home and then the box will be outside. If it’s not waterproof then it will need to be in a dribox or something, the 3 pin plug will be in the waterproof cover of the extension lead

How long is the provided granny cable?! 3m?! I'm luck in that I've got a driveway that my garage opens onto and the rolling door allows me to plug the grant in just inside it, but if the cable is only 3m long is gonna be a struggle to get down under the door and out to the charging port on the car!!

How long is the provided granny cable?! 3m?! I'm luck in that I've got a driveway that my garage opens onto and the rolling door allows me to plug the grant in just inside it, but if the cable is only 3m long is gonna be a struggle to get down under the door and out to the charging port on the car!!
Yes the granny cable that comes with the car is only 3m long 😢

I can recommend these guys if you want to extend the original cable, it's cheaper than buying a new granny although Screwfix do a 10m one for about £120.

The charger is waterproof but not submersible so it needs to be kept out of puddles.

As a note to anyone, A-boards cannot be deemed Street Furniture and they are not usually weighed down in position or likely to cause injury like a temporary road sign might. If someone trips on them it is their own fault for not paying attention in the wide majority of occasions. A-boards are bright and lightweight! If the disabled and blind can navigate them then any imbecile should be able.
Obviously an A-board that simply says 'Cleaning in progress', or 'trip hazard - beware' is not a problem but A-boards if advertising and causing an obstruction and is covered by your local planning department.
This may vary by area but in Leeds this is the situation and I know that action is is taken.

A-boards
We can only deal with A-boards that have been placed on the public highway. If you come across an A-board that is on the highway and is causing an obstruction, approach the business and ask them to remove it. If they persist in causing an obstruction with the board you can report it to us using the Report illegal advertising form.

We will investigate and where appropriate we may take action against the business by serving a legal notice requiring them to remove it. If they fail to do this we will remove the board and recover the costs from the owner.

The problem with using an extension is finding one that is as well made as the granny charger.

As I said the GC plug has a temperature monitor, the extension lead will not and the greatest heat buildup will occur at the worst contact.

I've been using one of these without any issue, and it doesn't get warm.
But I always spray the pins of the mains plugs (extension and granny) with this
It tends to be dirty contacts causing resistance that get warm!

The problem with using an extension is finding one that is as well made as the granny charger.

As I said the GC plug has a temperature monitor, the extension lead will not and the greatest heat buildup will occur at the worst contact.
Use these guys, their leads and solutions are top notch...

I use my 16A caravan lead when I have to park too far away from the Wallbox but finding a quality 13A extension socket was quite difficult even from some respected brands.

Could you not put in a dedicated 16A commando socket if that's what is on your caravan lead?

Can you buy aftermarket 3 pin plugs with temperature sensing built in ?

Sorry I got the wrong eñd of the lead.
I use a basic commando and socket when camping but made up a new one on a pole and waterproof 13A socket.

Attachments

• 20220118_194605.jpg
    20220118_194605.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 20220118_194628.jpg
    20220118_194628.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 97
The problem with most trailing sockets is they depend on the copper alloy conductor acting as the spring gripping the plug pin which the cheaper material is not very good at. Add in the heat and the pressure will reduce on the contacts only making things worse.

I have seen this quite a lot with C13 (kettle lead) line sockets (incorrectly referred to as plugs) used on IT equipment where the spring clamp for the pins gets weak causing loss of power or arcing.

I've been using one of these without any issue, and it doesn't get warm.
But I always spray the pins of the mains plugs (extension and granny) with this
It tends to be dirty contacts causing resistance that get warm!
Yep, I second the Wickes extension leads. I have a similar one from them 13amp waterproof lead, and it works fine.
Many others on the ZS forum have these as well, it is an often discussed topic.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom