Headlights

I have been doing some research as i was hoping to fit LED headlights, but the information i found states that they would be illegal in the UK! I am presuming this would invalidate the MOT and hence invalidate the insurance. Would i be correct, as I don’t fancy driving around without be legal? Thanks

I have been doing some research as i was hoping to fit LED headlights, but the information i found states that they would be illegal in the UK! I am presuming this would invalidate the MOT and hence invalidate the insurance. Would i be correct, as I don’t fancy driving around without be legal? Thanks
No one will know until the first MOT in 3 years time, then change back to Halogens. ;)
What a bunch of rebels we are for wanting better lights. :sneaky:

It's the 9005 HB3 bulbs that are correct. Because they've sold out the link takes you automatically to the 9006. Something I can't control unfortunately.
Thanks very much. I have a google trawl and see what comes up!

No one will know until the first MOT in 3 years time, then change back to Halogens. ;)
Found this:
Please note that since January 2021, the MOT Inspection manual has been updated to include LED bulbs.

Section 4.1.4 now states the following:

“Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”

This is a brand new update that seems to only focus on headlights.

There are no mentions to fail other LED bulbs such as brake lights, tail lights or reversing lights.

The problem is, if you have an accident and the insurance find out you have LED lights, your insurance becomes invalid. How would you feel if you were claiming after an accident, that was not your fault and they were not insured. Sorry not worth the risk,.

Your insurance should only be invalidated if the bulbs were found to be a contributing factor - blinding an oncomer that caused the crash.
That's what I've gleaned from extensive research, including some stuff from an actual insurer.

Of course at MOT time you can take the bulbs out and put the old halogens in. But the bulbs won't cause glare and have the crisp cut off so I doubt it would ever fail - how are they to know it has LED's fitted let alone ones that didn't come from the factory. They won't physically be checking the bulbs.

Last edited:
The problem is, if you have an accident and the insurance find out you have LED lights, your insurance becomes invalid. How would you feel if you were claiming after an accident, that was not your fault and they were not insured. Sorry not worth the risk,.
I don't plan my life on what ifs and I certainly don't plan to have an accident.
There's more risk of someone not seeing you or you not seeing someone with the standard halogens than there is with the LEDs.
The powers at be are just blanket banning LED replacements bulbs because they can't be bothered to legislate them.
If it's a risk for you then don't fit them, simples.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom