Heated Seats bug altered - not improved!

Tigger

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
My wife asked me to preheat the driver's seat from the app yesterday (the cold weather has reached London) but it didn't come on, despite the app saying it was on. Interesting - time to investigate.

As I recall, the original bug with this function was that if you set the driver's seat to come on (using the app) then the passenger seat came on instead. However, if you ignored the words Driver/Passenger, the display on the app screen of the seat(s) warming up was correct. (I'm talking about the wiggly red lines on the image of the seat). So the app was half right.

This is no longer true: the app is completely wrong. No doubt SAIC tried to fix the original bug, but they blew it. They have made the words Driver/Passenger consistent with the heated seat image, but have applied it to the wrong seat. So when I set Passenger to heat up, the image on the app screen shows the left hand seat with the red warming lines (see image below) - great, you think. Wrong! it is actually heating the driver's (right hand) seat! Holy crap, you might say . . .

But before we get too excited by this, can we determine whether this new bug is universal, or does it only happen on this one-year-old Trophy? I have tried it both ways, and it is consistently wrong on my car.
Screenshot_2023-11-25-14-54-27-41_2eb9c8b5871ee1573f52dd95f3b62309.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-11-25-14-54-27-41_2eb9c8b5871ee1573f52dd95f3b62309.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-11-25-14-54-27-41_2eb9c8b5871ee1573f52dd95f3b62309.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 62
Originally it showed as left hand drive but if you picked the right hand seat you got the right hand seat. When they switched to show right hand drive unfortunately they also switched the sides so now if you ask for the left hand seat you get the right hand side heating. They totally f##ked it up. I have reported it on play store and also e mailed MG UK customer support some time ago but as yet not been fixed.

The picture shows the steering wheel on the right, and the left seat being heated when passenger is selected, but in the car, it's definitely the right hand seat being heated up.

The app seems to know the right orientation of the car, but it seems to be sending the wrong API request to the car. At the API level (app talking to the car), it would probably be defined as left & right, not driver & passenger. The fact that the wrong seat is being activated suggests that the app is sending the wrong command, telling it to activate the left seat instead of the right seat.

Looks like it's universal. I wonder when they changed it? I haven't consciously updated the app, but maybe android did it automatically . . .

What to do? If you want the driver's seat heated, turn on the passenger one. If you can't remember what the problem is, turn both seats on - that works!

I can't even find this on the app... anyone help me with this?
See post #4 above from tsedge. The HVAC tab that appears is on the right, near the top of the screen. On the next screen, there is a seat icon - tap that and you're ready to go!

Edit: and having set the seat(s) to heat, remember to press SEND at the bottom of the screen. If you don't do that, you think you've set it, but you haven't.

Last edited:
That explains it. Anyway, well done for reporting it! (y)
Hasn't done any good, it was easier last winter when at least the left worked the left and right was right . It will need a lot more reports to get anything done. I can imagine the instruction to the developers " switch the seats on the UK app " Ok 👍 no problem . All they had to do was change the screen view but no they switched the sides too. Brilliant , you couldn't make it up . Bloody idiots.

I can't even find this on the app... anyone help me with this?
Open the app and on the screen which shows your cars location, battery % etc. move the slider at the bottom left to on. You will be asked to enter your PIN.
On the next screen tap the HVAC button at the top right.
On the next screen you should have Air Conditioner highlighted and next to it greyed out a seat icon with the words Warm Up. Tap that and you can turn the heated seats on or off.

I tested preheating the seats this morning, they're working fine for me. It's a shame you can't turn on the heated steering wheel, or heat the rear window or side mirrors. MG should update that.

Why do the lights turn on? is it to let you know when it is done or let passers by know the car doing something, my neighbour who was scraping his windshield was impressed but thought 'the Chinese car' as he calls it was going to drive off by itself one day :D

Last edited:
Why do the lights turn on?
Nobody knows! As you say, it does tell you when the heating has finished (if you can see the car), but otherwise it is a menace. If you are in the pub, and the car is parked up the road somewhere, the last thing you want is to draw attention to it in this way. :mad:

Nobody knows! As you say, it does tell you when the heating has finished (if you can see the car), but otherwise it is a menace. If you are in the pub, and the car is parked up the road somewhere, the last thing you want is to draw attention to it in this way. :mad:

My thoughts exactly (y)

Would've been a lot simpler for MG to just drop the "Driver" & "Passenger" text in favour of "Left" & "Right".
Then they wouldn't even have to switch it up for LHD & RHD cars.
Its often the simplest of thought's that are correct - But I expect they had a think tank project steering group meeting to discuss then had a developers workshop to design and then the testers Failed but Passed it as they clearly didn't test ALL countries

Last edited:
Hi as other MG owners have posted, remote switch on of car seat heating has a software glitch. Using Android phone when select I driver's seat to warm up passenger seat warms up and vise versa. Not a great problem if one is aware of fault. Does anybody know if same fault persist Using an Apple device?

[ Edit moderator: clutch → glitch ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums