Heater not getting hot

Just had my ZS EV long range for a few weeks and noticing that the heater doesn't seem to be getting hot even though I've had it as high as 27 Deg C! Anyone else having this problem?
Are you using the car in “Eco” mode ?.
If so, put the car in “Normal” mode and try that !.
Eco mode is designed to reduce the energy sent to the cabin heater to preserve the range.

Mostly. But surely something as basic as a heater should work in any mode!!
That is why your cabin heat is reduced. .
The heater works in all drive modes BUT it is reduced in its output when in ECO mode.
The cabin heater is a big consumer of energy / range.
Running the car in Eco mode and expecting max heat from the cabin heater does not go hand in hand.
If you need more heat, switch to normal or sport mode, then it will be toasty !.
Live with the loss in range 🤣.

Last edited:
The best thing is to warm up/cool down the car in normal mode and then switch to eco to maintain the desired temperature.
I read that the most effective way is actually to just turn on the heated seats.

The heated seats take a LOT less power than the cabin heater, and if the heated seats are on, you will not feel cold, even if the cabin is not heated as much in Eco.

i will not take delivery of my ZS EV until next week so i can not say for sure that this works, but i have read that other people have tested it and is is "true"

It's even more efficient if you get out the car and push.

Sorry but I find it so annoying that people want to turn the heater off to think that they're gaining a couple of miles range. Slowing down has a much bigger effect on range.

It's even more efficient if you get out the car and push.

Sorry but I find it so annoying that people want to turn the heater off to think that they're gaining a couple of miles range. Slowing down has a much bigger effect on range.

Yeah even if you want to travel beyond the battery capacity, why be cold and miserable to make it possible to go another 10 miles.

The time it takes for those extra 2 Kwh's of charge to be added at a fast charger is 2 minutes or something like that.

And who wants to freeze because they can save 50p on electricity for their car. :)

The heated seats are a great option and do assist in preserving range, as the heated seats are powered by the 12 volt battery and the consumption is very small.
The cabin heater will consume a lr of power and therefore range.
However, I do agree with what others have already said.
Heated seats are a local heat source, mainly to your bum and lower back.
They are very quick to respond and do have there place.
But in very cold winter months, the cabin will still feel cold with out using the heater.
A combination of the two is great, when entering the car in freezing conditions, I first select seat heating and then the cabin heater ( unless you have pre heated of course ) this provides an almost instant heat to the seats.
Then the heater will start to warm the cold air inside the cabin.
He heated seats are either ON or OFF.
There is no three stage settings, which is a bit of a pity, but never mind.
They are not enough on there own in the very cold winter months IMHO,
You have to live with the range loss or be cold really !.
Or preheat the cabin while still hooked up to the wall box is another option !.
The A/C deans in the summer is similar, but not has hungry as the load required to heat the cabin.

The heated seats are a great option and do assist in preserving range, as the heated seats are powered by the 12 volt battery and the consumption is very small.
The cabin heater will consume a lr of power and therefore range.
However, I do agree with what others have already said.
Heated seats are a local heat source, mainly to your bum and lower back.
They are very quick to respond and do have there place.
But in very cold winter months, the cabin will still feel cold with out using the heater.
A combination of the two is great, when entering the car in freezing conditions, I first select seat heating and then the cabin heater ( unless you have pre heated of course ) this provides an almost instant heat to the seats.
Then the heater will start to warm the cold air inside the cabin.
He heated seats are either ON or OFF.
There is no three stage settings, which is a bit of a pity, but never mind.
They are not enough on there own in the very cold winter months IMHO,
You have to live with the range loss or be cold really !.
Or preheat the cabin while still hooked up to the wall box is another option !.
The A/C deans in the summer is similar, but not has hungry as the load required to heat the cabin.
The A/C is, as you say not as energy intensive, but that is mainly because there is an acutal A/C system in the car, that only uses maybe 1/3 of power to remove the heat, because of the effectiveness of the heatpump.

It's actually a bit strange that the A/C is not able to be "reversed" so that it could be used for heating as well. Most modern "A/C's" for houses is actually heatpumps and is both able to cool and heat.

The A/C is, as you say not as energy intensive, but that is mainly because there is an acutal A/C system in the car, that only uses maybe 1/3 of power to remove the heat, because of the effectiveness of the heatpump.

It's actually a bit strange that the A/C is not able to be "reversed" so that it could be used for heating as well. Most modern "A/C's" for houses is actually heatpumps and is both able to cool and heat.
Thanks 😀.
It is my understanding that the ZS EV is not equipped with a heat pump on either of the generations ?.

Thanks 😀.
It is my understanding that the ZS EV is not equipped with a heat pump on either of the generations ?.

That is correct.

But if i have understood it right, the difference between an A/C system and a "heatpump" system is very little.

This is why it puzzles me why they did not add those few items that would enable the A/C in the car to also act as a heatpump.

That way, they could have omitted the resistive heating element and just went with the "A/C" system for everything.

That is correct.

But if i have understood it right, the difference between an A/C system and a "heatpump" system is very little.

This is why it puzzles me why they did not add those few items that would enable the A/C in the car to also act as a heatpump.

That way, they could have omitted the resistive heating element and just went with the "A/C" system for everything.
Beats me 🤷‍♂️ !.

The first time I used heated seats, I thought old age had caught up with me and I'd wet myself without realising. A very odd sensation until you get used to it. :)

I had the same effect from a CT scan with dye. When they inject the dye, you get a rush of warmth in your nethers! Fortunately I had been warned about it :ROFLMAO:

Heated seats are an absolute must for me - I have had them on every car since my 1974 Volvo. I find that they heat your body so quickly and efficiently that your need for cabin heating is much reduced.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom