Help! LKA - can’t turn off - at all!

Possibly but in reality it's not that strong a push in my limited experience.

I can see that being problematic.

LOL, yes that conjures up quite a picture.

Agreed, I hate touch screens in cars.

Can you not program one of the user programmable buttons on the steering wheel for this?

The strength of the push seems to vary between cars, either that or driver tolerance for it varies a lot. Personally, I'm against the idea of my car doing things I haven't told it to do. I'm prepared to leave the automatic emergency stop on because I can see that might be a life-saver, and it's never activated for me without a reason (even though the reason was an over-reaction). But the LKA is always interfering, and I find its twitching of the steering wheel extremely disconcerting.

I might be inclined to turn it on if I thought I was in danger of getting drowsy and it was a little way to the next motorway service station or other reasonable rest stop, but basically if you need that thing you almost certainly should not be behind the wheel in the first place.

LKA is by far the worst feature on the car. I was on the A12 in 40mph roadworks in a contraflow and LKA was making the car pinball off each side. If my wife wasn’t in the passenger seat and able to turn it off for me and I had to try with one hand we’d have crashed into one of the barriers!!!
Also our turns back on when the lights come on, either in automatic mode or when switched manually- making it every time we pass under some trees or a tunnel that we have to go through the menu system again. It’s just simply not fit for purpose and WILL cause a death. I wouldn’t want to be MG when it does!

That is an assumption (and probably correct given previous posts) but it is not stated in @thrills post. Confirmation would be useful to back up the previous Auto change/LKA On hypothesis.

Sorry. Are you saying that the switching of the lights, automatically or manually, triggers a change to the Infotainment Display if that is set to 'Auto' and that is why LKA resets to 'On'?

My Infotainment Display is set to 'Light' so I have never seen this.

@thrills

Is your Infotainment Display in Light, Dark or Auto?
Do you mean the screen automatically changing to light/dark mode when the head lights switch on? I think it’s in auto I.e. when the lights are switched on the screen goes dark. To be honest, I haven’t checked to see if manually setting the screen to stay in light or dark mode fixes the LKA staying off when lights come on, but having said that surely that’s not desirable behaviour?! #buggysoftware
For clarity - LKA switches back on when you OR the car turns on the head lights.
I will test if setting the infotainment screen to permanent dark/light mode fixes LKA toggling and report back.

Sorry. Are you saying that the switching of the lights, automatically or manually, triggers a change to the Infotainment Display if that is set to 'Auto' and that is why LKA resets to 'On'?

My Infotainment Display is set to 'Light' so I have never seen this.

Yes, apparently it does. I didn't notice it happening when I was playing silly buggers with the sensor cover the other day, but several people have reported it so I assume I just didn't notice.

Sorry, that's not quite right, I don't think. It's the change to the infotainment screen that makes the LKA come on, not the lights as such. Although as I said, I didn't notice it the other day. I probably wasn't paying attention to that.

If the theme is set to Auto, then when the lights go on/off the theme changes (dark/light) ... the theme change also seems to reset LKA to default (on some cars - I haven't notice it happen on mine - maybe it's a Trophy foible).

Maybe it is. I need to check, I have had mine on light more or less since I got the car. I only switched to auto for the sensor cover experiment the other day. I was in the village and there aren't many white lines at all. I didn't notice the LKA come on with the screen change but I couldn't swear it didn't happen.

The LKA on my 3 month old Trophy is not in any way effected by lights going off and on or the state of infotainment screen. I turn LKA off on all but very short journeys.

Confirmed, changing from light to dark screen turns LKA back on on the Trophy. Not seen this as I always use dark display.
Surely can’t be desired behaviour? Must be a bug.
Mine is going in to the dealer for another LKA update (third time) this week, will report back…

On my IAM course I was taught to differentiate between moving to the right to pass something and actually turning right. Turning right, we were to 'consider' a signal, and I had to verbalise my decision why I did or did not use indicators ( no-one to benefit- no need to indicate) That was to ensure I really was considering and not just forgetting.

If I needed to pass an obstruction, cyclist, horse etc, I was taught to move to the right allowing anyone following to see the situation in sufficient time to plan accordingly. I was not to signal so that there was no confusion whether I was going to continue ahead, or about to slow down to turn right.

On my IAM course I was taught to differentiate between moving to the right to pass something and actually turning right. Turning right, we were to 'consider' a signal, and I had to verbalise my decision why I did or did not use indicators ( no-one to benefit- no need to indicate) That was to ensure I really was considering and not just forgetting.

If I needed to pass an obstruction, cyclist, horse etc, I was taught to move to the right allowing anyone following to see the situation in sufficient time to plan accordingly. I was not to signal so that there was no confusion whether I was going to continue ahead, or about to slow down to turn right.

Totally agree. LKA needs shooting through the head and burying with a stake through its heart. But failing that, we turn the damn thing off.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back