Help! LKA - can’t turn off - at all!

When I learned to drive I used to indicate all all the time until I did an advanced driving course and had this habit hammered out of me. A driver should be fully aware of all vehicles, pedestrians and other hazards and only I indicate when doing so would benefit another person was what I was taught.
I have a friend in fire service and their new vehicles all have lka apparently which the drivers all deem dangerous when on a blue light call. Unfortunately this unnecessary feature seems here to stay on all modern vehicles.
I recently wrote to MG and told them I would be prepared to provide testimony in court regarding the dangers of lka based on my experience with it should any MG4 be involved in a series or fatal crash.

You won't have any luck with MG as LKA is part of the NCAP rating. See Lane Support | Euro NCAP

I accept that it’s part of their 5 star rating BUT the system, as implemented, is not fit for purpose. It needs some serious improvement and a product recall to update to something that isn’t dangerous.

I accept that it’s part of their 5 star rating BUT the system, as implemented, is not fit for purpose. It needs some serious improvement and a product recall to update to something that isn’t dangerous.
If youre sure it's dangerous and it seems from several posters in this thread that it could be better, you need to jointly communicate with DVSA. Some guys on the Range Rover forum have done this over a safety issue on L405 Range Rovers and it is resulting in recalls by JLR after them denying there were issues.

I have found that all you need to do to prevent LKA from giving you a shock is to indicate when you switch lanes. I have driven a few motorway miles now and had zero issues.

So I guess the idea is if you leave the lane without indicating the it stops an accident.

The only time I have trouble is country roads, especially two directional carriage ways with a line down the middle. Because they are narrow it is super easy to cross a line on either side.
Using the indicator with R33 most of the time will prevent Lane Killing Assist from kicking in but it is not entirely consistent. Having had the latest software upgrade it is a lot less aggressive but it still does dumb things when it comes across lane closures or replaced lane markings on the road. It also does not always disengage when the speed drops below 40MPH. So I still switch it off for anything other than short trips. My next step is to try and have it permanently disabled, but I don't hold out much hope as it is a requirement for the EuroNCAP rating and I suspect it will affect my insurance if it is messed about with on an individual car basis. And this issue is not unique to MG4 EV's, friends with other makes of car moan about this feature too. "Assists" should never default "on" they should always be options to select if wanted but it seems EuroNCAP didn't anticipate the way it would just be dumped on cars. I have reported the issues to EuroNCAP who say they are aware of the problem and are looking into it across the manufacturing base. I reported to the DVSA, but they were useless, they stated that because it is possible for the driver to disengage the feature they did not consider it a safety issue!

If the theme is set to Auto, then when the lights go on/off the theme changes (dark/light) ... the theme change also seems to reset LKA to default (on some cars - I haven't notice it happen on mine - maybe it's a Trophy foible).

I think we have an answer to this. The people who have reported this fault all seem to be driving Trophies.

I took my SE out this morning along a quiet country road with a magazine placed on the fascia. I simulated dark/light switching by pushing the magazine across the light sensor and removing it again, thus causing the infotainment screen (set at auto) to switch between dark and light. I did it several times, and the LKA stayed off the whole time.

Trophy bug. Nice to know they have some too, and it's not just the SE. (Trophies do this weird thing with the visibility of the temperature/fan settings when you press the right star button too, I think. SEs behave.)

I think we have an answer to this. The people who have reported this fault all seem to be driving Trophies.

I took my SE out this morning along a quiet country road with a magazine placed on the fascia. I simulated dark/light switching by pushing the magazine across the light sensor and removing it again, thus causing the infotainment screen (set at auto) to switch between dark and light. I did it several times, and the LKA stayed off the whole time.

Trophy bug. Nice to know they have some too, and it's not just the SE. (Trophies do this weird thing with the visibility of the temperature/fan settings when you press the right star button too, I think. SEs behave.)
What a strange mentality, youre pleased another group has some problems.

There has been reported problems with the Trophy AC star buttons but I have not suffered from it. The AC page does not display all the time and I suspect the software believes other info, eg nav data, has higher priority. The AC control is still active in the background until the star button is pressed again when the display reports it 'disabled'. (The software seems to like that word rather than 'switched off' or similar.)

That could certainly explain it. I just read a bunch of people complaining that their AC screen only flashed on for a second then disappeared, as if they thought that was a problem, or unexpected behaviour.

That could certainly explain it. I just read a bunch of people complaining that their AC screen only flashed on for a second then disappeared, as if they thought that was a problem, or unexpected behaviour.
They have the star button set for AC and press the joystick to show the AC screen. The problem comes when instead of using the joystick to adjust the fan speed or temperature they reach across to try and adjust the settings on the infotainment screen.

What they were saying was that when they pressed the right star button the AC screen only flashed on for a second or so, not long enough to see what adjustments they were making.

In my SE the screen stays there, so when I move the joystick to change the temperature or the fan speed, I can see these changes take effect. When I see the numbers I want, I press the star button again and the screen politely goes away.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back