Help - can't get ZS to charge

abucksdiver

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Just taken my new ZSEV to work to use the free chargers, but can't get the car to take a charge!
It's a 'dumb' rolec charger, just plug and play.
The car says "connecting" then "Charge stopped"
Tapping the "Start Charge" button moves to ""Preparing" then back to "Charge stopped"

What shod I do to get it charging?

Just taken my new ZSEV to work to use the free chargers, but can't get the car to take a charge!
It's a 'dumb' rolec charger, just plug and play.
The car says "connecting" then "Charge stopped"
Tapping the "Start Charge" button moves to ""Preparing" then back to "Charge stopped"

What shod I do to get it charging?
Is the charge timer set in the car? If so you need to turn it off

OK, so tried with timer off, and with it set to a time that includes now...
My process:
Unlock car
Plug in Type 2 cable (I've tried first to car, and first to charger)
Sit in car
Foot on Brake
Press the big start button.
After bootup, tap "Charging" on screen
Wait for "Connecting" to finish
Tap "Start Charging" - button changes to "Preparing"
Wait
Label at the top changes to "Charging stopped" and "Preparing" drops back to "Start Charging"
Tap "Start charging"
etc.
I found that if I got out the car, I could not lock it... (Horn sounded.)
Am I doing something wrong?

Does this mean it's now charging?
I checked the boot was shut and plugged in the Type 2 and got this on the driver screen...
(Didn't put the car in Ready mode, or touch the touchscreen...)

Attachments

• PXL_20220927_075406980.jpg
    PXL_20220927_075406980.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 105
Rolec plug and charge at my workplace is free to use but I had to be issued with RFID card from reception allocated to me personally to keep for current and future use. Wouldn't work until I had the card even though free charger.

Rolec plug and charge at my workplace is free to use but I had to be issued with RFID card from reception allocated to me personally to keep for current and future use. Wouldn't work until I had the card even though free charger.
Work assure me that no app or RFID card is needed...

I'll give it an hour, and then go down and see if the %age charge has increased...
Luckily, I have enough range remaining to get me home tonight to try my home charger...

Is it one of the old chargers where you can see the rcd though a window is it on?
Screenshot_20220927_091831.jpg

I copied this from an earlier post on charging.

Charging
“Using an AC charging device:
1 Ensure the vehicle power system is OFF and all doors are closed.
2 Open the charging port door, remove the waterproof plug cover from the 7 pin charging plug connector.
3 Plug the cable from the charger point into the vehicle. Lock the vehicle.
4 On completion of the charge, shut off the power, unlock the vehicle and disconnect the plug from the vehicle.
5 Ensure the charge socket is free from debris, fit the waterproof plug cover. Close the charging point door.”

Also attached is doc I have been collating from other posts for when I get my car on Thursday, it may help you with other topics

Attachments

• Handy Info MG.pdf
    412.4 KB · Views: 150
On the old type Rolec units, the constant steady blue light means the wall box is in the standby mode.
It should be like this before you plug in the car.
When it is charging, the light on the Rolec will turn a constant steady green colour !.

Yes and yes, and the little blue light is flashing...
Google search found this?
Flashing blue light means it is on but nothing is connected. Steady blue means you've usually just plugged in the cable and its waiting for you to plug in the car.
Screenshot_20220927_092717.jpg

Last edited:
I have the older dumb Rolec unit at home.
When the wall box is sitting at rest, there should be a constant blue light on the front of the unit.
Try this, make sure you don’t have a delay timer set first !.
Power down the car and leave, go straight around to the front of the car and plug in the cable.
Lock the door.
You should hear the cable lock into the car.
There will be a short pause while the wall box communicates with the car.
The lights inside of the charge port should be blue in colour.
You should hear a sharp clunk from the Rolec as it starts the charge.
Your lights on the Rolec should now change from blue to green and the lights in the charge port like wise !.
If you go straight to the drivers window, you will see a message on the dash panel to say it is charging, but do not unlock the car, or the charging will stop !!!!.
When it is charging, you could check in the App from your desk.
When the charge is complete, simply return to the car and unlock the doors with the fob and pull out the charging lead from the charging port straight away.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom