• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

GUTTED !!!!

As for all of the rest of the claims, money for petrol, toll bridge, hotel and whatnot, i would myself have to negotiate that with the other party's insurance company.

I am going to lay into them hard, They will have to pay for these expenses, and i am also going to ask them to provide me with a rental car for the period until the new car arrives. My own insurance company's guy told me that they will not want to do that, but i am then going to get "as much money" as i can out of them, to try and offset my costs.

It is highly unlikely they will refund any of these costs as you would incur them anyway. it is claims like this which puts up insurance for everone else buy hey, so long as you make money then its okay…….

making false or exaggerated claims is insurance fraud
Quick take the LED headlight bulbs out!!!! Oh hang on......

Car insurance fraud adds £60 a year to everyones insurance premium In the UK. Fraud is illegal and the insurance industry spend millions of pounds a year identifying it.

As bad as the accident was, it was just that, an accident. This is very different to someone over the alcohol limit or driving under the influence of drugs. If the OP is only looking for “Reasonable coverage of costs”, do any of the following statements seem reasonable,

They are going to get every little thing
I am going to lay into them hard
but i am then going to get "as much money" as i can out of them

Why does a wealthy person driving a nice car automatically become a bad person. I thought this was a sensible forum but the following comments are shameless, they are not said in jest…..

The Guy was your typical mid 60s bald and probably with a malfunctioning penis, and the car had to make up for that.
He was at the hospital as well, his wife in the passenger seat got quite the beating as well from the impact. Wife knows me well enough that she refused to tell me who in the Waiting room it was, she knows i was liable to put him in hospital for real as well
Bloody idiot vanity Mustang driver!
but I would insist on micro-penis's insurance providing a courtesy car of your choice until you can get a new car
Claiming for out-of-pocket expenses and reasonable reparation is not defrauding the insurance company.

Also, this wasn't an accident, it was an incident. There is a big difference. An accident occurs at random without any warning or forseeable cause. This incident was caused by negligence on the part of the driver not putting his car into park, and at worst driving without due care and attention.

Claiming for out-of-pocket expenses and reasonable reparation is not defrauding the insurance company.

Also, this wasn't an accident, it was an incident. There is a big difference. An accident occurs at random without any warning or forseeable cause. This incident was caused by negligence on the part of the driver not putting his car into park, and at worst driving without due care and attention.
Isn't the starting point for all this "to be put back into the same position as you were before any of it happened"? If not the innocent are being effectively penalised...

Latest update, the guy from the garage that has the car called me, he wanted to know if i had the keys to the car, he wanted to just quickly start it up, to check the mileage, before sending the pictures and the estimated cost of repair to the insurance company.

I told him that unless he wanted to talk to emergency services, that it would be wise to NOT connect it, and to just write 4000 miles, as this would be within a couple of hundred miles of the truth.

Asked him if the car, in his opinion would be fixed or scrapped, and he said, that with the damage to the front, the damage to the back, all of the interior parts needing fixing, including airbags, seatbelt pretentioners and the fact that the drive motor / reduction gear assy being cracked, that the price would be way to high, compared to the rules (New car, can only be legally be rebuild if the price of the rebuild is max 50% of the price from new, not counting VAT)

So basically the car is dead, which i am actually happy about, i would not like to have a car back that had been extensively repaired.

All we need now is official confirmation from then insurance company guy, and that the other insurance companies costumer accepts the blame for the accident.

We have begun compiling a list of costs, both those we have actual receipts for, but also other costs, that we know we will have, but just don't know the exact figure.

When contacted by his insurance company, we will forward this list to them and take it from there.

Last edited:
Why does a wealthy person driving a nice car automatically become a bad person.
I dont think thats whats caused them to become the bad person here. It's the idiocy of getting out of your car in while in reverse endangering others.

I'm sure if you were just going somewhere with your family and some **** decides to harm your family and destroy the car you have been waiting ages for your gonna be pretty ticked of too.

I thought the comments were funny and lifted what's a terrible situation up a little

:)

But he and his wife is apparantly okay, he smashed up our car and put my wife in hospital on friday, and saturday he posted pictures of him and his wife on a nice boating trip with them eating nice food at a restaurant, like nothing had happened.

He is a recently retired banker, boasts he was a banker for 48 years, and he also happily posts on facebook when the police sends him pictures from a camera van, when he is speeding.
If this goes to court, give all this to your lawyer. It shows he doesn't care about others and the judge or magistrates (not sure about Danish legal system) will likely increase any fine & driving ban he gets. There's also a fair chance any damages awarded to you and the 3rd family will be increased too.

I'd be keeping that out of the media for now!
That's exactly what i am doing

I will probably post it to some of the "crash compilation" youtubers, but i will wait until i settle with the insurance company.

If the insurance company does not at all play ball, and does not cough up (Other than for the car itself) i might try some local tabloid newspaper, they love to hang these companies out to dry for being unethical :)

Insurance man called to tell me that they had evaluated my car, and came to the conclusion that it would cost £47.500 to fix it, which they unsurprisingly did not want to spend, as a new silver LR Connect with mats and a trailer hitch right now cost £38.400 so they would put the car up as totalled.

So i just placed an order for a new car like the one we had, and paid the deposit, so now we just need to wait 9-12 months.

Wife talked to the police, asking for case number for the insurance company, and she casually asked if she would be called as a witness in the other drivers court case.

Blown away by the answer.

The police basically says that since it was an "accident" and he did not mean to do it, they don't want to pursue the matter further, and referred us to the insurance company.

So this guy is not going to be charged with dangerous driving, he will not have any points on his license, and he will not even have to pay a fine for what he did.

What is the law worth, if you are not punished, if you just say "Ups, didn't mean to".

At the very least i think he should be punished for his negligence, for not putting the car into neutral or park, before exiting it, which is the root cause of the accident.

I think the police look upon it as an accident due to his stupidity or negligence as he didn't actually do it purposely.
Although the guy is obviously a d**k with his arrogant attitude, but karma will get him sooner or later.

I think the police look upon it as an accident due to his stupidity or negligence as he didn't actually do it purposely.
Although the guy is obviously a d**k with his arrogant attitude, but karma will get him sooner or later.
I don't think that is accurate, if they considered his actions stupid or negligent, that is exactly why they should prosecute. In this country The offence of dangerous driving is "when driving falls far below the minimum standard expected of a competent and careful driver...", and I think we can all agree that his driving meets that criteria or at the very least the lesser offence of driving without due care and attention. Or how about even the offence "Driver Not in Position to Have Proper Control", I think you'd find that difficult to argue against. (I appreciate Denmark may differ)

I think that the principle damage was vehicle damage, and as far as I can tell (hmadsen may correct me) personal injury was relatively minor, so the police just don't want to spend their time on the paperwork, when as they view it 'insurance companies have it covered.'

Much speculation on my part, but that's my view.

Last edited:
Having pondered a little more and giving the police a little more benefit of the doubt, I do wonder if the police have a clear idea of what happened. The drivers statement may differ a little from reality, ie he might have neglected to mention he was hanging out the car and just said his foot slipped. I'm not sure how much information they took from others at the scene, or whether they would have taken the time to review CCTV as the result of an 'accident'.

Having pondered a little more and giving the police a little more benefit of the doubt, I do wonder if the police have a clear idea of what happened. The drivers statement may differ a little from reality, ie he might have neglected to mention he was hanging out the car and just said his foot slipped. I'm not sure how much information they took from others at the scene, or whether they would have taken the time to review CCTV as the result of an 'accident'.
He did tell them the factual stuff, and they also reviewed the CCTV footage from the great belt toll booths, so they should have a pretty clear picture of what actually happened.

I still feel there should have been some consequences. It is the sheer stupidity of trying to exit your car with the car in reverse.

If i start up my car in my driveway, and run into the house for 10 seconds to get my phone, and the police drives by, i can be fined for leaving my car in such a state, that it is possible to easily steal it.

If i cross the road on foot, in a pedestrian crossing in the middle of the night and the light is red, i can get a fine, but if i am very stupid and leave my car in reverse, while partially getting out of my car, it seems that if i say "that was not my intention" then i will get off, with no charges.

Especially since this was an older gentleman (65-70 years old) i would have thought it was a great time to just get him to "confirm" that he was indeed able to handle a motorvehicle at all.

It offcourse hit my wife the hardest, to hear the police officer tell her that they would do nothing, as he did not mean to do it.

He was not hurt, his wife was discharged from hospital the same day, 24 hours later he posts on facebook how he was at a nice restaurant and boating trip with some family, and he "brags" about speeding tickets on facebook.

He can get the money from the insurance and buy a comparable car in a week or so, and then all will be back to normal for him, my wife is still affected, and we will have to pay for another car while we wait.

The insurance company says that they will probably not even cover the £250 i had to pay for petrol, toll fare and hotel, as a direct consequence of this man destroying our car.

I know, i am emotionally involved, but i would like to think that even if this had been someone else, i would be mad on their behalf :)

So when we get the money from the insurance we will have to source some other means of transportation for the duration until we can get a new car, this comes at the worst time in many many years, used cars are really expensive.

Without a doubt, this will end up costing us atleast £5000, for something which we have no blame in whatsoever, and that pisses me off, almost as much as the old geezer getting off without so much a ticket for dangerous driving.

He did tell them the factual stuff, and they also reviewed the CCTV footage from the great belt toll booths, so they should have a pretty clear picture of what actually happened.

I still feel there should have been some consequences. It is the sheer stupidity of trying to exit your car with the car in reverse.

If i start up my car in my driveway, and run into the house for 10 seconds to get my phone, and the police drives by, i can be fined for leaving my car in such a state, that it is possible to easily steal it.

If i cross the road on foot, in a pedestrian crossing in the middle of the night and the light is red, i can get a fine, but if i am very stupid and leave my car in reverse, while partially getting out of my car, it seems that if i say "that was not my intention" then i will get off, with no charges.

Especially since this was an older gentleman (65-70 years old) i would have thought it was a great time to just get him to "confirm" that he was indeed able to handle a motorvehicle at all.

It offcourse hit my wife the hardest, to hear the police officer tell her that they would do nothing, as he did not mean to do it.

He was not hurt, his wife was discharged from hospital the same day, 24 hours later he posts on facebook how he was at a nice restaurant and boating trip with some family, and he "brags" about speeding tickets on facebook.

He can get the money from the insurance and buy a comparable car in a week or so, and then all will be back to normal for him, my wife is still affected, and we will have to pay for another car while we wait.

The insurance company says that they will probably not even cover the £250 i had to pay for petrol, toll fare and hotel, as a direct consequence of this man destroying our car.

I know, i am emotionally involved, but i would like to think that even if this had been someone else, i would be mad on their behalf :)

So when we get the money from the insurance we will have to source some other means of transportation for the duration until we can get a new car, this comes at the worst time in many many years, used cars are really expensive.

Without a doubt, this will end up costing us at least £5000, for something which we have no blame in whatsoever, and that pisses me off, almost as much as the old geezer getting off without so much a ticket for dangerous driving.
For clarity, I 100% agree he should be prosecuted, as per by first post, I believe he has committed an offence. As per my posts, I could only think of 2 reasons that they were not pressing charges, either they didn't investigate properly and they weren't aware of his offence, or that they simply thought it was too much hassle. As you seem to have clarified they were fully aware of his actions, I can only think of the remaining reason that they believe it is too much trouble for them. I too would be most upset that this was the police's view.

I also agree that you will probably not get full redress, directly from the insurance company. I suggest to get this you may need a lawyer, many policies here have legal cover, to be used in this sort of situation, I don't know if you have this.

For clarity, I 100% agree he should be prosecuted, as per by first post, I believe he has committed an offence. As per my posts, I could only think of 2 reasons that they were not pressing charges, either they didn't investigate properly and they weren't aware of his offence, or that they simply thought it was too much hassle. As you seem to have clarified they were fully aware of his actions, I can only think of the remaining reason that they believe it is too much trouble for them. I too would be most upset that this was the police's view.

I also agree that you will probably not get full redress, directly from the insurance company. I suggest to get this you may need a lawyer, many policies here have legal cover, to be used in this sort of situation, I don't know if you have this.
I will look into getting a lawyers opinion.

Also, we have decided to send an e-mail to the police chief in the station the police officers came from, we will send them pictures of the car, tell them the car is totalled (To underline that it was not subtle shunt) and a link to my onedrive folder with out dashcam, and outright ask him if we understood his police officer right, when he said that the other driver did nothing wrong and was not going to be prosecuted or fined in any way.

If they report back that this is indeed the case, i will probably include this in a youtube video, together with the facebook posts he made where he brags about getting speeding tickets and so on, and then i will contact some media's and ask if they are interested in the story.

My thoughts on why they do not want to prosecute is probably because they are very heavily loaded with cases, and in their eyes "No one got hurt" so it's just a fender bender.

Both the guy taking the pictures of our car at the garage, and the guy from the insurance company also says that the place they put our car is a REALLY bad place, because there are some "ghetto areas right near" and these areas are notorious for having very high crime rates, so they probably have no manpower to prosecute him.

The insurance guy says there are cases of cars lit on fire on that road, almost every month. Apparantly baddies from the Ghetto, steal a car somewhere, use it to do a break-in and then dump the car there after loading the loot into their own car, and then they torch the car to get rid of any fingerprints or DNA.

I am so happy i decided to go to the car the same night to get our stuff out of it, even though the great belt boss told us that it was pretty safe where it was.

Last edited by a moderator:
It happens. I had a driver jump a red filter light and T-bone me in centre of London. All witnessed by a plain clothes police patrol car and on camera. I really thought they would get done for something, but no, Police said they were not charging them.. Luckily, I guess they hit me in a car and not a pedestrian.
I always get suspicious when I think back to that, how the driver got off Scott free. Perhaps it is a case of who you know in the system.

It is incredible that the police refuse to prosecute in a case where a driver has caused personal injury as a result of a driving incident.
When taking up the matter with them I would stress the fact that your wife was required to spend a night in hospital and is still suffering after effects. If they fail to prosecute in cases of personal injury, whether accidental or intentional, then when would they prosecute?
Good luck with your pursuit of this ridiculous person. I have every sympathy for you.

New car ordered, it seems that it will even have the sunroof.

Expected date of delivery is right now August 7, 2023, as per the agreement i signed and paid the deposit for. :( :( :(

I am currently looking at a car that will eventually replace our 10 year old Corsa, we will have to keep the corsa, and then just take 2 cars, if we need to go somewhere as a family.

I think this will be the cheapest option right now, as a car in similar size and not "100 years old" is going to cost a LOT more. We were in the process of agreeing to replacing the Corsa

When (If ever, with the current world situation) we get the new ZS EV, we will sell the old Corsa, to get back a bit of money, and keep the ZS EV, and the "new" car that we buy to replace it

New car ordered, it seems that it will even have the sunroof.

Expected date of delivery is right now August 7, 2023, as per the agreement i signed and paid the deposit for. :( :( :(

I am currently looking at a car that will eventually replace our 10 year old Corsa, we will have to keep the corsa, and then just take 2 cars, if we need to go somewhere as a family.

I think this will be the cheapest option right now, as a car in similar size and not "100 years old" is going to cost a LOT more. We were in the process of agreeing to replacing the Corsa

When (If ever, with the current world situation) we get the new ZS EV, we will sell the old Corsa, to get back a bit of money, and keep the ZS EV, and the "new" car that we buy to replace it
A whole year :confused:. Have you let the dealer know to contact you in case they have a cancelled order they could offer? Probably a slim chance, but you never know.

At least you still have the sky roof though.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom