HAS ANYONE GOT INFO CHANGING ELECTRICITY PROVIDERS RE SMART METER

dundee1961

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
In the process of changing from EDF to OCTOPUS , as EDF cannot give a time to fit a SMART METER , Octopus are saying once i change to them they will install a SMART METER Meanwhile Octopus will be charging us 20.05p a KWH . Do we need a Smart Meter to get an EV TARIFF . We dont have our EV car yet and by the looks of things its going to be a while .Thank you

As far as I am aware you must have a Smart Meter so that what you use at what time can be reported back to the power company.

Otherwise how would they know what you were using when?

As far as I am aware you must have a Smart Meter so that what you use at what time can be reported back to the power company.

Otherwise how would they know what you were using when?
Thank you .
Same cant get Home Charging Installed with OLEF AND EST Grants as Garage saying they dont have VIN Number .
Its like one step forward and 10 back .....

I had the same problem with EDF, they decided they were coming to fit one when they found out I was changing supplier

I am with Peoples Energy or was but they've gone bump today

I have the older smart meter that won't inform anybody else other than EON fitted years ago

I had the same problem with EDF, they decided they were coming to fit one when they found out I was changing supplier

I have the older smart meter that won't inform anybody else other than EON fitted years ago
who did you move too ? Octopus are saying they will fit a smart meter , ive to go on a standard tarrif at first , then once with them phone get an time to get a smart meter installed and once i installed i can go onto Octopus GO Tarriff.

Yeah I too have a SMETS1 (I think thats what it's called) meter from British Gas, so if I switch at the moment it just turns back into a dumb meter.

Have to wait for it to get a software update some time later this year.

I was with Peoples Energy until they went bump today its up to Ofgem who will try to rip me off now

defeatedbytheca I can still get the readings on my smart display, but nobody else can its only the sim in it that needs changing but they can't change it without the permission of who owns the meter​

who did you move too ? Octopus are saying they will fit a smart meter , ive to go on a standard tarrif at first , then once with them phone get an time to get a smart meter installed and once i installed i can go onto Octopus GO Tarriff.
I moved to Octopus from British Gas. The same as you say - I had no smart meters until Octopus installed. At first I was on standard tariff. It was all completed within about 6 weeks for me. It does very much depend on your postcode I think.

Hi,
I asked Bulb to install smart meters and started my switch at the same time and the meters were changed a few days before the switch so I could move to the Go tariff almost immediately (Bulb only intsructed Siemens to do the swap).

In the process of changing from EDF to OCTOPUS , as EDF cannot give a time to fit a SMART METER , Octopus are saying once i change to them they will install a SMART METER Meanwhile Octopus will be charging us 20.05p a KWH . Do we need a Smart Meter to get an EV TARIFF . We dont have our EV car yet and by the looks of things its going to be a while .Thank you
Just a suggestion, why not ring the dedicated EV team at EDF and tell them you would like to stay with them and would be interested in signing up for one of their EV friendly tariff's.
To go on this type of tariff, you will need a SMES 2 Smart meter installing of course.
Explain that you have been touted by Octopus energy to move to them.
Then it maybe in EDF's interest to get your meters updated ASAP.
If you do have to wait a while, they will put you on a lower flat rate tariff.
Smart meter replacements are a bit of a post code lottery.
Some are done really quickly, some do drag on a bit.

I was with Peoples Energy until they went bump today its up to Ofgem who will try to rip me off now

defeatedbytheca I can still get the readings on my smart display, but nobody else can its only the sim in it that needs changing but they can't change it without the permission of who owns the meter​

What do you mean by People's Energy have gone bump ? 😟

If EON fitted a Secure Liberty SMETS1 meter then Octopus can talk to it.

That’s exactly what I did in switching to Octopus ……

What do you mean by People's Energy have gone bump ? 😟
Here is the article covered by Martin Lewis, no less !.

I'm with Octopus and engineer rang me today to confirm tomorrows appointment,but said if I still wanted smart meters fitted as the signal they use to read them with was tied to the Bildales mask that set fire and went down.Wide area covering from near Hull all the way to Tees valley.He said it will be likely next year before signal is working again.So in meantime I won't be able to get Octopus Go 😕 The meters will just be dumb ones.His also fitting a isolation switch so I can get my outside BP charger.

Tried to get a smart meter from OVO energy but was told not possible. After a bit more digging I contacted Arqiva who provide the communications infrastructure in my area. They actually sent me a very informative reply....

There is an area of the North Yorkshire Moors, which contains the RAF radar base at Fylingdales. This base is part of the Ballistic Missile Early Warning System with its primary purpose to give the British and US governments warning of an impending attack. Your address is located in the RAF Fylingdales region 33km from the Fylingdales boundary.
Arqiva has not declared your address as a working postcode, that is, we cannot provided service currently. The standard Communications Hub which we deploy elsewhere in the country has a radio frequency which would interfere with this sensitive region. To avoid any interference with the radar base we have developed the Dual Band Variant 450 Comms Hub which is currently in development and testing. The testing responsibility currently lies with the Data Communication Company (DCC) the company licensed by the government and regulated by Ofgem to connect smart meters and homes across the country to a single secure, digital network.

Here is the article covered by Martin Lewis, no less !.

Thanks for that info @Lovemyev it's come as a complete surprise to me, no correspondence or nothing from them. I'm with People's Energy through Look After My Bills and my next switch is due next week, hopefully it will proceed without hitch before Ofgem puts me on a high tariff. I'm glad my credit is protected, I'm over £100 in front.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom