• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Help! Can no longer access in-car SatNav

ARealHuman

Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Help! I've just updated the maps and other files as per this post and everything seemed to go through as it should. The trouble is now I can't use the satnav! It gets as far as the screen with the conditions which you have to press accept, but my touch on the word "accept" isn't registering so I can't get past this screen :mad: Does anyone have any ideas please? I've tried it with the car in/out of ready mode, reinstalled the updated maps (which processes really quickly) but nothing can get my touch to register on the word "accept". I see there is a reset option under system settings, but will that reset everything and get rid of the Comfort 2 update?

Many thanks in advance.

How did you reinstall the maps, did you go through the whole procedure of taking a footprint then checking naviextras again ?

Yes I did it several times - three in total - and it shows updates each time, the same files, and downloading/instaling on to a FAT32 pen drive is very quick, as installing in the car, so I dunno what the hell's going on! Either way, my touch on the word "accept" won't register :unsure:

You can’t reverse comfort 2 I know that. Sorry I can’t help with maps as I tried the in car navigation aNd then swore never to use it.

google maps on CarPlay with real time traffic is too good.

Try a full infotainment system reset, press and hold the home button until the screen goes off and the MG symbol come back on..

It's a known issue. I (and a few others) have the same problem with the "frozen" screen. You can send a message to Naviextras. You get a response from László.
Today i get a response from him.
We have already seen a few cases like yours, and a recovery package did help some of them. Can you still take a fingerprint (the data the head unit copies to the USB at the beginning of the update process), from the car? Could you send it to me, please?
I'll need to look into those files in more detail to see how we can proceed.

The link to the helpdesk. Service Desk

Hi All, thanks for the replies. I've tried a reset in the systems settings, no joy. Tried the button reset above too, all rebooted but still won;t register my touch on the satnac "accept" screen :mad:

Just phoned the dealer - they questioned the legitimacy of the naviextras website, sugesting it might not be affiliated with MG. I've had to book in a visit :(

Had a thought - as many of you will know, when software goes arwy on a PC, one of the first solutions is to uninstall/reinstall. I'd like to try that with the satnav sofware but obviosuly it's not as accesible as a PC and will have it's own distinct OS. So, I thought of this:

1. Get a fingerprint from a car that hasn't had it's satnav sofwtare updated, and use this to update maps via Naviextras, or...
2. Get the updated map files as downloaded to another USB drive when someone else has done the update and try to update this to my car.

The only blocker I can see relates to unique IDs the cars/satnav uses which may prevent a reinstall. Does anyone have any thoughts? Does anyone have either sets of file sin 1 or 2 above I can try please?

I want to try this myself as I don;t have full confidence in my dealer, who weren't even aware of Naviextras and told me the maps were updated duirng the comfort 2 update (which they're not).

Many thanks :)

As you say I think the "fingerprint" is unique to each car so it probably wouldn't work on or from another car.
I would try removing the power supply to the Nav unit by removing the fuse and leave it for 10 minutes then re-install, it may not work but it's worth a try, as you probably know that's also another way to reset a PC or a phone sometimes.

Grat idea @Kithmo (y) Any idea which fuse it is? Just had a look at the pdf manual on my phone and there's nothing obvious for the satnav/media unit. Lots of abbreviations for fuses, but none that make any immeidate sense to me!

Maybe disconnect the 12v battery negative for 10 minutes ?

Maybe disconnect the 12v battery negative for 10 minutes ?

Thanks. Would that run the risk of resettig any other electrical components that would need recalibrating when repowered? Sorry for all the questions....

Thanks. Would that run the risk of resettig any other electrical components that would need recalibrating when repowered? Sorry for all the questions....
Not if all the windows, skyroof and the skyroof blind are closed according to the manual. I think the worst that could happen is that you may have to re-tune the radio, although there's no mention of that in the manual so maybe not.
P.s. make sure you have the keys on you when you disconnect the battery, I've heard rumours that the doors lock automatically on some cars with keyless entry when you disconnect the 12v battery, although I don't see/know how this works when the battery is disconnected and there's no power to the locks. :unsure:

Last edited:
I believe it’s recommended to disconnect the battery if you’re not using the car for a while.

@ARealHuman btw I’ve endured some three minute adverts for you lol. They are not effective but saying that I now own cannabis penny stocks for some reason.

@ARealHuman I was watching your play through of American mcgees Alice, so I was watching three minute adverts about cannabis penny stocks. Normally I Adblock or skip, but for you I figured it might help if I let them play.

Good luck and stop tinkering with a 30k car lol;)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom