Headlights

I have been running COB LED headlights in various vehicles for about 5 years.
They are much brighter - no doubt and I would not go back to halogen. But.

I live in rural Cumbria and do around 40 miles a day on narrow lanes in a Kangoo EV, so I have the lights on all the time. I have yet to have a pair of lights last more than a year, so my guess is a mean time to failure of around 700 hours.

I am sure the LEDs will last 20000 hours, but not so the cooling fans, the fans have no proper bearings, so they eventually seize, then the LED heat melts its solder connections and good night!

I have also had one set that caused radio interference.

Finally the LED is much larger than a halogen filament, so the beam pattern is less sharp. our local MOT guy fails it on bad beam pattern, so I have to keep an old set of halogens in the van so he can swap them out to pass the test.

Pete

(Still trying to convince meself to buy an MG)

My Koyoso bulbs arrived today to replace the crap ones I’ve currently got. What are we doing about the seperate in-line ballasts? Do they fit in the headlight housing or not?

Nice. Feared I’d need to modify the headlight cap like you do when fitting HIDs.

Question about sideblinkers.

I have tried two different frontblinkers now.
The first one named KATUR, they turned out to be to extreme bright for me (20 LED's per bulb). So next i tried a pair of OSRAM blinkers, but they had a problem with the Canbus, so they fast blink, and are also a bit week in the output.

What has worked for you???😊

These are the ones I have fitted. They're 1800 lumens but amazing quality and come with a three year warranty. They also don't cause hyper flash.

Last edited:
Those are even brighter than the Twenty20 bulbs!

However I like how bright the Twenty20 bulbs are, I know my indicators are definitely not going to be missed by other drivers.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom