Has anyone NOT had any problems

NickHeynes

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I'm due to be picking up my SE SR in a couple of weeks and all the talk of leaks bulges and software glitches is giving me the Willies!

Have any MG4 Owners had no problems?

Bear in mind that members of this forum are only a subset of overall MG4 owners.

I've ordered an SE SR and should hopefully get it 26-Oct. Most of the reported issues (especially the oil leak) seem to have been restricted to the earlier models / a particular batch, so hopefully the newer cars arriving aren't subject to the same problems.

The main thing is - make sure your dealer is fully aware of the prospective issues before you collect your car.

issues….. yes, problems? …..no.

full confidence in the car. Done just short of 1000 miles now (just got back from a weekend trip undertaking a 350 mile round trip (with hay coloured oil/whatever seeping from, back underside in location of diff/motor. Am I bothered ?…. No. I know it is not gear box oil (not going to go into that again), dealership have told me to bring it at any time and they will look at it, clean it up, then put it up on stilts again to double check. So far not worried. I am confident if this was a major problem, Dealership would be screaming at me to get the car to them ASAP.

Software glitches / annoying ? … yes….. live with? Yes… just turn bongs off, turn 2019 welcome message off……easy, no problem.

Lag in touch screen annoying? … yes at times…. But get used to it and just get on with this first world problem.

driving? ….. wonderful

Acceleration ? ….. perfect and very surprising

comfortable? ….. very, and on long trips as well….longest spent driving thus far 2:45 hrs

Efficiency ? ….. very! Lowest = 3.2KWh….Highest = 4.9 KWh

value for money ? ……. Compared to current similar vehicles available to purchase……wins hands down, IMO

would I want to get rid for current issues and niggles?….not on your nelly! I love this car to Bits!

Some people out there are going to miss out on a fantastic EV for the sake of worrying over nothing in my view. But that is not really any of my business. As have said before, if you want a perfect car without any issues, no matter how small, then the MG4 (or any other MG for that matter) is not for you, and that being said, probably not any other car for that matter, despite them being in excess of £10K more.

Last edited:
The forum tells of the problems, but does not tell of the silent majority of satisfied drivers and cars.

My ZS EV has been a super car for the last 23 months....
I concur, my BMW i3 was awesome also.

issues….. yes, problems? …..no.

full confidence in the car. Done just short of 1000 miles now (just got back from a weekend trip undertaking a 350 mile round trip (with hay coloured oil/whatever seeping from, back underside in location of diff/motor. Am I bothered ?…. No. I know it is not gear box oil (not going to go into that again), dealership have told me to bring it at any time and they will look at it, clean it up, then put it up on stilts again to double check. So far not worried. I am confident if this was a major problem, Dealership would be screaming at me to get the car to them ASAP.

Software glitches / annoying ? … yes….. live with? Yes… just turn bongs off, turn 2019 welcome message off……easy, no problem.

Lag in touch screen annoying? … yes at times…. But get used to it and just get on with this first world problem.

driving? ….. wonderful

Acceleration ? ….. perfect and very surprising

comfortable? ….. very, and on long trips as well….longest spent driving thus far 2:45 hrs

Efficiency ? ….. very! Lowest = 3.2KWh….Highest = 4.9 KWh

value for money ? ……. Compared to current similar vehicles available to purchase……wins hands down, IMO

would I want to get rid for current issues and niggles?….not on your nelly! I love this car to Bits!

Some people out there are going to miss out on a fantastic EV for the sake of worrying over nothing in my view. But that is not really any of my business. As have said before, if you want a perfect car without any issues, no matter how small, then the MG4 (or any other MG for that matter) is not for you, and that being said, probably not any other car for that matter, despite them being in excess of £10K more.
Well harry17 I agree wholeheartedly with most of what you have written in your post and I admire you attitude and positivity towards the issues with the new MG4.

Although and quite rightly here you didn’t want to enter into the the so entitled gearbox oil leaks it is still an unsolved as yet issue as to what it is that we all hope is being addressed at the very top of MG motors, and it will get sorted very soon once someone gets an handle on it oil or whatever it is.

I’m I confident in that we’ll see the picture below from Saturday afternoon my wife with receipt in hand standing beside the car she will pick up on Wednesday still in its wrapping at Chorley MG at Chorley.

God help me if it does break.
Les

8A32C372-5EF8-4F7A-87C0-5A7FFE1B2B13.jpeg

Well harry17 I agree wholeheartedly with most of what you have written in your post and I admire you attitude and positivity towards the issues with the new MG4.

Although and quite rightly here you didn’t want to enter into the the so entitled gearbox oil leaks it is still an unsolved as yet issue as to what it is that we all hope is being addressed at the very top of MG motors, and it will get sorted very soon once someone gets an handle on it oil or whatever it is.

I’m I confident in that we’ll see the picture below from Saturday afternoon my wife with receipt in hand standing beside the car she will pick up on Wednesday still in its wrapping at Chorley MG at Chorley.

Les

View attachment 11916
Nice, was this car off the Grand Venus? awaiting notification of mine at local dealer?

Les

View attachment 11916
Re: ”God help me if it breaks“ LOL….. fortunately, whilst my wife loves my car, she has her own for the next three years, but I am certain, after this point, should she get an MG4 (or any other MG at that time) on my say-so…….. well I will be well in truly in your church Parish !! 😂.

I am only trying to put my perspective forward Les, I get that some will be very risk adverse, and rightly so. I just think that having owned the car for coming uop to 4 weeks and having now undertaken 1098 miles, I am very able to trust this car, and I love driving it! Even get a little “shaking that ass” wobble when you floor it out of a roundabout Without any worry that you will loose the back end! Just adds to the enjoyment for a little play now and then (more-so when you have a load of range to spare 😁👍). Not something I often do, just that with most of my journeys being for efficiency, it is nice to have a little play now and then.

Your life (Freuident slip??) Wife, will love it Les, I promise! I am not Nostradamus, I do not know what may or may not transpire In the future re: this car. All I can say at this moment in time, as i have already said, I am confident driving this car.

Last edited:
Thanks harry17,yeh took me a long time to convince her she would be fine in the 4,I have had my five now for almost 20 months and she likes the car but has only driven it 2/3 times when I have had one more than I should’ve and that’s only in the last couple of weeks,says it to big.
We have been waiting for MG3 Ev to come along but that never hasn’t happened as you know, she as had from new her Corsa 1.2 twinport for 16 years it’s only just done 60000 miles and is in really good condition, we where going to trade it in and got offered a decent price by when a few neighbours found out it was going we where having some much better offers for it so it’s going next door but 2, to my neighbour, he had a very bad crash in his MG5 awhile ago which you may remember I wrote about and he as been told. It might be next year before they can get the body parts to repair it not good is it.

But it was the colour that swayed the deal
She loves that MG red we only got the base model SR SE but it’s a bloody expensive shopping trolley LOL.
So when the 7year warranty is up it might have around 20-25,000 on it, but thinking about that could be a bit more as now when we go to a pub we can go in her car and she can drive me home. YEH
Les.

Thanks harry17,yeh took me a long time to convince her she would be fine in the 4,I have had my five now for almost 20 months and she likes the car but has only driven it 2/3 times when I have had one more than I should’ve and that’s only in the last couple of weeks,says it to big.
We have been waiting for MG3 Ev to come along but that never hasn’t happened as you know, she as had from new her Corsa 1.2 twinport for 16 years it’s only just done 60000 miles and is in really good condition, we where going to trade it in and got offered a decent price by when a few neighbours found out it was going we where having some much better offers for it so it’s going next door but 2, to my neighbour, he had a very bad crash in his MG5 awhile ago which you may remember I wrote about and he as been told. It might be next year before they can get the body parts to repair it not good is it.

But it was the colour that swayed the deal
She loves that MG red we only got the base model SR SE but it’s a bloody expensive shopping trolley LOL.
So when the 7year warranty is up it might have around 20-25,000 on it, but thinking about that could be a bit more as now when we go to a pub we can go in her car and she can drive me home. YEH
Les.
Your not a daft lad Les….you seem to have it all worked out !! 😁

look brother, the MG4 is in most aspects …. Fantastic! Every car has risks set aside it….a Brand new car , more-so.

This car may end up with having a few faults that may require attention, but it is a brand new car, on a brand new platform.

As I have said a few times now, my car has all the trade marks re: recent members worries. But with this known to me (I agree I have the issues too), I thought ‘Bugger it’ (not literally I hope you understand), I am going to take it up north to show it off to my elderly parents up in the North East.

No it a single solitary issue.

loved it, my wife fell asleep in. It (typical, but at least I could listen to the sport on Radio 5-Live).

Had it charged to 100% for a LR trip….spent 145 miles and ended up with 42% battery left.

took it too a Fastned charger system at my mothers home town……charged up to 90% at a rate of 45 pence a mile (via Bonnet), worked a treat!!! Easy pEasy, lemon squeezY, curent fastned rate was 73p KWh, so result there !!

I have a fair bit iof oily stuff on the underside, will get it into my dealer, when I can (due to work stuff and life stuff), I’am not in a hurry. I know my dealership are monitoring their demo a lot since they have been informed of the ‘OilGate’ issue. So I know they will get a hold of me if needs be.

For me, the pros very much outweigh the cons.

As I have tried to say on every positive post, that I have posted, I do understand others trepidation in getting onboard with the MG4. There is no answer to this, each and every person needs to cover their own bases. For me it works for others it will not.

This reminds me of a quote I once posted ….one persons porridge, is another persons muesli 😁

Your not a daft lad Les….you seem to have it all worked out !! 😁
Harry I wish life was that easy but thank you anyway
Yeh pick it up on Wednesday then possibly at the weekend 4/5 hundred mile round trip to Buckinghamshire for its test run can’t wait to try that ACC my 5SR doesn’t have that
Les

Last edited:
The forum tells of the problems, but does not tell of the silent majority of satisfied drivers and cars.
And just as warranted a hypothetical, it might not tell of 'silent' drivers also experiencing similar issues, but have not joined this or another forum/facebook group.

And just as warranted a hypothetical, it might not tell of 'silent' drivers also experiencing similar issues, but have not joined this or another forum/facebook group.
Valid point, it's the million dollar question how many cars are actually experiencing the oil leak issues. There must be a larger % of owners out there who could be blissfully unaware there has even been a problem

I for one am very grateful for this forum, as I’ve learned a lot about the MG4, it’s quirks and issues. When I do eventually go in to my dealership and pick up the car I have ordered (hopefully in January) it will be with my sensible cap on. Having sent the customer checklist and photos of the leak and undertray bulges from this forum to the dealer as well, they are also in a better position to make pre delivery inspection checks and know of any possible problems further down the line. Communication between customer, dealer and manufacturer is key. This forum has undoubtedly speeded up this communication.

I'm due to be picking up my SE SR in a couple of weeks and all the talk of leaks bulges and software glitches is giving me the Willies!

Have any MG4 Owners had no problems?
I owned an VW ID.3 and thought that car was great, then I sold that and bought the MG4 Trophy and OMG what a huge difference. Such a well built car and fabulous drive. Much better tech and styling. My one and only issue/worry which I did put a thread in, was the car driving dangerously in ACC, pushing me into the fast lane from the middle lane. People have suggested switching off Lane Assist, with ACC, which I have yet to try. I wrote to MG with the issue and waiting for a response, but it’s possible a software issue. Would I buy it again, oh yes, definitely.

I owned an VW ID.3 and thought that car was great, then I sold that and bought the MG4 Trophy and OMG what a huge difference. Such a well built car and fabulous drive. Much better tech and styling. My one and only issue/worry which I did put a thread in, was the car driving dangerously in ACC, pushing me into the fast lane from the middle lane. People have suggested switching off Lane Assist, with ACC, which I have yet to try. I wrote to MG with the issue and waiting for a response, but it’s possible a software issue. Would I buy it again, oh yes, definitely.
Once you turn off Lane assist, you will be absolutely fine!

Enjoy, I Most certainly do 😁

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel