Help car not charging (either cable)

NickyJ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi All, came here in desperate hope for anything I can do. I have had my car for 18months and have done just over 15k miles.

Last night the car didn't charge -originally blamed the update pushed out to home charger. It didnt start charge via schedule nor when I pressed boost. I unplugged and retried couple of times and left in boost mode and went back to bed (was 1:30am!).

Tried a BP 7kw charger while daughter was swimming. Kept flashing between blue and green, then giving up. Failed to initiate charge. This was using same cable as at home.

Got home switched to 3 pin charger. Still same. The lights on charger show power, the green charging light is flashing and the fault light is NOT lit.

All this time car just reports "connected but not charging"

I have tried hoovering the connectors in case dirt impacting connections. Factory reset from car menu.

I have checked warning menu no error messages

My range now down to 50 miles. So enough to get to the nearest MG dealer at 20plus miles away but god knows how long before getting warranty appointment. Leaves me with no car in meantime as daren't drive any further now.

Any other things I can do at home?

Thank you

My MG ZS will not intiate a charge. It keeps saying "connected but not charging".

I have had the car 18months and done over 15K.

I have tried 3 different Type 2 7kwh charge points with same cable. One of these being my home one.

I have tried 3pin charger. This is not reporting a fault and the green light that indicates charging is flashing. I now can't recall whether that is solid normally?

I have tried hoovering the charge port on car just incase something was blocking a contact. I have tried factory reset via the car menu.

When I plug in car you can hear it locking the connector.

Please can anybody offer any other suggestions I can do at home? Thank you so very much.

My MG ZS will not intiate a charge. It keeps saying "connected but not charging".

I have had the car 18months and done over 15K.

I have tried 3 different Type 2 7kwh charge points with same cable. One of these being my home one.

I have tried 3pin charger. This is not reporting a fault and the green light that indicates charging is flashing. I now can't recall whether that is solid normally?

I have tried hoovering the charge port on car just incase something was blocking a contact. I have tried factory reset via the car menu.

When I plug in car you can hear it locking the connector.

Please can anybody offer any other suggestions I can do at home? Thank you so very much.
Have you double check that there's no timers or charge limits on the car that mysteriously turned on

You say you've tried 3 chargers with the same cable . Have you tried a different cable ?
3 chargers (if you count the other side of same post as a separate one) with 1 cable and a completely separate cable (the granny charger) of the 3 pin.

I guess so??? 2021 plate (18months). It is the 44kwh battery version.
If you have the large lift up chrome MG badge in the centre of the front grill of the car, then you have the original ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) model.
It helps to know the model as advice can differ on each different model.

If you have the large lift up chrome MG badge in the centre of the front grill of the car, then you have the original ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) model.
It helps to know the model as advice can differ on each different model.
Yes thats the one
Apologies, didnt know how to find out - hence giving age.

As you have NO delay charge facilities internally on the Gen 1 we can discount that.
I am assuming you have a Smart untethered wall box at home of course, because you mention tying to use the “Boost Button” that is not responding to your command ?.
If I am correct, I was considering if you had a delay time set up for “Off Peak” charging times, but if I understand it correctly, the “Boost” button should over ride any delay time settings anyway ???.
You are using the SAME type 2 cable at home and for use on a public charger, just worth bearing in that one in mind for now then !.
But I think you said you tried using another 7 Kw public post with a tethered cable and that did not work either ?.
So, you have now tried the three pin Granny cable and that will not work either.
Very long shot, but you could try plugging in your Granny cable into your neighbours house next door ?.
At least this totally eliminates your house electrics ??.
If all these fail, then the only other suggestion would be trying to collect a charge from a local CCS rapid charger, if you have one close enough ?.
If this works, then this would suggest the problem is with the car on the A/C charging side maybe ???.
D/C rapid charging uses more direct route to charge the HV battery and the A/C side ( like used for your wall box / public / Granny at home etc ) is not required.
It does sound like an issue for the dealer to investigate to be honest.
Once the dealer has established the fault and reported back to MG themselves, they will authorise the dealer to order the necessary parts ( if required ).
The dealer could offer you a loan car, but if not available, they can contact MG after sales who can grant a loan car from a local hire company.
I found myself in a similar situation when we had a brake problem on our Gen1 model about 18 months ago.
MG after sales granted us a hire car until the two replacement parts arrived and was then quickly installed by the dealership.
The issue was resolved and the hire car returned, just three days short of one month !.

So local dealer warranty slot booked bit earliest is 20th April!!! I am down for cancellations appointments and asked if somebody from servicing can call on Monday with anything to try at home. I don't own the car as it is via Tusker salary sacrifice deal, so suspect won't get a courtesy car to use in mean time. Will try though, I didnt pay extra each month for one as part of the scheme, as frankly wouldn't expect failure in first 3 years.... however maybe I was naive there.

We don't have any fast chargers particularly close to us (will check the town ones) and need to preserve whats left in battery to get car over to the dealer which is over 20miles away.

Yes both home and public charger are untethered, so my own cable.

But switching to granny cable ensures it isn't the cable.

I have been using that same cable as socket as recently as last week to force it to charge just of solar as my home smart charger had dropped of network so wasn't doing the solar charging, so that is a known working plug

Have you tried locking the car ?

And the usual fall back of disconnecting the 12v for a couple of minutes to reset ?

And the usual fall back of disconnecting the 12v for a couple of minutes to reset ?
No haven't tried this. Saw reference but wasn't certain what this helps with.

So just take big crocodile clips of the "normal" car battery? 5mins long enough?

So just take big crocodile clips of the "normal" car battery? 5mins long enough?
Yes, just remove the earth connection for a couple of minutes (5 is plenty), this should reset any ECUs that have gone into failsafe modes for no (apparent) reason. Not guaranteed to fix your problem but worth a try.

Just the black - negative one is enough you will need a 10mm spanner 10mins is recommended 5mins should be plenty

But switching to granny cable ensures it isn't the cable.
I totally agree, but as you have mentioned that your wall box dropped out and you have solar etc.
I would be tempted to try your Granny unit at another independent address other than your own !.
It’s a process of elimination really and the more checks you have attempted yourself, will provide more information for the dealer when he calls.
If the 12 volt battery disconnect does not resolve the charging issue, then it’s over to the dealer I am afraid.

Have you tried using the granny charger previously? (you mention charging off solar but not sure if that was with the granny). Just trying to eliminate a faulty granny. As other have said, a trip to your neighbour would eliminate a local house problem.
Have you any internet over mains added recently? If so turn this off and try again, or try at a neighbours house who does not have internet over mains. This has caused many Mk1 users to have problems charging.
When you plug in the type 2 cable, can you hear the car locking the plug? If not, check the locking pin.
As others have said, the car may still DC charge on a rapid CCS charger as this bypasses the AC to DC power supply in the car. Worth trying as it keeps the car usable, but I take your point about not wanting to waste the remaining battery if it does not work.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom