Heavy thump from transmission when gear selected from park

byronreesdavies

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi everyone, not sure if it’s a fault but around 50% of the time I’m getting a heavy thump from behind when the transmission is engaging from park, it’s happening in both drive and reverse, any ideas anyone?

Perhaps a binding Parking brake releasing with a bang ? (was it wet when you parked?). I get a bit of a squeal occasionally.

Hi everyone, not sure if it’s a fault but around 50% of the time I’m getting a heavy thump from behind when the transmission is engaging from park, it’s happening in both drive and reverse, any ideas anyone?
Are you on a slope when it happens?
Try keeping your foot on the brake while engaging D or R and before releasing the brake pedal release the handbrake and then drive off.

Mine was on 15 days old when something similar happened, seems to be putting itself into park when i try to drive, it was towed back to the dealership yesterday. Any one have any experience with refunds. Under Australian consumer laws i am entitled to a refund if the car wont drive, or if i would not have purchased it knowing it would develop a major fault in just two weeks. Will MG fight me on this, has anyone here asked for a refund ?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back