GUTTED !!!!

Do the Police get involved given how careless the other driver was ? He could have killed someone due to his negligence.
Yes, the management at the toll bridge called the police, and emergency services sent 6 ambulances to the scene.

He and his wife in the car, my wife and 2 kids in our and 3 adults and an infant in the car ours was pushed into.

Police report taken, the toll booth operators have camera's "everywhere" and the police that took down my wifes statement, said they had reveived the footage and that he was 100% at fault for what happened.

That is the same logical conclusion i come to, after having pulled the footage from my Dashcam.

When my wife arrived at the toll booth she spotted him, driving insecurely and a bit erratic, going back and forth in the toll booth lane, she was so concerned of his driving that she decided to not pull up right behind him, but stayed back 10-20 meters because she was afraid he might hit our car.

In hindsight she should have pulled up right behind him, this way his car would not have been able to accelerate as much as it did, but on the other hand, keeping a "safe" distance to what was viewed as a potential unsafe situation is not a bad idea and i certainly do not fault her for doing so, i think she was concerned that he might "bump" our car.

I have no idea what is going to happen, police wise, and in relation to his car / drivers license / punishment law wise, but even though he was clearly not intending to do this, and i believe it was an accident, i still think they should atleast give him a fine for dangerous driving, and either take away his license for a period, or atleast force him to do mandatory driving training, and a new set of tests.

Even though it was an accident, he was pretty negligent, for partially exiting his car to press a button, with nothing more than a foot on the brake to hold his car stationary. (His foot then slipped and he hit the accelerator instead) and in the 2-3 seconds it took from him hitting the accelerator to him hitting our car, nothing indicates he moved the foot over to the brake, i saw NO brake lights or any kind of slowing down, until he plowed into our car, his foot was probably still on the accelerator the monent he hit our car.

It must have been so awful for your family to be sitting in the car and witnessing the Mustang driver reversing into them at speed. The amount of damage to the cars indicates that.
I hope you are able to get a new car as soon as possible, and I hope the Mustang driver gets the punishment he deserves.

It must have been so awful for your family to be sitting in the car and witnessing the Mustang driver reversing into them at speed. The amount of damage to the cars indicates that.
I hope you are able to get a new car as soon as possible, and I hope the Mustang driver gets the punishment he deserves.
Yeah it was not fun for them i am sure.

My wife says she only managed to say to the kids "Hold on, this is going to end badly" before he slammed into them.

Just did a bit of facebook stalking, it seems he have had the car for longer, the reason i thought he just got it, was because it had just been registered 2 months prior, but looking at the complete history and a bit of facebook stalking, it seems he only has it registered in the summer, and stored in winter. Got the car back in 2019, but had another mustang before that, also has 2 other cars, a boat, and before he got the Mustang he was into motorcycling.

Removing the plates, and cancelling the insurance in winter is good business for him, as he saves quite a lot, as the road tax for a car that only does 7 kpl is not cheap, and insuring a 5 Liter V8 with 415 horsepower is not cheap either (And it will probably be A LOT more expensive to insure a car like that, going forward) From my calculations he will save well over £1000 by having it stored and uninsured in the winter.

Just checked a used car sales site in Denmark, and the exact same model, with the 5.0 engine, and as a cabriolet will set you back £73.000, add the £36.500 we paid for our ZS EV, and add a new bumper and whatnot to the car behind, plus all of the associated costs, and processing by different insurance companies, and he will have caused damages well in excess of £120.000 for his insurance company.

I bet they are NOT going to be happy. :)

But he and his wife is apparantly okay, he smashed up our car and put my wife in hospital on friday, and saturday he posted pictures of him and his wife on a nice boating trip with them eating nice food at a restaurant, like nothing had happened.

He is a recently retired banker, boasts he was a banker for 48 years, and he also happily posts on facebook when the police sends him pictures from a camera van, when he is speeding.

ABSOLUTE tosser, that clearly has no remorse over what he is doing.

Last edited:
Banker is it. Another word springs to my mind.

On the 'bright' side, at least there's plenty of evidence as to who is at fault - hopefully that means the claim can be closed relatively swiftly. Your ZS isn't even 6 months old, so would expect you'd get close to market value for it - what you paid shouldn't matter...?

Also for the wife, don't hesitate to mention to the insurers any pain suffered even if minor. Lingering issues may take time to set right, and treatment such physio sessions can end up being costly if needed.

Banker is it. Another word springs to my mind.

On the 'bright' side, at least there's plenty of evidence as to who is at fault - hopefully that means the claim can be closed relatively swiftly. Your ZS isn't even 6 months old, so would expect you'd get close to market value for it - what you paid shouldn't matter...?

Also for the wife, don't hesitate to mention to the insurers any pain suffered even if minor. Lingering issues may take time to set right, and treatment such physio sessions can end up being costly if needed.
They are going to get every little thing.

My daughter has had to miss her work and the lost income from that, is also going on the sheets when we give them an estimate of what this will cost us.

And yes a banker so probably wealthy, but he clearly bought a car, that he have no skills to handle.

market value, is that what i would expect to be able to sell it for right now, because i would imagine with a 1 year leadtime for a new one, i would be able to sell it for more, than a new one cost right now :)

We are probably also going to need some psychology sessions for our daughter, and the seatbelt pretentioner also made her shoulder very sore, so maybe we need some physical therapist as well.

On a technological sidenote, it seems the MG ZS EV have seatbelt pretentioners on the front seats and both outer rear seats, as all 4 seatbelts were firmly locked up. The centre one was not locked up at all, and one of the rear passenger seats were not occupied and the seatbelt was locked up anyway, so it's not due to nobody sitting in that seat, that it did not lock up.

Accident or not, in the UK, the banker (insert W where appropriate) would be charged with either; driving without due care or attention, or the more serious charge of dangerous driving. I am glad that your family came out of the incident relatively uninjured and that there is plenty of video coverage. This banker (insert W where appropriate) obviously thinks that money will take care of everything and to hell with everyone else.

Yes, the management at the toll bridge called the police, and emergency services sent 6 ambulances to the scene.

He and his wife in the car, my wife and 2 kids in our and 3 adults and an infant in the car ours was pushed into.

Police report taken, the toll booth operators have camera's "everywhere" and the police that took down my wifes statement, said they had reveived the footage and that he was 100% at fault for what happened.

That is the same logical conclusion i come to, after having pulled the footage from my Dashcam.

When my wife arrived at the toll booth she spotted him, driving insecurely and a bit erratic, going back and forth in the toll booth lane, she was so concerned of his driving that she decided to not pull up right behind him, but stayed back 10-20 meters because she was afraid he might hit our car.

In hindsight she should have pulled up right behind him, this way his car would not have been able to accelerate as much as it did, but on the other hand, keeping a "safe" distance to what was viewed as a potential unsafe situation is not a bad idea and i certainly do not fault her for doing so, i think she was concerned that he might "bump" our car.

I have no idea what is going to happen, police wise, and in relation to his car / drivers license / punishment law wise, but even though he was clearly not intending to do this, and i believe it was an accident, i still think they should atleast give him a fine for dangerous driving, and either take away his license for a period, or atleast force him to do mandatory driving training, and a new set of tests.

Even though it was an accident, he was pretty negligent, for partially exiting his car to press a button, with nothing more than a foot on the brake to hold his car stationary. (His foot then slipped and he hit the accelerator instead) and in the 2-3 seconds it took from him hitting the accelerator to him hitting our car, nothing indicates he moved the foot over to the brake, i saw NO brake lights or any kind of slowing down, until he plowed into our car, his foot was probably still on the accelerator the monent he hit our car.
Not defending the "small" man, but his natural reaction, thinking his foot was still on the brake, would be to press harder to "stop" the movement he was starting to be aware of... then those few seconds would be easily lost in his brain trying to work out what was happening & how & what to do about it..

I'm not sure how insurance works in your country, but I would insist on micro-penis's insurance providing a courtesy car of your choice until you can get a new car (maybe a Lucid Air? :)).
Doesnt normally work that way unfortunately, the hire car normally ceases after they pay out, you get maybe a week or 2 at best.

Talked to my own insurance company today, they had done 2 things.

1. Contacted a professional that is going to go look at the car and decide if it is a writeoff or they want to try and fix it.

2. Contacted the other party's insurance to get them to indicate whether or not he agrees that he was in an accident, and that the accident was his fault.

#1 should be looking at the car today or tomorrow, but they it might take a wee longer with #2

I was told, that if #1 says it is a writeoff, and #2 says that he agrees that there was an accident that he was responsible for, the guy in #1 would look at how much my car was worth in today's market and then tell me how much they would be willing to pay me, and when i accepted the offer, the money would be in my account pretty soon.

As for all of the rest of the claims, money for petrol, toll bridge, hotel and whatnot, i would myself have to negotiate that with the other party's insurance company.

I am going to lay into them hard, They will have to pay for these expenses, and i am also going to ask them to provide me with a rental car for the period until the new car arrives. My own insurance company's guy told me that they will not want to do that, but i am then going to get "as much money" as i can out of them, to try and offset my costs.

I think the decision is made, to buy another car, and sell our current one, and when we get the ZS EV, we will keep this car as out second car, if we feel we can not live without it.

If his insurance company refuses to pay anything, i am going to ask them to send me a written response, indicating that they will not, and then i will contact a newspaper that likes to be hard on immoral companies. I bet they would love to hang the insurance company out to dry, while also featuring the insurance company's costumer, with the dashcam video :)

As for all of the rest of the claims, money for petrol, toll bridge, hotel and whatnot, i would myself have to negotiate that with the other party's insurance company.

I am going to lay into them hard, They will have to pay for these expenses, and i am also going to ask them to provide me with a rental car for the period until the new car arrives. My own insurance company's guy told me that they will not want to do that, but i am then going to get "as much money" as i can out of them, to try and offset my costs.

It is highly unlikely they will refund any of these costs as you would incur them anyway. it is claims like this which puts up insurance for everone else buy hey, so long as you make money then its okay…….

making false or exaggerated claims is insurance fraud

@ZTT

I am surprised you wrote that, to be honest! How would the family have incurred those costs if they hadn’t had their car written off/had to get home somehow/been unable to work through injury etc etc?

If someone smashed into your family, causing injuries and writing off your car, would you just say ‘oh well, never mind - I can just use a bike until I get my car replaced’?

I don’t believe the OP said they were going to claim anything they were not entitled to, just to be sure to claim what they WERE entitled to.

@ZTT

I am surprised you wrote that, to be honest! How would the family have incurred those costs if they hadn’t had their car written off/had to get home somehow/been unable to work through injury etc etc?

If someone smashed into your family, causing injuries and writing off your car, would you just say ‘oh well, never mind - I can just use a bike until I get my car replaced’?

I don’t believe the OP said they were going to claim anything they were not entitled to, just to be sure to claim what they WERE entitled to.
I was also surprised, and it didn't come across as OP's posts being properly read. Asking for reasonable coverage of costs incurred as a result of someone else's poor judgement is fair. That is what insurance is for.

Let's not forget this family would have been on their merry way home had it not been for the other driver's negligence. None of this would even be a question had he used an ounce of common sense...instead he acted like a prize clown, and hurt people in the process.

Many years ago, a drunk driver drove into the back of my parked car and wrote it off. It was just before we were getting married, so I contacted the owner of the 3rd party car and told them that I would be hiring a car and that I would send them the bill. When they refused to pay, I took out a small claims court summonds, which they ignored. Bad move on their part because if you ignore a summonds to the small claims court, after 2 weeks they send the baliffs around to collect the money owed. I got the full amount plus expenses.

I wonder if there is a similar system in the Netherlands?

Car insurance fraud adds £60 a year to everyones insurance premium In the UK. Fraud is illegal and the insurance industry spend millions of pounds a year identifying it.

As bad as the accident was, it was just that, an accident. This is very different to someone over the alcohol limit or driving under the influence of drugs. If the OP is only looking for “Reasonable coverage of costs”, do any of the following statements seem reasonable,

They are going to get every little thing
I am going to lay into them hard
but i am then going to get "as much money" as i can out of them

Why does a wealthy person driving a nice car automatically become a bad person. I thought this was a sensible forum but the following comments are shameless, they are not said in jest…..

The Guy was your typical mid 60s bald and probably with a malfunctioning penis, and the car had to make up for that.
He was at the hospital as well, his wife in the passenger seat got quite the beating as well from the impact. Wife knows me well enough that she refused to tell me who in the Waiting room it was, she knows i was liable to put him in hospital for real as well
Bloody idiot vanity Mustang driver!
but I would insist on micro-penis's insurance providing a courtesy car of your choice until you can get a new car

Car insurance fraud adds £60 a year to everyones insurance premium In the UK. Fraud is illegal and the insurance industry spend millions of pounds a year identifying it.

As bad as the accident was, it was just that, an accident. This is very different to someone over the alcohol limit or driving under the influence of drugs. If the OP is only looking for “Reasonable coverage of costs”, do any of the following statements seem reasonable,

They are going to get every little thing
I am going to lay into them hard
but i am then going to get "as much money" as i can out of them

Why does a wealthy person driving a nice car automatically become a bad person. I thought this was a sensible forum but the following comments are shameless, they are not said in jest…..

The Guy was your typical mid 60s bald and probably with a malfunctioning penis, and the car had to make up for that.
He was at the hospital as well, his wife in the passenger seat got quite the beating as well from the impact. Wife knows me well enough that she refused to tell me who in the Waiting room it was, she knows i was liable to put him in hospital for real as well
Bloody idiot vanity Mustang driver!
but I would insist on micro-penis's insurance providing a courtesy car of your choice until you can get a new car
Hey, when the car was smashed my wife was on her way home with our kids, she had just charged the car so the only costs she would have had for the rest of the trip was.

1. About 40 kWh of electricity at a charger along the way.
2. The toll fare for a one way trip across.

I had just come home from a separate vacation with one of our kids, i was in NO way, going to go anywhere, if this had not happened.

So they might reasonably deduct the price of 40 kWh of electricity and one fare.

I do not think for ONE SECOND that it is unfair if we were not going to pay 1 pound more going forward, than we would with the EV, why is it, that an accident for which we are ABSOLUTELY not liable for, has to cost us money.

Of course i am going to lie into them hard, they are probably going to try and get out of this without paying anything, and if i do NOT lay into them hard, i am most likely not going to GET anything.

Accusing me of trying to defraud them, because i want the extra expenses i will now have, due to something for which neither me, nor my wife has ANY fault in, is pretty harsh.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ZTT

Yeah, i had no intention of going across the country, and rent a room for me and my 2 kids, if it had not been for my wife being in hospital.

My plan of attack if they refuse everything is ask them for an e-mail address, i will then send them my claims, with receipts attached, and just ask the person to deny me this, in writing.

If they do this i will contact the sleasiest tabloid in the country and ask if they would like to rip the insurance company a new one.

Sadly it seems that nowadays companies have little respect for anything but bad publicity.

I bet the tabloid will be thrilled to get a bit of dashcam action from our own country, and then tell hos the insurance company would not even cover basic costs, associated with me, having to go across the country to get my kids somewhere to sleep, and to get my wife home.

And YES, i am not going to try and squeeze them for more money than i will have to spend, this is about getting compensated for costs, not try to make money off of it.

Hey, when the car was smashed my wife was on her way home with our kids, she had just charged the car so the only costs she would have had for the rest of the trip was.

1. About 40 KW of electricity at a charger along the way.
2. The toll fare for a one way trip across.

I had just come home from a seperate vacation with one of our kids, i was in NO way, going to go anywhere, if this had not happened.

So they might reasonably deduct the price of 40 KWh of electricity and one fare.

I do not think for ONE SECOND that it is unfair if we were not going to pay 1 pound more going forward, than we would with the EV, why is it, that an accident for which we are ABSOLUTELY not liable for, has to cost us money.

Offcourse i am going to lie into them hard, they are probably going to try and get out of this without paying anything, and if i do NOT lay into them hard, i am most likely not going to GET anything.

Accusing me of trying to defraud them, because i want the extra expenses i will now have, due to something for which neither me, nor my wife has ANY fault in, is pretty harsh.
With dashcam footage why do you believe you wont get anything unless you go in hard.

That sort of attitude, along with your earlier comments, particularly the one below, may indicate a person unable to control their anger.

Yeah, i had no intention of going across the country, and rent a room for me and my 2 kids, if it had not been for my wife being in hospital.

My plan of attack if they refuse everything is ask them for an e-mail address, i will then send them my claims, with receipts attached, and just ask the person to deny me this, in writing.

If they do this i will contact the sleasiest tabloid in the country and ask if they would like to rip the insurance company a new one.

Sadly it seems that nowadays companies have little respect for anything but bad publicity.

I bet the tabloid will be thrilled to get a bit of dashcam action from our own country, and then tell hos the insurance company would not even cover basic costs, associated with me, having to go across the country to get my kids somewhere to sleep, and to get my wife home.

And YES, i am not going to try and squeeze them for more money than i will have to spend, this is about getting compensated for costs, not try to make money off of it.
Most people's reply was to wish your family well, not grumble about £60 in the UK for an accident in Denmark. And nobody here was encouraging any kind of fraud either. Ignore the wild accusations and highly strung response - it's just not worth the additional headache.

Most people's reply was to wish your family well, not grumble about £60 in the UK for an accident in Denmark. And nobody here was encouraging any kind of fraud either. Ignore the wild accusations and highly strung response - it's just not worth the additional headache.
Yeah you are right no need to waste time on that kind of individual :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom